Any plans for a cheaper, less powerful version?
I would love to get an e-book reader that runs GNU/Linux, but I feel like $400 for this type of device is too expensive. Since I would only use it to read books, I have no need for a quad core CPU or powerful graphics. Even original PinePhone's hardware should be good enough for this task (apps would load slowly, but that's fine for reading books) and it would be much easier to pay $200 for example. Making the screen smaller might also be fine.
Probably not this year, (2022). Even though a dual core CPU would probably be good enough, part of the issue is that some SoCs don't come with eInk display interfaces.

There was even a post for a larger, 13.3" model, and even color, (but still eInk);
https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?...#pid100345
--
Arwen Evenstar
Princess of Rivendale
(01-24-2022, 12:14 PM)Arwen Wrote: Probably not this year, (2022). Even though a dual core CPU would probably be good enough, part of the issue is that some SoCs don't come with eInk display interfaces.

I didn't realize it was more complicated, but it would be awesome if it happened at some point!
I'm going to point out that the current PineNote is not exactly over-powered if you want to annotate what you are reading. It's working OK for now but without the NPU coming in to play for dynamic handwriting recognition. (Static is another, nigh-impossible world.)

And non-Amz companies are kinda going out of business right now from the lack of components.