PinePhone Pro Dev Edition - day 1
PinePhone Pro arrived today, and I was happily surprised to see it came with an included nano sim adapter and glass (?) screen protector. Having previously only owned a Braveheart I had expected to be on my own for any "add-ons". Otherwise still the just about the same packaging.

Played with the installed AOSP 9 until I realized it was without gps. Didn't check cellular, but that may also be isolated from the factory installed AOSP.

Nuked factory AOSP as directed in https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/PinePhone_P...stallation
"The phone will freeze and then the screen will go blank", I expected the screen to actually blank, instead the apps disappeared and the status bar time froze but the screen remained on with wallpaper displayed. 10 minutes later rebooted into Arch. Greeted with what seemed like a much longer and stronger vibration than the PP.

15W charging is a major upgrade and the battery is 3000mAh which is an improvement over Braveheart's 2800mAh.

Everything runs super smooth and responsively. However, having tried Arch, pmOS, and Mobian, only Mobian was able to power on and connect the EG25. Seems like there may be a bad config in Arch, didn't dig into pmOS.

Sms and phone calls work on Verizon (although without audio), and with the added hardware improvements the PPP is well worth it. If the PP was just barely useable as a DD, the PPP will be very useable as a DD once call audio is worked out.
(12-09-2021, 11:55 PM)brb78 Wrote: Phone arrived a day early, and was happily surprised to see it came with an included nano sim adapter and glass (?) screen protector. Having previously only owned a Braveheart I had expected to be on my own for any "add-ons". Otherwise still the just about the same packaging.

Played with the installed AOSP 9 until I realized it was without gps. Didn't check cellular, but that may also be isolated from the factory installed AOSP.

Nuked factory AOSP as directed in https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/PinePhone_P...stallation
"The phone will freeze and then the screen will go blank", I expected the screen to actually blank, instead the apps disappeared and the status bar time froze but the screen remained on with wallpaper displayed. 10 minutes later rebooted into Arch. Greeted with what seemed like a much longer and stronger vibration than the PP.

Everything runs super smooth and responsively. However, having tried Arch, pmOS, and Mobian, only Mobian was able to power on and connect the EG25. Seems like there may be a bad config in Arch, didn't dig into pmOS.

Sms and phone calls work on Verizon, and with the added hardware improvements the PPP is well worth it. If the PP was just barely useable as a DD, the PPP is very useable as a DD.

Sounds good. 1 question: Do you have boot arch from sdcard and do you have try to flash this to the eMMC?
(12-09-2021, 11:55 PM)brb78 Wrote: ...
Seems like there may be a bad config in Arch, ...

For us sad gits awaiting the Explorer Edition all news is welcome, thanks for report.

Occasionally on my dual boot pinephone setup Arch on the SDcard fails to register the modem - usually when the device tree is wrong for the kernel. Would imagine the @Danct12 releases are coherent but at this early stage could be a snafu?
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
(12-10-2021, 12:30 PM)dukla2000 Wrote: A64 PP: Arch on the SDcard fails to register the modem - usually when the device tree is wrong for the kernel

Supposedly, U-Boot auto detects board revision and then use the correct device tree for that board revision. Maybe your device is a v1.0?  Big Grin

(12-10-2021, 12:30 PM)dukla2000 Wrote: Would imagine the @Danct12 releases are coherent but at this early stage could be a snafu?

Yup, we're slowly moving forward.. in fact the latest rc3 kernel should now work with eg25-manager. With that aside, there's still things people in the community had to work on, like audio profiles, deep sleep and various other stuffs.
Find me in the forest, when I'm at my lowest. I don't really think you should continue..

HOLD YOUR BREATH.
(12-10-2021, 01:32 PM)Danct12 Wrote: Yup, we're slowly moving forward.. in fact the latest rc3 kernel should now work with eg25-manager. With that aside, there's still things people in the community had to work on, like audio profiles, deep sleep and various other stuffs.

rc3 kernel does work with eg25-manager. Audio profiles and deep sleep, actually are the two current issues I'm now facing.

Now that I can make an receive calls its become apparent neither the mic nor speaker work (on Arch at least). It would seem to be at a lower level than "calls" since I also get no audio playback on web and sound recorder records a flat line.

Have had to
Code:
systemctl restart NetworkManger
to get wifi back after at least one deep sleep now that the phone has been left on long enough to go into sleep

But this is the first week of the Dev edition release, so all in all, its a rather impressive start.
(12-09-2021, 11:55 PM)brb78 Wrote: Everything runs super smooth and responsively. However, having tried Arch, pmOS, and Mobian, only Mobian was able to power on and connect the EG25. Seems like there may be a bad config in Arch, didn't dig into pmOS.

Do you just use the regular Pinephone Mobian distro or is there a Pinephone Pro distro somewhere?  (I don't see it anywhere.)
https://ci-images.mobian-project.org/

There are Pro images available for Phosh under the timestamped build folders

Audio/mic doesn't work on Arch or Mobian for me. Didn't even get that far on pmOS since cellular radio didn't work.
(12-10-2021, 01:32 PM)Danct12 Wrote:
(12-10-2021, 12:30 PM)dukla2000 Wrote: A64 PP: Arch on the SDcard fails to register the modem - usually when the device tree is wrong for the kernel

Supposedly, U-Boot auto detects board revision and then use the correct device tree for that board revision. Maybe your device is a v1.0?  Big Grin

It is because I use Megi's p-boot: if there is a device tree upgrade then I have to retrieve it from /boot/ and build it into Megi's magic file format boot partition. Which is fine as fine as long as I remember.

Anyway, OT for this thread - was just an idea for the OP.

Exciting to see the progress, keep it up!
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC
Soundrecorder, audio playback, and sound tests in the settings menu works on Arch now. Arch has come a long way in the ~48 hours I've been running it.
Call audio/mic works on Arch under 5.16.0-rc3-2-danctnix

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Pinephone Pro for a Debian user? primesocial 2 124 04-15-2024, 03:01 AM
Last Post: zetabeta
  PinePhone Pro silver lining, it’s fast, real damn fast ashoka232 0 460 03-20-2024, 01:45 AM
Last Post: ashoka232
  PinePhone Pro Black Screen CrimsenRaven 2 352 03-16-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: tmoj
  PinePhone Pro Review tmoj 2 613 03-14-2024, 07:14 AM
Last Post: tmoj
  Can't boot Pinephone Pro into Factory Test Build for Hardware Checking jydoxcen 3 689 02-17-2024, 04:04 AM
Last Post: fxc
Question Phone call with the pinephone pro dfs 5 4,188 02-10-2024, 09:54 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Average Joe review of Pinephone Pro (March 2023) alaraajavamma 6 10,202 01-06-2024, 11:32 AM
Last Post: mikehenson
Question T-Mobile and Pinephone Pro in the US jydoxcen 4 798 01-02-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: mikehenson
  Pinephone Pro Screen Protector jydoxcen 11 1,372 12-21-2023, 07:58 AM
Last Post: zetabeta
  Pinephone Pro does not start with RE button pressed c0ssan 10 5,314 09-28-2023, 09:21 AM
Last Post: R0bbi3Mack