KKeyboard: FN+num row does not type what is printed.
In ultra fine light print on the bevel of the 'F' keys are the alternates
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(02-07-2022, 02:10 PM)Zebulon Walton Wrote:
(01-22-2022, 01:44 PM)Hook Wrote: I just tested shift-Fn-Numkeys 1-0 and I get:

| | $ € ~ ~ _+_+

Good news, get the missing symbols.  But still the repeating pattern.

That's good, at least you can get to those even if awkward. I just got my keyboard today and the lack of the Unix pipe character was really annoying. Using shift-Fn-numkeys works as you describe.

How do you get to the PC function keys? (It looks only like F1-F10 are printed on the keycaps but not sure how or if it's possible to get to those.)

Currently, I believe you have to use megi's userspace daemon for the keyboard in order to get the function keys (via the PINE key plus 1-9). It also makes the FN-1 etc actually match what's printed on the keys.

-john
(02-07-2022, 11:14 PM)johns Wrote: Currently, I believe you have to use megi's userspace daemon for the keyboard in order to get the function keys (via the PINE key plus 1-9). It also makes the FN-1 etc actually match what's printed on the keys.

-john

Is that ppkb-i2c-inputd from the keyboard utilities? It's the only thing I see in that package that seems to be related to keyboard input but the description of that the FAQ says it's used to get the keyboard working in Linux distributions that don't have a driver for it.
(02-08-2022, 08:58 AM)Zebulon Walton Wrote:
(02-07-2022, 11:14 PM)johns Wrote: Currently, I believe you have to use megi's userspace daemon for the keyboard in order to get the function keys (via the PINE key plus 1-9). It also makes the FN-1 etc actually match what's printed on the keys.

-john

Is that ppkb-i2c-inputd from the keyboard utilities? It's the only thing I see in that package that seems to be related to keyboard input but the description of that the FAQ says it's used to get the keyboard working in Linux distributions that don't have a driver for it.

Yes, ppkb-i2c-inputd. More info on the Mobian wiki here: https://wiki.mobian-project.org/doku.php...-case-ppkc

I haven't tried other distros, but on Mobian using the kb151 driver from the kernel, while the keyboard basically works, you cannot type F1-F10. With ppkb-i2c-inputd, that's the PINE key plus a number key. Also the shift-Fn-numberkey combinations don't produce the right characters for me (right as in, matching what's printed on the keys) with the kb151 driver. They do with the inputd. And, with inputd, it's not shift-Fn-numberkey, it's just Fn-numberkey.

-john
(02-09-2022, 07:57 AM)johns Wrote: Yes, ppkb-i2c-inputd. More info on the Mobian wiki here: https://wiki.mobian-project.org/doku.php...-case-ppkc

I haven't tried other distros, but on Mobian using the kb151 driver from the kernel, while the keyboard basically works, you cannot type F1-F10. With ppkb-i2c-inputd, that's the PINE key plus a number key. Also the shift-Fn-numberkey combinations don't produce the right characters for me (right as in, matching what's printed on the keys) with the kb151 driver. They do with the inputd. And, with inputd, it's not shift-Fn-numberkey, it's just Fn-numberkey.

-john

I'll have to give that a try. Is it necessary to unload or blacklist the kb151 kernel module before using inputd?
(02-09-2022, 08:51 AM)Zebulon Walton Wrote:
(02-09-2022, 07:57 AM)johns Wrote: Yes, ppkb-i2c-inputd. More info on the Mobian wiki here: https://wiki.mobian-project.org/doku.php...-case-ppkc

-john

I'll have to give that a try. Is it necessary to unload or blacklist the kb151 kernel module before using inputd?

I believe so. For trying after you've already booted, just removing kb151 should be sufficient -- that worked for me.

-john
Yes, that worked fine. I blacklisted the kb151 module in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf and added a systemd unit file to launch the user-space daemon.

The only issue is that with Mobian full disk encryption you can't use the hardware keyboard to enter the unlock password since device support is not in the kernel. Userspace has to load up before the keyboard is active. Not a big deal. (The keyboard does work for entering the swipe screen login password.)

So all I really see missing are the F11 and F12 keys, unless there's some magic combination of keystrokes to invoke those. (I don't see anything printed on the keycaps.) Can't even remember the last time I had to use those though.

EDIT: It occurs to me that to get the keyboard working for entering the disk encryption password, instead of blacklisting kb151 let the kernel load it at boot time then unload the module with "modprobe -r kb151" before starting the userspace daemon. Maybe I'll play around with that.
Nice, glad it worked. Good point about the disk encryption. Personally I do miss F11 since it is the shortcut for full screen in a lot of things.

-john
(02-10-2022, 08:33 PM)johns Wrote: Nice, glad it worked. Good point about the disk encryption. Personally I do miss F11 since it is the shortcut for full screen in a lot of things.

-john

Right, I'd forgotten about using F11 for full screen. Maybe there's a way to have some combination of keys provide the missing function keys.
Regarding the F11 key, for users of the userland driver (ppkb-i2c-inputd) it is possible to get it.

Simply modify the keymaps/factory-keymap.txt and rebuild the daemon.

I added it to my BACKSPACE key via the PINE key modifier, by replacing 1:12 BACKSPACE DELETE with 1:12 BACKSPACE DELETE F11. The syntax is as follows:

Code:
# physical layout Row:Col -> KEY COMBO_KEY1 COMBO_KEY2
# combo1 is using FN key, combo2 is using PINE key

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  3D Printed PinePhone stand simoni 13 12,009 12-10-2020, 10:15 AM
Last Post: patrickmollohan
  Booklet type / flip case User 16030 13 15,880 10-14-2020, 11:33 AM
Last Post: User 16030