Unexpected pre-delivery phone call
I've ordered a PinePhone Pro, to be delivered to the United Kingdom.

This morning, I got an unexpected call from someone claiming to work for DHL, explaining that VAT / duties were due.

They knew my name, the email address I had used with PINE64's store, and my phone number.

They followed up with an email, linking to the DHL.co.uk website (which I verified). The email headers looked fine.

The waybill number shows on the DHL parcel tracking site, delivering to approximately the right area.

For whatever reason, I could not see any content on the DHL payment website unless I enabled "performance" cookies. Poor config, since at least something was clearly necessary to display the page.

It all appears to add up, other than the fact I have not had a shipping notification about the phone, and I paid the £70ish charge seemingly required of me.

Just in case others have the same experience.
No I had good experience with DHL delivery Tongue
(01-17-2022, 01:34 PM)Neil_Brown Wrote: I've ordered a PinePhone Pro, to be delivered to the United Kingdom.

Interesting.

My order only went in after you posted this so at a rough guess my call could still be coming. Conceivably DHL trying to act professional after a previous PinePhone shipping blunder :-)
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
I too got a call from DHL on Monday 17th Jan that sounded like a scam call, except they knew my name!   The voicemail was so garbled that I could barely make out any details.   I think the amount requested was £75- or so.
I didn't receive any follow up emails or letters from DHL though?

Since I hadn't received any further order/shipping emails from the Pine Store, I sent an email off to "sales@pine64.org" querying it, and got the following response:-
"We will update DHL tracking number around Jan 24 for you to trace the PinePhone Pro. Please hold to pay import duties/taxes until received tracking number from Pine Store Limited."

A quick scan through the Discord General channel showed a similar question from another UK buyer who also got a phone call from DHL, and the reply from one of the admin guys seemed to indicate that the PinePhone Pros were actually still in the warehouse, and DHL had started scanning the items in preparation for shipping.

I haven't made any payments to DHL yet  Big Grin

Also, last night I received a shipping email for the PinePhone accessories I ordered from the store at the same time, but in a separate order (due to the battery shipping situation).  Looks like it has been shipped overnight with 17track (?), but following the link in the email shows no more details yet.
I live in Canada and I've never received a phone call from DHL, I always get an e-mail that takes me to their website to pay the duty/import fees. I think I much prefer that than have someone calling my house asking for money haha.
Hi

In Spain, i received an email too pay 140 € taxes.

cu

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Phone call with the pinephone pro dfs 5 3,998 02-10-2024, 09:54 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  PPP used with smart phone gaming fan. DaForest 3 689 11-19-2023, 05:17 AM
Last Post: crocspot
  Is the pine phone usable as a daily driver now? gautamb11 18 3,981 10-27-2023, 12:46 AM
Last Post: gregb49
  Pine Phone Pro: Mobian+plasma mobile GabrieleMax 2 1,470 04-30-2023, 05:03 AM
Last Post: diederik
  pine phone pro won't start robb777 2 1,318 01-25-2023, 04:38 PM
Last Post: emsyr
  Current State of PIne Phone Pro kmsgli 40 24,904 12-23-2022, 06:44 PM
Last Post: Simon Belmont
  Was the Pine Phone Pro you got from DHL new? theForce 3 1,940 10-31-2022, 04:26 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Internet is not working on Pine Pro phone caroljames972022 0 828 09-16-2022, 06:25 AM
Last Post: caroljames972022
  Loud echo on receiving phone when called TheRealThor 3 2,015 08-09-2022, 10:09 AM
Last Post: tckosvic
  Phone not reading sim For_lack_of_a_better_name 6 4,066 06-09-2022, 01:00 PM
Last Post: daveman1010220