How to install pamac?
I'm trying to install a package that requires the pamac command. At this time, I'm only interested in pamac. I have some familiarity with the existing "pacman" command.

I have tried several tutorials online to install pamac with no success. I can clone the git repository just fine, but get an error after the makepkg command.

Installed git:
sudo pacman -Syyu base-devel git

Created the directory:
mkdir pamac-aur

Listed the directories to confirm:
ls
(All of my directories appeared including the newly created pamac-aur directory)

Changed the directory:
cd pamac-aur

Listed the contents inside "pamac-aur"
ls
(pamac-aur is listed)

Changed into this directory:
cd pamac-aur

Listed the contents of this directory:
ls
(pamac.install and PKGBUILD are listed)

At the command prompt inside this directory, I typed "makepkg" and the process began. It listed some missing dependencies and the process ended with an error.

==> ERROR: Could not resolve all dependencies.

Did I miss something? Can I complete this process with the dependencies acquired automatically? Please correct or add to what I should do to complete the process. Thanks for the help.

(12-29-2021, 02:23 PM)tk1107 Wrote: I'm trying to install a package that requires the pamac command. At this time, I'm only interested in pamac. I have some familiarity with the existing "pacman" command.

I have tried several tutorials online to install pamac with no success. I can clone the git repository just fine, but get an error after the makepkg command.

Installed git:

Created the directory:
mkdir pamac-aur

ls
(All of my directories appeared including the newly created pamac-aur directory)

Changed the directory:
cd pamac-aur

ls
(pamac-aur is listed)

cd pamac-aur

ls

At the command prompt inside this directory, I typed "makepkg" and the process began. It listed some missing dependencies and the process ended with an error.

Did I miss something? Can I complete this process with the dependencies acquired automatically? Please correct or add to what I should do to complete the process. Thanks for the help.

I was able to move the process along a little more. I typed in:

makepkg --syncdeps

at the end of this process:

"looking for conflicting packages..."
:: gtk3 and gtk3-mobile are in conflict (gtk3-print-backends). Remove gtk3-mobile? [y/N]

At this point I decided I had better wait for help. I did a "control c" to abort.

Thanks for any help with this.
(12-29-2021, 02:23 PM)tk1107 Wrote: I'm trying to install a package that requires the pamac command. At this time, I'm only interested in pamac. I have some familiarity with the existing "pacman" command.

Installed git:

Created the directory:
mkdir pamac-aur

ls

Changed the directory:
cd pamac-aur

ls
(pamac-aur is listed)

cd pamac-aur

ls

Installed git:

Created the directory:
mkdir pamac-aur

ls

Changed the directory:
cd pamac-aur

ls
(pamac-aur is listed)

cd pamac-aur

ls

I was able to move the process along a little more. I typed in:

makepkg --syncdeps

at the end of this process:

"looking for conflicting packages..."
:: gtk3 and gtk3-mobile are in conflict (gtk3-print-backends). Remove gtk3-mobile? [y/N]

At this point I decided I had better wait for help. I did a "control c" to abort.

Thanks for any help with this.

I typed "makepkg -S" twice (the first try did not resolve dependencies).

My directory now looks like:

pamac-10.3.0-1.tar.gz
pamac-aur-10.3.0-1.src.tar.gz
pamac.install
PKGBUILD
src

I'm new to Arch Linux and I appreciate any help.
(12-29-2021, 02:23 PM)tk1107 Wrote: "looking for conflicting packages..."

gtk3-mobile is a fork of gtk3 with patches for mobile. You should be able to get around this issue by editing the PKGBUILD and replacing gtk3 with gtk3-mobile in the depends and makedepends lists. Then run "makepkg -s" (lower case s, same as --syncdeps). I hope it works with gtk3-mobile as it would with the original package, haven't tried it myself. If everything worked, you can install the newly built package with "makepkg -i" or combine both steps with "makepkg -si".
(12-29-2021, 03:52 PM)kqlnut Wrote:
(12-29-2021, 02:23 PM)tk1107 Wrote: "looking for conflicting packages..."

gtk3-mobile is a fork of gtk3 with patches for mobile. You should be able to get around this issue by editing the PKGBUILD and replacing gtk3 with gtk3-mobile in the depends and makedepends lists. Then run "makepkg -s" (lower case s, same as --syncdeps). I hope it works with gtk3-mobile as it would with the original package, haven't tried it myself. If everything worked, you can install the newly built package with "makepkg -i" or combine both steps with "makepkg -si".

Thanks for the reply!

I tried this and edited with "nano".   gtk3>=3.24 in both depends and makedepends lists became gtk3-mobile>=3.24  .

I typed makepkg -s (lowercase) and received a message that there were 19 conflicting packages. I proceeded anyway. Those packages looked like they updated in the process. After the ":: Running post-transaction hooks..." message there was an error:

I went ahead and typed makepkg -i to see what would happen.

==> Checking runtime dependencies:
==> Missing dependencies:
    -> libpamac-aur>=11.2
==> Checking buildtime dependencies...

Just to see what would happen: I typed makepkg -si and received:

error: target not found: libpamac-aur>=11.2
==> ERROR: 'pacman' failed to install missing dependencies.
-> libpamac-aur>=11.2

I still have to learn how to install dependencies on Arch Linux (ARM). If there are any spelling errors above, I typed this in.

I typed "sudo pacman -U --asdep libpamac-aur and received:

loading packages...
error: 'libpamac-aur': could not find or read package

I tried using pacman to install dependencies before, but I might be doing something wrong.
(12-29-2021, 05:34 PM)tk1107 Wrote: ==> Checking runtime dependencies:
    -> libpamac-aur>=11.2

As the name suggests, libpamac-aur is an AUR package which has to be built manually itself (with it's own PKGBUILD). Since it's not in the repos, it can't be automatically installed with makepkg's --syncdeps flag. So get the PKGBUILD for libpamac-aur first, build and install it with makepkg -si and then repeat for pamac-aur.

Were there 19 conflicting packages or just 19 missing dependencies that were then installed? If they were actual conflicts with already installed packages, you should take a closer look there (post the command's output here if you are not sure).
(12-29-2021, 07:02 PM)kqlnut Wrote:
(12-29-2021, 05:34 PM)tk1107 Wrote: ==> Checking runtime dependencies:
    -> libpamac-aur>=11.2

As the name suggests, libpamac-aur is an AUR package which has to be built manually itself (with it's own PKGBUILD). Since it's not in the repos, it can't be automatically installed with makepkg's --syncdeps flag. So get the PKGBUILD for libpamac-aur first, build and install it with makepkg -si and then repeat for pamac-aur.

Were there 19 conflicting packages or just 19 missing dependencies that were then installed? If they were actual conflicts with already installed packages, you should take a closer look there (post the command's output here if you are not sure).

The 19 packages listed were called "conflicting". I'll take a closer look there. If another "helper" like "yay" has messages like:

:: Checking for conflicts...
:: Checking for inner conflicts...
[Repo:8] python-bcrypt-3.2.0-3 python-gnupg-0.4.8-1 etc... (I put the etc here...there were more files)

Does this mean it is checking the files required for download for conflicts or there are actually conflicts in those files listed?
(12-29-2021, 08:06 PM)tk1107 Wrote: :: Checking for conflicts...
[Repo:8] python-bcrypt-3.2.0-3  python-gnupg-0.4.8-1  etc... (I put the etc here...there were more files)

Does this mean it is checking the files required for download for conflicts or there are actually conflicts in those files listed?

This seems like the regular procedure pacman goes through, there will always be the message that it's checking for conflicts. It's just informing you that it's checking, it doesn't seem to tell you it found any conflicts. If there were any, it would give you a warning like the one about gtk3 and gtk3-mobile you mentioned before.
If you can build the package successfully now with "makepkg -s", everything should be fine.

To get a better understanding of what is happening when building packages with a PKGBUILD (which then can be installed by pacman) you can read the Arch wiki articles about the AUR, PKGBUILD and makepkg. That helped me understand it much better.
(12-30-2021, 02:18 AM)kqlnut Wrote:
(12-29-2021, 08:06 PM)tk1107 Wrote: :: Checking for conflicts...
[Repo:8] python-bcrypt-3.2.0-3  python-gnupg-0.4.8-1  etc... (I put the etc here...there were more files)

This seems like the regular procedure pacman goes through, there will always be the message that it's checking for conflicts. It's just informing you that it's checking, it doesn't seem to tell you it found any conflicts. If there were any, it would give you a warning like the one about gtk3 and gtk3-mobile you mentioned before.
If you can build the package successfully now with "makepkg -s", everything should be fine.

To get a better understanding of what is happening when building packages with a PKGBUILD (which then can be installed by pacman) you can read the Arch wiki articles about the AUR, PKGBUILD and makepkg. That helped me understand it much better.

The tip you gave me about editing the PKGBLD was helpful. I decided to try another "helper" called "yay". I installed yay successfully and it was so easy to do. I then used yay to install that missing dependency "libpamac-aur". It installed successfully. I then tried to install "pamac" with "yay", but yay asked me if I wanted to replace gtk3-mobile with gtk3. I aborted yay at that point. I went back to my original directory that we were working on and did "makepkg -si". Since I now had the missing dependency, it worked! I now have "pamac" and even "yay" installed. pamac and yay seemed to go right to the AUR repository and gave me alot of choices for downloading. The programmers that wrote these "helpers" were not messing around. It was more than I expected. I can use "yay", "pamac", and "pacman" to update my PinePhone from the terminal. After I updated with "yay", I checked it with pamac and pacman and it was still updated. I read that yay and pamac do the same thing, but in a different way.

With "yay" and "pamac", this PinePhone is now more of a cinch. I'm coming from one years worth of Ubuntu experience and Arch is a little different, but Arch runs better for my purposes on PinePhone than two other distributions I have tried. Each distro works differently for each person. I've used old Android phones I reflashed with two Linux distributions using the halium hardware abstraction layer. My PinePhone as it is now is where I want to be with Linux. I keep thanking everyone involved for the work with Linux distros on mobile phones.

I'll read those articles you pointed out. Thanks.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone AND/OR PinePhone Pro Arch Complete Install and Setup mikehenson 2 2,044 01-14-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: shifras
  How to install arch with FDE user641 3 638 01-11-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  unable to install applications dln949 5 1,383 06-08-2023, 08:38 PM
Last Post: Conjada
  Latest update broke my install user641 8 3,469 02-22-2023, 05:54 AM
Last Post: gregb49
  new to pacman. Trying to install VIM, getting a 404 when it tries to download. willyray 1 1,085 12-24-2022, 11:00 PM
Last Post: shulamy
  Waydroid on Arch Linux ARM install guide? tk1107 3 5,456 10-08-2022, 07:46 AM
Last Post: PineFone
  Help to execute script to install arch with FDE user641 5 3,395 07-03-2022, 09:25 PM
Last Post: RTP
  How to install dependencies for Gajim? tk1107 13 9,238 03-13-2022, 11:10 PM
Last Post: tk1107
  Can't update or install software P3TER 31 22,937 02-12-2022, 05:07 PM
Last Post: IHaveALinuxPhone
  Can't install arch-phosh with dd, only with etcher. pineuser0 5 3,896 11-23-2021, 07:32 PM
Last Post: cabbie001