PineTime re-connect to PInephone
Hey folks, I just got my new pine time and I am impressed with the build quality for the price. I use a Pinephone as my daily driver and have since cut android from my life!

The pinephone connects proper and sends notifications but when the pinephone goes to sleep (suspend) the pinetime obviously looses connectivity which is to be expected, however when I wake my phone or get a message the pinetime does not reconnect with out me trying Siglo a bunch of times and messing around with the blue tooth toggle switch before it will re connect.

Is this a known issue or is this just something on my end?

Thanks in advanced.
What are you running on the pinetime? There used to be a problem with InfiniTime <1.6.0 but since that was fixed the BLE connection has been pretty reliable. I'm using it with Gadgetbridge on LineageOS though, so it may be a Siglo or PinePhone issue.
(12-28-2021, 05:35 PM)kmsgli Wrote: Hey folks, I just got my new pine time and I am impressed with the build quality for the price. I use a Pinephone as my daily driver and have since cut android from my life!

The pinephone connects proper and sends notifications but when the pinephone goes to sleep (suspend) the pinetime obviously looses connectivity which is to be expected, however when I wake my phone or get a message the pinetime does not reconnect with out me trying Siglo a bunch of times and messing around with the blue tooth toggle switch before it will re connect.

Is this a known issue or is this just something on my end?

Thanks in advanced.

Hey,
pretty much the same story for me. (PineTime running v1.6.0)

Tried with iPhone and infinitime, and also from a Linux Thinkpad using amazfish. Same behavior with both.
Works always "once", then disconnect and the watch won't reconnect anymore. Until .... I do a soft reset of the watch (8sec button press until Pine logo appears).
Obviously, with each reset the collected data are lost. Sad

pretty frustrating. Any advice is much appreciated.
So some things I learned today as this was my first day using the pinetime all day.

The issue actually seems to be with the pinephone itself. First off Amazfish is a far better companion app as it is working even when the app is not open. So start by using that app instead of siglo

My firmware is 1.2.0 infinitime so maybe I am back on firmware that is something I will try.

When the pinephone goes to sleep (suspends) amazfish actually tells you your phone is going to suspend soon then a short time later the pinetime disconnects. The issue is when the pinetime wakes back up from a message or call or you just turn your screen on the bluetooth does not seem to re connect.

What I found is when you wake from suspend if you tap the bluetooth off then on in the quick access pull down menu a min or two later the phone will reconnect to the watch.

Currently I have completely turned off suspend on my pinpephone and my watch has been connected for the last hour or so. This obviously comes at a price of battery life.

I am wondering if anything can be done to either leave just Bluetooth on during suspend or have an immediate reset of Bluetooth on wake for connection.
One other thing I noticed was that there is already firmware v1.7.1 for the PineTime.
(Was not suggested automatically though (neither by amazfish nor infinitime on the iPhone. But I could select firmware and then update my PineTime to v1.7.1)

Will see if that makes a difference...
InfiniTime 1.2.0 has a known reconnect issue that was fixed in 1.6.0. Some people have reported they still have reconnect issues, but the cause hasn't yet been tracked down. It may be related to having heart rate monitoring enabled.
https://github.com/InfiniTimeOrg/InfiniTime/issues/707
(12-30-2021, 05:25 AM)wibble Wrote: InfiniTime 1.2.0 has a known reconnect issue that was fixed in 1.6.0. Some people have reported they still have reconnect issues, but the cause hasn't yet been tracked down. It may be related to having heart rate monitoring enabled.
https://github.com/InfiniTimeOrg/InfiniTime/issues/707

I updated to the latest version 1.7.1 and same issue. I have not turned on the heart rate monitor.

All day my pinephone has been set not to suspend and I have not had a single pinetime connectivity issue. This is obviously not ideal because it crushes the battery but it is making me think the issue is with the PinePhone not the PineTime.

Even when I walk away from range of my phone a few seconds after I get back in range the watch reconnects.
I just got an idea to kind of solve this issue.

Arch Linux Wiki has a section for scripts that are run pre or post suspend (Arch Wiki FTW)

I wrote a small script that powers bluetooth off then on and then pairs my pine time every time the phone wakes.

This is a bit of a hack job solution and probably does not fix the underlying issue but running with my phone not suspending all day was crushing my battery and its probably bad for the phone to never sleep.

I just did a quick test of this and it seems to work but I will try it for a few days and if its good. If all goes well I will post the script for others to use.
(12-30-2021, 08:05 PM)kmsgli Wrote: I just got an idea to kind of solve this issue.

Arch Linux Wiki has a section for scripts that are run pre or post suspend (Arch Wiki FTW)

I wrote a small script that powers bluetooth off then on and then pairs my pine time every time the phone wakes.

This is a bit of a hack job solution and probably does not fix the underlying issue but running with my phone not suspending all day was crushing my battery and its probably bad for the phone to never sleep.

I just did a quick test of this and it seems to work but I will try it for a few days and if its good. If all goes well I will post the script for others to use.

I think this is a hack job success I will make a new post for this and put it in here and in the pinephone forums to see what people think.

Thanks.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PineTime at FOSDEM jmlich 5 626 02-07-2024, 11:48 PM
Last Post: tllim
  PineTime turns off when removed from cradle tynstar 0 183 01-31-2024, 11:57 AM
Last Post: tynstar
  Connect to Google Fit on Android? Ccssid 0 306 12-24-2023, 09:06 AM
Last Post: Ccssid
  PineTime and Amazfish on Ubuntu Touch jmlich 1 646 10-14-2023, 04:12 PM
Last Post: tllim
  PineTime is dead!! Markdanni123 12 13,508 09-18-2023, 10:17 PM
Last Post: ccchan234
  PineTime Sleep Tracking any_mouse 12 12,016 07-10-2023, 05:41 PM
Last Post: davidair
  PineTime Dead out of box? henkery 1 1,152 03-12-2023, 04:34 PM
Last Post: henkery
  Pinetime almost dead... only shows Infinitime logo. lightweight 8 6,514 02-11-2023, 09:30 AM
Last Post: alexmitroff
  Watchmate doesn't connect to PT anymore jojuma 1 1,297 02-07-2023, 02:43 AM
Last Post: azymohliad
  PineTime beginner MV1791 2 2,089 01-09-2023, 11:52 PM
Last Post: Canyonless