Crashes when using a 4to External HDD
(06-29-2016, 11:06 PM)dkryder Wrote: i was under the impression that usb host was needed as well as the usbmicro to standard usb  hardware. there are devices with the usbmicro which do not support OTG. so i guess my question was does pine64 android 5.1 have support for usb host. so even with the standard usb slot i would guess that android usb host is needed, it's not entirely unreasonable to ask imo

Ok, gotcha now... so now it is just a matter of waiting for someone who has tried using a usb hard drive on Android to report back on their success. I haven't tried myself so can't say anything on that front (haven't even tried running up Android on the pine64!)!!

@moderators: Can we get this thread moved to the Software ->  Android General Section
(06-29-2016, 10:14 PM)pfeerick Wrote: ]I just tried an externally powered Seagate Expansion Drive (4TB USB3) with a NTFS file system and didn't have any issues. If you issue a 'dmesg | tail' command immediately after connecting the drive... what do you get? I was able to mount, see the contents of and u(n)mount the drive without any issues.

How can i run a command on Android 5.1 ? (also can we "root" the Android ?)
(06-30-2016, 02:03 AM)pfeerick Wrote:
(06-29-2016, 11:06 PM)dkryder Wrote: i was under the impression that usb host was needed as well as the usbmicro to standard usb  hardware. there are devices with the usbmicro which do not support OTG. so i guess my question was does pine64 android 5.1 have support for usb host. so even with the standard usb slot i would guess that android usb host is needed, it's not entirely unreasonable to ask imo

Ok, gotcha now... so now it is just a matter of waiting for someone who has tried using a usb hard drive on Android to report back on their success. I haven't tried myself so can't say anything on that front (haven't even tried running up Android on the pine64!)!!

@moderators: Can we get this thread moved to the Software ->  Android General Section

Hi pfeerick,

As posted before in this forum, I have with success connected and tested a 2TB USB drive with android (both the latest Remix and android images) I'm corrently using the drive together with Kodi and Remix - Works VERY fine!
Is highly recommended to use a HD with external supply or used a USB hub if the USB drive is powered by the USB cable. Remember also to power the USB hub.
(06-30-2016, 03:19 AM)gbjensen Wrote: Hi pfeerick,

As posted before in this forum, I have with success connected and tested a 2TB USB drive with android (both the latest Remix and android images) I'm corrently using the drive together with Kodi and Remix - Works VERY fine!
Is highly recommended to use a HD with external supply or used a USB hub if the USB drive is powered by the USB cable. Remember also to power the USB hub.

My apologies... I didn't realise from your earlier post that you were using Android also! Smile Glad to hear it does indeed work. 

fab4real Wrote:How can i run a command on Android 5.1 ? (also can we "root" the Android ?)

As far as rooting the android builds, I'm not sure. However, there are rooted and non-rooted versions of the android images available from the software release page... And to run commands, you'll want some form of terminal emulator.
(06-29-2016, 02:26 PM)gbjensen Wrote:
(06-29-2016, 01:03 PM)fab4real Wrote: Hello, i'm using a PineA64+ with 2gb ram, with Android 5.1.

I tried to plug my Lacie 2d 4to External HDD (USB3 but support USB2).

i previously formatted it in Fat32 from DiskUtility on Mac.

But when i plug the external hdd, it's seen by the Pine a64 but after approximately 5 to 10 secondes, the mini computer crashes (automatically  reboot)

Did anyone succeed with pluging an external hdd, or a large external hdd ?

How can i find logs or something to resolve this issue ?

Any help appreciated ! 

Thanks

Hi I have connected a 2TB USB drive to my Pine64. via a USB hub with external power supply to be able to drive the USB HD. The USB outputs at the Pine64 is limited to less than 500mA and this is in most cases not sufficient to drive a USB HD.
My power supply to my Pine media center is a 5V 4A PSU. I do not use the micro USB plug but the power pins at the Euler bus connector.

I am wondering if a USB hub with 5V 4A, would power both the board itself and the 2 TB harddrive at the same time?  I tried that with a 5V 2.5A, and it worked for a bit and then didn't anymore.  I don't know if the updated operating system caused the change or not.  But I had though about using a hub with 4A to power both.
(07-02-2016, 08:48 PM)skybadiver Wrote:
(06-29-2016, 02:26 PM)gbjensen Wrote:
(06-29-2016, 01:03 PM)fab4real Wrote: Hello, i'm using a PineA64+ with 2gb ram, with Android 5.1.

I tried to plug my Lacie 2d 4to External HDD (USB3 but support USB2).

i previously formatted it in Fat32 from DiskUtility on Mac.

But when i plug the external hdd, it's seen by the Pine a64 but after approximately 5 to 10 secondes, the mini computer crashes (automatically  reboot)

Did anyone succeed with pluging an external hdd, or a large external hdd ?

How can i find logs or something to resolve this issue ?

Any help appreciated ! 

Thanks

Hi I have connected a 2TB USB drive to my Pine64. via a USB hub with external power supply to be able to drive the USB HD. The USB outputs at the Pine64 is limited to less than 500mA and this is in most cases not sufficient to drive a USB HD.
My power supply to my Pine media center is a 5V 4A PSU. I do not use the micro USB plug but the power pins at the Euler bus connector.

I am wondering if a USB hub with 5V 4A, would power both the board itself and the 2 TB harddrive at the same time?  I tried that with a 5V 2.5A, and it worked for a bit and then didn't anymore.  I don't know if the updated operating system caused the change or not.  But I had though about using a hub with 4A to power both.

I get around to trying the 16GB Android 5.1.1 image on my pine64, and had no issues accessing my externally powered 4GB hard drive under android... poped up in the ES file manager as soon as I plugged it in.

In principle I don't see there being any issue powering both devices from a hub as long as it has enough juice for both the pine64 and the external HDD and any other peripherals that you have connected. IIRC from my probing of the pine64 board, it gets its 5v supply for USB devices from it's 5v input supply, so all should be good there. It has the jumper to allow for that, which is better than the state of affairs on the Chip board I have, which doesn't, so has some issues which the PMIC shutting down as too much current is being drawn (i.e. connecting a USB powered HDD), although their latest update indicates they have a workaround for that problem.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  system too slow to pair and crashes when pairing bluetooth mus1c 0 2,114 08-27-2016, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mus1c