Most functional distro, as of now
any hints ?
At the moment, I would say Arch/Phosh for the new Pro series phones, ---- and Mobian/Phosh for the original Pine phones.

As far as working "out of the box" ....

This could change with the next update .. !
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
Any updates to this thread? I'm running https://github.com/dreemurrs-embedded/Pi...h/releases

* suspend works about 5% of the time. Otherwise it just locks up and I have to power cycle
* power cycling results in the Tux screen and spinning arrow with no successful boot about 50% of the time
* power on with battery or USB cable results in the Tux screen and spinning arrow with no successful boot 50% of the time
* updates were working via Software -> Updates until about a week ago. Now having to run pacman -S -u to get updates
* reboot after updating results in Tux screen and spinning arrow with no booting about 60% of the time

Hardware is PinePhone Pro Explorer
I have archlinux-pinephone-phosh-20220222 running on the PPP. The phone wakes up form suspend via the power button or with a phone call. Phone call quality is good and I have been able to send texts, but can't send or receive pictures. also the GUI for updating software does not work. on Ultra mobile network.
I havent been able to mess with my PPP in a little while. Coming out of winter on the ranch is a busy time of year. But, i am running ArchPhosh and update via terminal with sudo pacman -Syyu and it is working normally as of this morning.
Pinephone Pro enthusiast and SUPER-HYPED for PineTab 2! PT2 is AWESOME!
Former electrical engineer. Current rancher.

I know a lot about a few things, a little about a lot of things and am ignorant of an unknown number of things.
(04-09-2022, 09:34 PM)S H Wrote: I have archlinux-pinephone-phosh-20220222 running on the PPP. The phone wakes up form suspend via the power button or with a phone call. Phone call quality is good and I have been able to send texts, but can't send or receive pictures. also the GUI for updating software does not work. on Ultra mobile network.

This is an update to the above post. the battery life is fantastic, last for 2 days with occasional use and standby.  was able send pictures via text and receive them after the update this morning, the update came as a message and the GUI was functional. (i know about updating via terminal but I was specifically referring to updating via the GUI)
so...
phone calls send and revive work
texting works (SSM and MMS)
going into power saving standby and waking up via power button, when receiving a text and when receiving a phone call works.
no problem with web browser use or downloading files
installing additional apps works

So i would say that this version of archlinux is functional as a daily driver

(04-12-2022, 05:03 PM)S H Wrote: phone calls send and revive work
texting works (SSM and MMS)
going into power saving standby and waking up via power button, when receiving a text and when receiving a phone call works.

Based on this report, I decided to try archlinux-pinephone-pro-phosh-20220222 and I am thrilled with the results. To the list of working features I would add and clarify:
* Battery indicator reports charge status and battery level accurately (still takes a minute to notice when cable is plugged/unplugged).
* Battery actually charges, at least when phone is suspended.
* All sound works after resuming from long suspend, including both ends of a phone call.

All of these things were issues for me under the latest unstable Manjaro Phosh. Once I confirmed that the above features worked, I immediately ran "sudo pacman -Syyu" to upgrade everything, rebooted and everything still works. The PPP is running 5.17 kernel. I feel much better now about having an early iteration of PPP.

I run Tow-Boot. Arch image is installed on MicroSD. On boot, I press Volume Down button when I see the red LED and hold it until the LED is blue; this boots SD instead of MMC.

I can't yet speak for how long the battery lasts, but there is a new option, "Power Mode", under Settings > Power which allows to select between Balanced and Power Save modes.

Finally, I want to like KDE but I prefer Phosh; it is faster, and Settings does not require password.
I prefer Arch/pmOS style (tap top/bottom bar) over Manjaro style (swipe top/bottom bar).
I spoke too soon. The first call I received when phone was asleep for a long time had no audio on either end. I rebooted and called the person back, they heard a serious echo. Also, the battery charge does not increase at all with the Pro plugged in to my laptop. I have to charge the battery in my Beta for now.
(04-22-2022, 10:23 AM)grinzie Wrote: I spoke too soon. The first call I received when phone was asleep for a long time had no audio on either end. I rebooted and called the person back, they heard a serious echo. Also, the battery charge does not increase at all with the Pro plugged in to my laptop. I have to charge the battery in my Beta for now.

USB ports on PCs and laptops only provide 0.5 A by default if they don't support PD or if it didn't get negotiated properly. Would recommend charging the phone only with proper wall chargers with over 1 A, as 0.5 A is not enough for most modern phones nowadays. You can check the "powersupply" app to see the amperage it negotiated.
(04-23-2022, 01:59 AM)fxc Wrote:
(04-22-2022, 10:23 AM)grinzie Wrote: I spoke too soon. The first call I received when phone was asleep for a long time had no audio on either end. I rebooted and called the person back, they heard a serious echo. Also, the battery charge does not increase at all with the Pro plugged in to my laptop. I have to charge the battery in my Beta for now.

USB ports on PCs and laptops only provide 0.5 A by default if they don't support PD or if it didn't get negotiated properly. Would recommend charging the phone only with proper wall chargers with over 1 A, as 0.5 A is not enough for most modern phones nowadays. You can check the "powersupply" app to see the amperage it negotiated.

I second that, I was told by the pine phone support to get a 3 amp charger when having similar issues.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Distro with suspend Frost1776 6 4,092 03-10-2022, 04:42 PM
Last Post: dukla2000