Can I recover bricked device from Mask ROM mode?
Great to see you found a way out Smile

Pine64 has not provided factory image, as far as I know, but I would bet they're just using the standard Manjaro/Plasma image, because 1/ everything can be changed on a linux system, you don't get protected storage, so any change made by Pine64 would be at risk to be overwritten by a further update, unless they decide to publish their own distro, and 2/ that would not be required anyway, given both Manjaro and KDE are specifically targetting the Pinephone. So it's already made to work with the Pinephone/Pinephone Pro, and if Pine64 wants a change, they can just submit a patch upstream instead of having to fork anything. Just an educated guess, of course.

Note that even if Pine64 indeed just flashes a public Manjaro/Plasma images and you do the same, you will only have the exact same state as when you received the phone if you flash the same version of the image, which would require some guess game. I don't think that would be very useful either : you may want to do that to revert to the last known working state, but it was not working in your case.

I agree with Conjada that you may want instead to wipe out the eMMC and install the OS on the SD card (you can still set up a filesystem on the eMMC and use it as storage, the wipe out is just about deleting the boot partition), because it would make testing various OSes slightly easier : you don't have to hold the RE button each time you want to boot on the SD card. But no big deal if you install on the eMMC, you just have to remember to use that button, and you may not try new systems that often.
(02-01-2022, 07:07 AM)ojimek Wrote: Great to see you found a way out Smile

Pine64 has not provided factory image, as far as I know, but I would bet they're just using the standard Manjaro/Plasma image, because 1/ everything can be changed on a linux system, you don't get protected storage, so any change made by Pine64 would be at risk to be overwritten by a further update, unless they decide to publish their own distro, and 2/ that would not be required anyway, given both Manjaro and KDE are specifically targetting the Pinephone. So it's already made to work with the Pinephone/Pinephone Pro, and if Pine64 wants a change, they can just submit a patch upstream instead of having to fork anything. Just an educated guess, of course.

Note that even if Pine64 indeed just flashes a public Manjaro/Plasma images and you do the same, you will only have the exact same state as when you received the phone if you flash the same version of the image, which would require some guess game. I don't think that would be very useful either : you may want to do that to revert to the last known working state, but it was not working in your case.

I agree with Conjada that you may want instead to wipe out the eMMC and install the OS on the SD card (you can still set up a filesystem on the eMMC and use it as storage, the wipe out is just about deleting the boot partition), because it would make testing various OSes slightly easier : you don't have to hold the RE button each time you want to boot on the SD card. But no big deal if you install on the eMMC, you just have to remember to use that button, and you may not try new systems that often.

Thanks @Ulfnic  and @Conjada and @ojimek.

I have wiped the eMMC and it now boots directly from SD card.

For another day (and thread) trying to install stock build on eMMC as a default, with SD card to try options - I wanted to put the stock back as the best chance to check the hardware (still can't get camera to work, or audio out to BT, or close apps that are open on many alternatives).
@Damage I think the camera Is in need of a driver. Also, when I installed Arch Phosh, I saw messages that bluetooth failed in some way. So, ill be looking into that.
Pinephone Pro enthusiast and SUPER-HYPED for PineTab 2! PT2 is AWESOME!
Former electrical engineer. Current rancher.

I know a lot about a few things, a little about a lot of things and am ignorant of an unknown number of things.
(02-01-2022, 10:55 AM)Damage Wrote: Thanks @Ulfnic  and @Conjada and @ojimek.

For another day (and thread) trying to install stock build on eMMC as a default, with SD card to try options - I wanted to put the stock back as the best chance to check the hardware (still can't get camera to work, or audio out to BT, or close apps that are open on many alternatives).

Brilliant!!

If you dont mind me asking did the "hold Re and insert power" do it or did you need to follow my instructions and "remove the battery&power, hold power button, put battery back, then hold Re and insert power"?
(02-04-2022, 03:05 AM)Ulfnic Wrote:
(02-01-2022, 10:55 AM)Damage Wrote: Thanks @Ulfnic  and @Conjada and @ojimek.

Brilliant!!

If you dont mind me asking did the "hold Re and insert power" do it or did you need to follow my instructions and "remove the battery&power, hold power button, put battery back, then hold Re and insert power"?
It worked for me using the RED and insert power method as described in the wiki - I didn't need to remove the battery.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Shutdown / Reboot PPP from TowBoot "Volume Up" USB Readable Drive Mode crocspot 2 512 11-19-2023, 09:08 AM
Last Post: DaForest
  PPP now used as main device. DaForest 3 945 11-18-2023, 07:21 AM
Last Post: crocspot
  PPP as daily device. DaForest 5 1,007 11-05-2023, 10:00 AM
Last Post: DaForest
  PPP as daily device Chief 5 3,285 04-23-2023, 09:53 PM
Last Post: dcc
  Need to re-write U-boot from Pinephone pro currently in mass rom mode wolverine1 6 2,707 11-20-2022, 05:58 AM
Last Post: wibble
  completely bricked? rmpek 7 4,268 03-04-2022, 02:45 AM
Last Post: fxc
  New Pinephone Pro won't boot, not even in recovery mode Kaiser958 21 12,784 03-02-2022, 04:40 AM
Last Post: bcnaz
  How to activate developer mode on PPP explorer tckosvic 2 1,916 02-14-2022, 10:30 AM
Last Post: tckosvic
  Phone bricked after update. Won't boot mando 5 3,581 02-13-2022, 02:33 AM
Last Post: bcnaz