Is my rockpro dead?
Hello,

After years and years of loyal service my rockpro64 quit on me. I had some slow network problems this week, but now it stopped completely.

I have an official power supply. No overheating and I didn't handle it physically.

Only the power light comes on but not the white one also no blinking or anything special. I also tried removing the mmc and inserted a new microSD with a manjaro distro on it.

question : Is it worth it to get an UART cable or did it just die out of old age?
(12-23-2021, 06:07 PM)k0sm Wrote: Hello,

After years and years of loyal service my rockpro64 quit on me. I had some slow network problems this week, but now it stopped completely.

I have an official power supply. No overheating and I didn't handle it physically.

Only the power light comes on but not the white one also no blinking or anything special. I also tried removing the mmc and inserted a new microSD with a manjaro distro on it.

question : Is it worth it to get an UART cable or did it just die out of old age?

Not sure what Distro your board was running on originally but try Armbian on an SD card. It's a good test reference for those boards.
(12-23-2021, 07:51 PM)Rocklobster Wrote:

Not sure what Distro your board was running on originally but try Armbian on an SD card. It's a good test reference  for those boards.

Ok ill try that.

Not sure what Distro your board was running on originally but try Armbian on an SD card. It's a good test reference  for those boards.

Ah that helped a lot! It seems that my eMMc died, is that a thing? I bought it in the early days of the rockpro. Armbian boots just fine, the eMMc is visible but spits out errors if you want to install on it.
(12-24-2021, 02:44 PM)k0sm Wrote:

Ah that helped a lot! It seems that my eMMc died, is that a thing? I bought it in the early days of the rockpro. Armbian boots just fine, the eMMc is visible but spits out errors if you want to install on it.

I don't have an eMMC but I had an idea your board wasn't dead. Other than Armbian I've found many distros hit and miss for boot purposes so I always go to Armbian if there's any doubt. Well I'm glad your board is booting from SD and maybe you can research on the forum a little deeper on the subject of eMMC knowing that you won't be wasting your time trying to get a faulty board to boot. I think you can use an alternative eMMC to the one sold by the manufacturer.
(12-25-2021, 08:40 PM)Rocklobster Wrote:

I don't have an eMMC but I had an idea your board wasn't dead. Other than Armbian I've found many distros hit and miss for boot purposes so I always go to Armbian if there's any doubt. Well I'm glad your board is booting from SD and maybe you can research on the forum a little deeper on the subject of eMMC knowing that you won't be wasting your time trying to get a faulty board to boot. I think you can use an alternative eMMC to the one sold by the manufacturer.

I ordered a different eMMC card and I can access it. So faulty eMMC was the problem. Thank you for the assistance, this problem is solved!
(12-28-2021, 04:38 AM)k0sm Wrote:
(12-25-2021, 08:40 PM)Rocklobster Wrote:

I ordered a different eMMC card and I can access it. So faulty eMMC was the problem. Thank you for the assistance, this problem is solved!

Glad I could help. I imagine so many were in a similar situation and thought their boards were faulty.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can i use this Emmc for Rockpro 64 Supratec 2 577 12-20-2023, 09:12 AM
Last Post: wdt
  red led blink on rockpro pine 64 Daniele14521 0 1,066 09-26-2022, 01:40 AM
Last Post: Daniele14521
  Rockpro 64 with analog input jintao6889423 3 5,097 05-13-2021, 09:41 PM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Fedora 32 on ROCKPro 64. joeblues91 4 7,150 07-26-2020, 12:12 PM
Last Post: revoman
  RockPro 64 MIPI Pinout carbotaniuman 3 5,156 05-21-2020, 03:41 AM
Last Post: dukla2000
  RockPro 64 V2.1 Boot problem only DDR Version ... message nutilius 5 7,000 05-02-2020, 03:26 AM
Last Post: freeviv
  Rockpro 64 maurora 1 2,760 05-24-2019, 09:50 AM
Last Post: Luke
  Is my board dead? (again) duckkcud 8 7,359 01-24-2019, 07:12 PM
Last Post: 40four
  Basic question on the Nas case of the rockPro Slam 1 3,166 01-23-2019, 08:04 AM
Last Post: Slam
  rockpro 64 upgrading OMV denver2020 3 5,780 01-03-2019, 08:11 AM
Last Post: Luke