Howto: Pinetab Screen Replacements (+ Pictures)
Big Grin 
Performed a screen replacement on my Pinetab (reusing and able to save all parts).

Wanted to document my own repair in case it helps others. - If you follow the steps/video closely you should be safe - be careful with screen. Smile

*MOST IMPORTANT OPENING TIPS:* (many more tips/video/pictures at the link below)

Follow a process of "peeling the cover off the screen." idea. Instead of: "peel the screen off the cover" (ie: more risky/screen pressure inducing)

I found 'thumbnail' ideal as tiny speaker wires line directly inside the cover. Metal/sharp tools would be a bit more risky to the wires.

IMHO, not hard to open once you get the general idea/hang of it down. Save unsnapping corners and (metal keyboard connectors) on bottom for LAST (start in mid point of each side beginning with top side)

(embedded video where I demonstrate opening Pinetab in link below)

(Note: currently screens are not available on Pine64 website, but if you are able to find one on ali (or other places), be sure to only use the same screen model!)

Read/see the process (with many pictures) here:
https://politictech.wordpress.com/2022/0...s-pinetab/

If anything isn't clear on any part of the disassembly/replacement process, happy to answer any questions. 
Smile
- RTP

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, in the expert's mind there are few." -Shunryu Suzuki

[ Pinephone Original | Pinetab v1 / v2 Enjoyer ]

Linux Device Privacy / Security Playlist

Thank you @RTP , I'll need to open mine up again to replace the motherboard some day. The WiFi in mine bricked itself for no reason at all. I have also been waiting for quite some time for the M.2 port to add an SSD inside. One day hopefully the Tab will get some love.

Quote:Firstly, I don't recommend ever taking apart your Pinetab unless you absolutely have to.

This is really sad. The entire point of owning an open source device is that you should be encouraged to open it up.

Using a clam shell for such a large display was a mistake - it is just asking to bend the display. It would have been infinitely better to have some M2 screws holding it in place instead.
(02-02-2022, 04:56 AM)barray Wrote: Thank you @RTP , I'll need to open mine up again to replace the motherboard some day. The WiFi in mine bricked itself for no reason at all. I have also been waiting for quite some time for the M.2 port to add an SSD inside. One day hopefully the Tab will get some love.

Quote:Firstly, I don't recommend ever taking apart your Pinetab unless you absolutely have to.

This is really sad. The entire point of owning an open source device is that you should be encouraged to open it up.

Using a clam shell for such a large display was a mistake - it is just asking to bend the display. It would have been infinitely better to have some M2 screws holding it in place instead.

Opened mine maybe around 20 or so times for different exploratory adjustments without so much as a scratch. Smile

It's absolutely a great device for opening/modification options! The cover design works well coming off and going back on without damage. But I don't know the limitations in screen, and try to play it safe and recommend that.

Only wrote initial warning after reading where others reported breaking their screens and so was hesitant to openly encourage it.
But it really is safe if someone is careful and follows the recommendations IMHO.

I think the way I open it is very safe. But there's always a concern when dealing with screens like this and a cover that is less "pop off" than the Pinephone design Wink

Following the "peel the cover off the screen, not the screen off the cover" advice is best IMHO.

I secretly encourage everyone to open it and tinker! It's really not hard to open! Big Grin

Thanks for your feed back! Smile
- RTP

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, in the expert's mind there are few." -Shunryu Suzuki

(02-02-2022, 04:03 PM)RTP Wrote: Opened mine maybe around 20 or so times for different exploratory adjustments without so much as a scratch. Smile

I think I had mine open 3-4 times now. Once when I first got it in excitement, second time to find the M.2 expansion slot (which I later realised is an add-on mod I cannot yet buy), and the last two times to try and fix the broken WiFi/BT chip.

(02-02-2022, 04:03 PM)RTP Wrote: It's absolutely a great device for opening/modification options! The cover design works well coming off and going back on without damage. But I don't know the limitations in screen, and try to play it safe and recommend that.

Only wrote initial warning after reading where others reported breaking their screens and so was hesitant to openly encourage it.
But it really is safe if someone is careful and follows the recommendations IMHO.

Sure, I still know of quite a few PineTabs that were killed this way. I still believe the best option would have been a case with screws - it would also have allowed for custom shells too!

Regarding modifications, I guess you have the SDR kit. I'm still waiting to see any modifications become available for the device on the store. The PineTab has been really neglected in both hardware and software.

I actually even have the device quite usable with a minimalist UI (that I have not had time to work on) based on wm2: https://github.com/danielbarry/oakwm/tre...ab-v1-arch I used it the other day to give a presentation and go through a code review on GitLab.

It uses less than 5 MB of RAM and next to no CPU, it's snappy. If there is some interest I can look to release it as an image.

(02-02-2022, 04:03 PM)RTP Wrote: I think the way I open it is very safe. But there's always a concern when dealing with screens like this and a cover that is less "pop off" than the Pinephone design Wink

I would love to see the next iteration have screws, even at the slight cost of form factor. Even Apple devices these days are becoming more repairable. I still maintain that not using the the modules in these devices was a mis-step, it would offer an unbelievably cool upgrade path.

(02-02-2022, 04:03 PM)RTP Wrote: Thanks for your feed back! Smile

No, thank you. And I've also enjoyed the content over on your site!

Out of interest, when you record videos, which device are you operating on and which software do you use? I was looking to do something similar on the PineTab.
(02-02-2022, 05:43 PM)barray Wrote:
(02-02-2022, 04:03 PM)RTP Wrote: Opened mine maybe around 20 or so times for different exploratory adjustments without so much as a scratch. Smile

I think I had mine open 3-4 times now. Once when I first got it in excitement, second time to find the M.2 expansion slot (which I later realised is an add-on mod I cannot yet buy), and the last two times to try and fix the broken WiFi/BT chip.

(02-02-2022, 04:03 PM)RTP Wrote: It's absolutely a great device for opening/modification options! The cover design works well coming off and going back on without damage.  But I don't know the limitations in screen, and try to play it safe and recommend that.

Sure, I still know of quite a few PineTabs that were killed this way. I still believe the best option would have been a case with screws - it would also have allowed for custom shells too!

Regarding modifications, I guess you have the SDR kit. I'm still waiting to see any modifications become available for the device on the store. The PineTab has been really neglected in both hardware and software.

I actually even have the device quite usable with a minimalist UI (that I have not had time to work on) based on wm2: https://github.com/danielbarry/oakwm/tre...ab-v1-arch I used it the other day to give a presentation and go through a code review on GitLab.

It uses less than 5 MB of RAM and next to no CPU, it's snappy. If there is some interest I can look to release it as an image.

(02-02-2022, 04:03 PM)RTP Wrote: I think the way I open it is very safe. But there's always a concern when dealing with screens like this and a cover that is less "pop off" than the Pinephone design Wink

I would love to see the next iteration have screws, even at the slight cost of form factor. Even Apple devices these days are becoming more repairable. I still maintain that not using the the modules in these devices was a mis-step, it would offer an unbelievably cool upgrade path.

(02-02-2022, 04:03 PM)RTP Wrote: Thanks for your feed back! Smile

No, thank you. And I've also enjoyed the content over on your site!

Out of interest, when you record videos, which device are you operating on and which software do you use? I was looking to do something similar on the PineTab.

I haven't been using anything to natively record on Pinetab - yet. But plan on doing some coming up as I find the best solution (that also records sound).

For the moment I am using Simple Screen recorder on a x86 laptop with ssh terminal open to make changes on Pinetab. Saving my Pinetab hardware - although it is actually capable of video editing if absolutely necessary (I tested Olive).
- RTP

(02-10-2022, 02:49 PM)RTP Wrote: I haven't been using anything to natively record on Pinetab - yet. But plan on doing some coming up as I find the best solution (that also records sound).

Interesting! You would most definitely want to do that h264, and even then it's not sure. You will want to checkout the Baseline encoding for h264 and cross your fingers: https://linux-sunxi.org/Cedrus (See also: https://bootlin.com/blog/wrapping-up-the...iver-work/ )

(02-10-2022, 02:49 PM)RTP Wrote: For the moment I am using Simple Screen recorder on a x86 laptop with ssh terminal open to make changes on Pinetab. Saving my Pinetab hardware - although it is actually capable of video editing if absolutely necessary (I tested Olive).

I've run some pretty intense stuff on it (not sure if that was a good idea), including transcoding. It gets pretty hot and with the default power profile it will likely drain battery faster than you can supply it with power.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pinetab2 screen removal Corconegre 5 1,180 01-10-2024, 08:08 AM
Last Post: stozi
  Not able to power on PineTab anymore zkajdan 3 355 12-26-2023, 04:38 PM
Last Post: FortunateFowl
Question Will Pinetab 2 spare parts be available? vatin 6 1,402 12-09-2023, 01:31 AM
Last Post: tllim
  ?brighter screen replacement for pinetab (>1600 nits) dynobang 0 486 09-28-2023, 01:06 PM
Last Post: dynobang
  [Tutorial] How to overclock Pinetab 2 Darth-Apple 0 730 09-25-2023, 08:45 AM
Last Post: Darth-Apple
  External Reset button on PineTab V? michaelengel 0 481 09-18-2023, 06:31 AM
Last Post: michaelengel
  PineTab2 screen won't turn back on until reboot KelsonV 3 926 08-23-2023, 09:08 AM
Last Post: diederik
  Pinetab 2 screen no longer coming on Fibonacci 9 2,707 06-30-2023, 08:26 AM
Last Post: Purple_Illusion
  Pinetab completely bricked Saksmito 8 2,391 06-10-2023, 04:23 PM
Last Post: fxc
  What RISC-V chip will the PineTab-V use? msm 2 1,572 04-05-2023, 06:58 PM
Last Post: msm