Because christmas is near...
...I wrote my wish list where on top is a PP "mini" with 4-5" display, privacy switches on the side (like Librem5), better camera and a longer battery life. I would be OK with the performance of the current PP. Do you think I was well behaved enough to get one in the future? Smile

Edit: Seriously, the size of the PP is the biggest showstopper for me. Anyone else who want's a PP "mini" or are you OK with the size?
I'm actually OK with the size, especially considering the lack of space you'd have in most apps on smaller screens.
It's already difficult enough to even push most on screen buttons.
But then again, this is coming from someone who's using a note PC more often than a phone and always carries around either both or neither.
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry
Well, I know people tend to do everything on the smart phone more and more, therefore a big screen is nice. For me it's "a phone" with the possibility to go to www if needed when outside of my house. But I must admit I have a PineTab what is fine for "couch surfing" or something.

I bought a iPhone SE (2016) years ago...if it would have Linux running and privacy switches it would be the absolute perfect phone for me. But it hasn’t so it lies in the drawer and I replaced it with a Nokia dump phone for the moment.
i think pine64 org has settled with current plan, which is basically pinephone and pinephone pro. i don't think there's going to be major changes near future.

battery life is already bad for pinephone, therefore i don't think smaller phone with smaller battery would be practical any more.

flip phone with updatable o.s. would have been good idea though, but it requires other product model concurrently as well, maybe pp pro with bigger screen and battery. too many models would be hassle for org anyway. so at the moment flip phone is not good idea.

i am thinking pinetab with lte modem chip. also capable with operater based phone calls, although phone calls could require headphones (no ear based phone calls). although this kind of pinetab should be more powerful.

(12-11-2021, 03:59 AM)guenther Wrote: ...  Do you think I was well behaved enough to get one in the future? Smile
of course you have behaved well. but googoogle and rotapple may have not behaved well because they bring nasty options. i think santa claus will bring huge load of coal to these monopolies.

(12-12-2021, 03:13 AM)guenther Wrote: ... dump phone ...
i like this typo, i keep this in mind.
(12-12-2021, 05:24 AM)zetabeta Wrote: i think pine64 org has settled with current plan, which is basically pinephone and pinephone pro. i don't think there's going to be major changes near future.

battery life is already bad for pinephone, therefore i don't think smaller phone with smaller battery would be practical any more.

flip phone with updatable o.s. would have been good idea though, but it requires other product model concurrently as well, maybe pp pro with bigger screen and battery. too many models would be hassle for org anyway. so at the moment flip phone is not good idea.

By far the biggest criminal when it comes to battery life is the screen.
So smaller screen with smaller battery and bigger screen with bigger battery would probably not make any difference at all.
We should exploit the possibilities by putting in a smaller modem to make room for a bigger battery, but I don't think there's such a modem.
Or make the phone thicker a la Librem 5 to enable a thicker battery to be inserted.

This is what 3rd party battery makers did back when the Nintendo 3DS came out and people were long accustomed to the 10+ hour battery life of the Nintendo DS and DSi as opposed to the 3 hour battery life of the 3DS, so accessories makers made batteries that would stick out of the handheld and therefore they shipped with their own back covers that immediately made the handheld much thicker.
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry
(12-12-2021, 05:24 AM)zetabeta Wrote: i think santa claus will bring huge load of coal to these monopolies.
Hope so!

(12-12-2021, 05:24 AM)zetabeta Wrote: i like this typo, i keep this in mind.
You are very welcome  Big Grin

Well, I guess the chance to see a mini in the future is very low and I do understand the reasons. Maybe I will pull the trigger on the PP as soon as the modem runs 100% reliable. Will see.....