Most functional distro, as of now
I can't consider manjaro-plasma as anywhere near functional.  Every time I think I have things stable, I get bit somewhere else. I am gradually being convinced by the comments of others that phosh is more functiional than plasma.  So I might try manjaro-phosh.

I feel shakey about the install process to eMMC so I will probably try manjaro-phosh from an sd card.  Then perhaps arch-phosh.

tom kosvic
Yeah a bit safer running from the sd cards, and easier to just swap out systems in a minute or two.

But the performance sure takes a big hit using sd cards compared to running on the emmc.

On the Pro series of Pine phones, the read speed of the emmc is about 7 times faster than the read speed of the sd card..!
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
Thanks, everyone, for sharing your experiences. So far, I found the stock OS pretty unusable. Surely there are more recent versions, but it eats the battery quickly even with the charger plugged in. I didn't have time to do much with it.

Will try some of these others and see how it goes, or maybe I can simply update from stock.

Stoked about the new hardware, which brings it into a more modern class of phone performance. I think we'll be able to get the original to run decently but it sure doesn't hurt to have far better performance or more RAM.
------
it doesn't get happy
it doesn't get sad
it just runs programs
(02-08-2022, 09:34 PM)kaida Wrote: I tried Manjaro (plasma and phosh) , Arch (plasma and phosh and sxmo) and postmarketos phosh

I must say for now that definitely phosh feels more stable than plasma to me and Arch seems to also feel like the most stable so for me it's arch phosh for now

I had some weird bug in manjaro , and no phone audio on postmarket and sms were hit and miss

reinstalled arch phosh and received all my missed sms , and audio works in calls, although on arch plasma the setting appears all blank to me , so thats why I stick to phosh

Agreed. DD'd Arch Phosh since early December with fewer issues, compared to periodic tests of Mobian and PMOS.
I just switched back to Manjaro Phosh from Arch Phosh. At this moment in time, Manjaro seems a bit more stable. Till we have the power issues fixed though, nothing is going to be what I would consider stable enough to brag about.
(02-11-2022, 09:39 PM)Otter Wrote: I just switched back to Manjaro Phosh from Arch Phosh. At this moment in time, Manjaro seems a bit more stable. Till we have the power issues fixed though, nothing is going to be what I would consider stable enough to brag about.

Arch Phosh can suspend if you run it from SD card and have the eMMC wiped of any distros. Arch can also suspend from eMMC as long as tow-boot is installed. Arch generally handles power better than Manjaro at this point. Manjaro still fails to wake from suspend even with the above conditions met.
I'm using Arch with sxmo. so far the phone is able to suspend and wake up. The hardware keyboard is able to charge the internal battery _very_ slowly, but at least it charges it. I'm able to use the phone with both ssh and foot terminal with the onscreen keyboard, and of course the hardware one.

My main concern is the battery charging as anybody else it seems but the situation improves Smile

I've upgrade all the packages , including the bootloader, to the latest revisions from the default repositories.
Arch Phosh is seeming the most stable now. I have been switching around updating and testing but only on Phosh. Plasma seems to have it's own issues and is a much larger build. Sxmo looks great but i have big fingers and it takes a bit more of a precise touch. So I have reduced my focus to Phosh for testing purposes, which is good since I only have three micro SD cards free for swapping out.
On my Explorer Pro - Phosh/Arch (Dremurs) Runs amazingly well just "out of the box" I Just installed it, did the set up, onward to test driving it.

Test driving via sd card.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
On the PPP, which distribution is able to work out of the box (or with little tweaks) with :
 1. suspend / resume without crash
 2. correct battery management : no battery draining during normal use
 3. leds working
 4. phone calls, sms working
 5. mms working too
 6. can install on the emmc
 7. lcd display fast enough (little or no lagging)
 8. can install with encryption
 9. sensors working
10. cameras working
11. gps working

Requirements from 1 to 5 are mandatory for me, otherwise what is the point ?

Requirements 6 and 7 are somewhat linked as I heard that the emmc was way much faster
that any sd card.

I heard that currently, encrypted installation is possible but broken.

Also, it is not clear if sensors, cameras and gps work well, although it is not my first concern for a phone.

Regards

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Distro with suspend Frost1776 6 4,134 03-10-2022, 04:42 PM
Last Post: dukla2000