Goodbye and thanks!
After purchasing the UBports Pinephone, I used it for a year -- mostly as my primary phone! I got a chance to try just about every linux mobile OS out there, file bug reports, and watch things as they developed in real time. I'm not a developer, I'm an end user and I'm afraid my assistance was minimal.

Finally had to bite the bullet and get an android phone, on which I've loaded LineageOS.

I just needed something more reliable.

But I want to thank the community for the fun and the support and the devs for the work they're putting in. You guys are awesome.

I'll check back in a year or so and see how Pinephone is getting along. I hope you guys win everything!
You're braver than I am for even trying to daily drive it. I still use my pinephone almost daily when Im at home, but its still not ready to replace my android phone. It's incredible watching the software evolve/change on a weekly basis. I'll check for updates every weekend and try random apps and be pleasantly surprised.

The pinephone's software has come so far, but part of that is because how far behind it was.  I remember getting hyped when:
-the refresh rate of the display went from 30-ish up to 60 hz like it should be.
-Manjaro+Plasma Mobile got a 1st time setup process
-The software keyboard became reliable enough that it came up when I needed it.
-Eventually Manjaro+Plasma Mobile got stable enough that I didn't have to re-flash my SD card weekly
-suddenly the camera was usable after a point
-Somewhere along the way Angelfish became usable as a web browser. lots of little things have improved.
-Bluetooth headphones just worked for me ( using Kasts, suddenly I can use this phone for podcasts as easily as my Android phone)
-USB-C video output on Plasma Mobile is suddenly much more reliable as of a couple weeks ago
-A lot of games are "playable" if you have a mouse+keyboard now. Maybe we'll even start to see controller support in these games
-Shattered Pixel Dungeon (Flathub) suddenly launches and is almost playable now using touch screen only
-We have a usable reddit app (Headlines)

It's going to continue to be a slow burn, but the pinephone is the only piece of tech that has ever gotten me excited for the future. This thing will only get better, while my Pixel 4a will slowly become deprecated. Pinephone will never match my current phone in raw performance power, but I'm hoping by the time my current phone dies it will have gotten "good enough". I don't need a phone with 6+GB of RAM or a CPU/GPU strong enough to emulate the Gamecube.
(12-11-2021, 01:21 PM)gamerminstrel Wrote: You're braver than I am for even trying to daily drive it. I still use my pinephone almost daily when Im at home, but its still not ready to replace my android phone.

I'm using it as a daily driver for a long time already, although I'm using 2 daily drivers (Mobian and Graphene) at the same time.
I only really need the Android one for LINE, since while I did manage to get my family and close friends to use XMPP, the vast majority of the people I know still uses LINE.
And I really want to be able to get rid of it, because LINE is quickly transforming itself from just a chat app to the Swiss knife of the New World Order (or New Normal, or Great Reset, or communism, or however you want to call it).
The unfortunate of humanity is that they always keep using all sorts of proprietary software that hates the users even though there's a free/libre open source elephant in the room that does respect its users.

For camera, I have a dedicated camera which makes much higher quality photos and videos than any phone camera.
As for games, headlines, browser (beyond emergency use), emulation, podcasts etc, call me a boomer, but I have a PC for that.
To me, all of this sucks on a phone in general.

By the way, it's pretty sad we had to start adding "free" in front of "open source" because so many open source projects these days aren't free software.
Even more so that we had to start sandwiching "libre" between both words to make absolutely sure we're talking about actually free free free free software, and not "free software" in name only.
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry
(12-11-2021, 06:52 PM)ryo Wrote:
(12-11-2021, 01:21 PM)gamerminstrel Wrote: You're braver than I am for even trying to daily drive it. I still use my pinephone almost daily when Im at home, but its still not ready to replace my android phone.

I'm using it as a daily driver for a long time already, although I'm using 2 daily drivers (Mobian and Graphene) at the same time.
I only really need the Android one for LINE, since while I did manage to get my family and close friends to use XMPP, the vast majority of the people I know still uses LINE.
And I really want to be able to get rid of it, because LINE is quickly transforming itself from just a chat app to the Swiss knife of the New World Order (or New Normal, or Great Reset, or communism, or however you want to call it).
The unfortunate of humanity is that they always keep using all sorts of proprietary software that hates the users even though there's a free/libre open source elephant in the room that does respect its users.

For camera, I have a dedicated camera which makes much higher quality photos and videos than any phone camera.
As for games, headlines, browser (beyond emergency use), emulation, podcasts etc, call me a boomer, but I have a PC for that.
To me, all of this sucks on a phone in general.

By the way, it's pretty sad we had to start adding "free" in front of "open source" because so many open source projects these days aren't free software.
Even more so that we had to start sandwiching "libre" between both words to make absolutely sure we're talking about actually free free free free software, and not "free software" in name only.
Ryo,
Do you have a link to a list what software you are running and what OS?
I feel like we need a clean, no-discussion, possibly forum-pinned listing of example installs that daily driver users are using/testing with user comments.
(12-12-2021, 05:51 AM)biketool Wrote: Ryo,
I feel like we need a clean, no-discussion, possibly forum-pinned listing of example installs that daily driver users are using/testing with user comments.

Sure, in the order of frequency of usage from most to least, separated between GUI and TUI apps.
・Mozc + Fcitx5 (input method, I tried to replace Google's Mozc with the free/libre KKC, but the conversions are so terrible, I was forced to switch back to Mozc)
・Gnome Terminal (no explanation necessary)
・Gajim (XMPP client)
・Geary (mail client, yea I boomer sometimes)
・Qutebrowser (web browser, though gets outragingly slow with 4 or more tabs open)
・VLC (for music)
・Nautilus (file manager)
・Firefox ESR (surprisingly more lightweight)

■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■

・apt (package manager)
・ranger (file manager)
・play (music player)
・pass (password manager)
・wttr (weather information)
・cal (calendar)
・toot (Fediverse client)
・quich (calculator)
・nvim (text editor)
・w3m (web browser)
・mc (file manager + text editor)
・profanity (XMPP client)

And my top 3 by far most used software:
1. ssh
2. scp
3. (not really software, but rather a feature of a software) USB or WiFi tethering

As for the OS, that's Mobian.
I'm not joking when I say I'm using the terminal way more than the GUI.
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry
(12-12-2021, 06:50 AM)ryo Wrote:
(12-12-2021, 05:51 AM)biketool Wrote: Ryo,

Sure, in the order of frequency of usage from most to least, separated between GUI and TUI apps.
・Mozc + Fcitx5 (input method, I tried to replace Google's Mozc with the free/libre KKC, but the conversions are so terrible, I was forced to switch back to Mozc)
・Gnome Terminal (no explanation necessary)
・Gajim (XMPP client)
・Geary (mail client, yea I boomer sometimes)
・Qutebrowser (web browser, though gets outragingly slow with 4 or more tabs open)
・VLC (for music)
・Nautilus (file manager)
・Firefox ESR (surprisingly more lightweight)

■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■

・apt (package manager)
・ranger (file manager)
・play (music player)
・pass (password manager)
・wttr (weather information)
・cal (calendar)
・toot (Fediverse client)
・quich (calculator)
・nvim (text editor)
・w3m (web browser)
・mc (file manager + text editor)
・profanity (XMPP client)

And my top 3 by far most used software:
1. ssh
2. scp
3. (not really software, but rather a feature of a software) USB or WiFi tethering

As for the OS, that's Mobian.
I'm not joking when I say I'm using the terminal way more than the GUI.

Thanks, so far that is what I have been using it for too maybe a few scripts, phosh struggles with multimedia, though firefox is as functional as in android.
I am not a daily driver with my pinephone and really hope Maemo-Leste gets phonecalls, data, GPS, and bluetooth soon.
btw, is email really that boomer a thing?
Email is an open established standard that everyone everywhere can interoperate, far better than the many IMs of the past and present.
(12-12-2021, 10:18 AM)biketool Wrote: btw, is email really that boomer a thing?

Oh no no no, I was just mocking the fact that younger people primarily use webmail instead of a proper email client which the older people are more likely to use.
I'm one of the minority younger people that prefers to use a proper email client over webmail though.
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry