MATE on pine phone
Is there some development for the MATE DE to be implemented on the pine phone?
It's already possible to install MATE actually, but it's pretty useless without a mouse and keyboard (and maybe a microscope).
MATE has never been made with small touch screen only devices in mind in the first place, so don't expect it to be as usable as Phosh or Plamo, unless you're willing to fork it and turn it into a mobile-only version.
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry
(01-17-2022, 12:07 AM)ryo Wrote: It's already possible to install MATE actually, but it's pretty useless without a mouse and keyboard (and maybe a microscope).
MATE has never been made with small touch screen only devices in mind in the first place, so don't expect it to be as usable as Phosh or Plamo, unless you're willing to fork it and turn it into a mobile-only version.

I really love MATE, unfortunately I don't have the capability (yet) to fork it and make it mobile-friendly.
(01-17-2022, 06:43 AM)user641 Wrote:
(01-17-2022, 12:07 AM)ryo Wrote: It's already possible to install MATE actually, but it's pretty useless without a mouse and keyboard (and maybe a microscope).

I really love MATE, unfortunately I don't have the capability (yet) to fork it and make it mobile-friendly.

I tested PMOS with GUI Mate for the last two weeks, it works really well.
Sure, the icons are small, but that's no problem for me.

To get suspend/resume to work I had to:
sudo apk add pm-utils

To get the mobile connection to work I had to:
sudo rc-service modemmanager start
sudo rc-update add modemmanager default

I deactivated the login-screen:
system=>preferences=>look and feel=>screensaver

I also added gnome-maps, firefox, evolution, libreoffice, calls, chatty and postmarketos-tweaks.
Gnome-contacts did not work - but you already have your contacts within the calls application.

I did some manual adjustments concerning firefox and phone applications - see "additional software"

https://wiki.postmarketos.org/wiki/MATE

Only the bluetooth connection still does not work as it should.

I'm sill looking for a energy-efficient solution (bluetooth) to have (wireless) remote-access to the pinephone.  ("computer2go")
Mostly Mate is the old Gnome fallback UI on a modern Ubuntu so that doesn't work since we are using Phosh for a UI.
At this point I think Ubuntu is mostly Debian with it's own themes, less strict policy on being all free and more emphasis on ease of usability via GUI.
What is interesting is the old N900 Maemo UI now in Maemo Leste used in which was always dark mode and designed for mobile in the Nokia Maemo Linux labs.  It is available now for PP but cant use the modem yet.
(05-04-2022, 11:27 AM)biketool Wrote: Mostly Mate is the old Gnome fallback UI on a modern Ubuntu so that doesn't work since we are using Phosh for a UI.
At this point I think Ubuntu is mostly Debian with it's own themes, less strict policy on being all free and more emphasis on ease of usability via GUI.
What is interesting is the old N900 Maemo UI now in Maemo Leste used in which was always dark mode and designed for mobile in the Nokia Maemo Linux labs.  It is available now for PP but cant use the modem yet.

Are you sure it can't use the modem? Their wiki page about the PinePhone says the 20220206 image can make and receive phone calls and SMS, and 2G/3G/4G data. I haven't tried it though - more for the todo list...
https://leste.maemo.org/PinePhone
(05-05-2022, 12:20 AM)wibble Wrote:
(05-04-2022, 11:27 AM)biketool Wrote: Mostly Mate is the old Gnome fallback UI on a modern Ubuntu so that doesn't work since we are using Phosh for a UI.

Are you sure it can't use the modem? Their wiki page about the PinePhone says the 20220206 image can make and receive phone calls and SMS, and 2G/3G/4G data. I haven't tried it though - more for the todo list...
https://leste.maemo.org/PinePhone

Nice!!

I am glad to see it, while I am using Mobian for now I hold a special place for Maemo, they also have a very strong app catalog much of it carried over from Maemo Harmattan for the Nokia N900. I can't say I am not tempted...  For one thing I am reasonably sure know exactly how to enable Bluetooth network access point if I were on Maemo-Leste; I am getting no traction on Mobian.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  phone does not ring (when sleeping) jsch 2 1,395 10-07-2022, 08:08 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma
  Phone mic isn't working at all D347h 2 1,885 01-26-2022, 07:34 AM
Last Post: D347h
  Screen/display gets switched on by itself / Phone wakes up from suspend Anna 5 3,882 01-04-2022, 01:24 PM
Last Post: pothos
  Block Phone Numbers? MarkF 6 5,290 12-02-2021, 08:26 AM
Last Post: Smeegle
  Phone suddenly unusable TRS-80 6 3,138 11-19-2021, 09:46 AM
Last Post: TRS-80
  Deep sleep shutdown the phone bitsandnumbers 19 12,481 10-22-2021, 07:04 AM
Last Post: kqlnut
  phone call using built it app will not go to bluetooth motox6 3 3,490 06-28-2021, 11:03 AM
Last Post: wibble
  audio quality on phone Rainer 0 1,387 05-28-2021, 09:25 AM
Last Post: Rainer
  Mobian: 2 week as main phone steves 10 12,110 05-18-2021, 11:55 AM
Last Post: vortex
  Bluetooth audio stalling (maybe the whole phone) motox6 1 1,823 05-18-2021, 10:15 AM
Last Post: wibble