Very long boot time with Debian image
Hello to everybody .!

I'm writing here because I have a little problem.

I have received my Pin64 + with 2gb of memory a week ago.
I'm testing now the Linux images available for the Pine.

I like Debian images and so I have tryied them.

But, with Debian images I notice that boot time it is quite long(more than 4 minutes)

I have tested :

Debian Mate (3.10.101 BSP)

and

Debian XFCE (3.10.101 BSP)

With both of them I notice the same problem.

Than I have tryied:

Ubuntu Xenial image made by longsleep.

This ubuntu image boot in les than 40 seconds...! It is a rocket.!

Is there any way to fix this long boot time in Debian images.?

I wish to everybody a great day.!! Smile

Best regards

Filippo
(06-27-2016, 10:07 AM)Xabaras76 Wrote: with Debian images I notice that boot time it is quite long(more than 4 minutes)

Best regards

Filippo

hi Filippo, if you plug a serial cable into the exp header (ground pin9, Rx pin7, Tx pin8) you can monitor whats going on in the bootup... well, to save you the trouble, debian is waiting for almost five minutes (depends) on the network. The delay wouldn't have to be there, but it is; once you get your network setup and running (wifi configured, etc) the bootups will speed up a bit at that delay point; but, the delay is still there.

Its one of the questions I have for lenny, but he's busy getting the mali driver ready, so I'm not bugging him... 

Big Grin
(06-27-2016, 03:23 PM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote:
(06-27-2016, 10:07 AM)Xabaras76 Wrote: with Debian images I notice that boot time it is quite long(more than 4 minutes)

Best regards

Filippo

hi Filippo, if you plug a serial cable into the exp header (ground pin9, Rx pin7, Tx pin8) you can monitor whats going on in the bootup... well, to save you the trouble, debian is waiting for almost five minutes (depends) on the network. The delay wouldn't have to be there, but it is; once you get your network setup and running (wifi configured, etc) the bootups will speed up a bit at that delay point; but, the delay is still there.

Its one of the questions I have for lenny, but he's busy getting the mali driver ready, so I'm not bugging him... 

Big Grin

Thanks so much for your answer MarkHaysHarris777,

Do you mean a serial cable like the one from a desktop pc (COM port).?
Or I need any level voltage converter..?

Is that uart port 3,3 or 5 volts.?

and ...yes lenny it is really busy at the moment...and I would like to say a big "thanks" also to him...!

Best regards

Filippo
The one thing that will really impact boot times is availability of wired Ethernet. If a cable is not plugged in, it will wait five minutes until the boot starts.
(06-27-2016, 06:41 PM)Xabaras76 Wrote:
(06-27-2016, 03:23 PM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote:

Best regards

Filippo

Big Grin

Do you mean a serial cable like the one from a desktop pc (COM port).?
Or I need any level voltage converter..?

Is that uart port 3,3 or 5 volts.?

Its 3v3 only !  NO 5v !

You can get the cable at AdaFruit or Sparkfun.  Its basically a usb plug on one end (containing a PL2303 TTL serial chip) and then female header pins on the other end which you can plug into your exp port. The red wire is usually 3v3 (but check it because sometimes its 5v) and the green wire is the Tx pin, the white wire is the Rx pin, and the black wire is ground...  so,  green wire plugs into exp pin(8), white plugs into exp pin(7) and black plugs into exp pin(9).   (at this point, the red wire does not plug anywhere)

https://www.adafruit.com/product/954

Check out that link: above

marcus

edit: PS ... you can then use minicom or screen on your gnu+linux notebook computer as your serial console...
Hello to everybody,

sorry MarkHaysHarris777 for the late reply.
Thanks for your info ...I have already ordered an ftdi to uart converter....and I'm waiting for it .

In any case I would like to say tha it is available a new debian mate image that fix the very long boot time.
The image could be found here:

https://www.pine64.pro/downloads/#Debian-Linux

and it is the : Debian Mate (3.10.102 BSP)

It is a rocket..!!! Less than 20 seconds and you are using your Pine 64..!!  Big Grin

I wish to everybody a great day

Best regards

Filippo

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debian installer on Pine A64+ but no hdmi mrwick 1 4,884 07-28-2020, 01:49 PM
Last Post: kuleszdl
  Debian Pine64 h264/5 Video under vlc ozcy 6 12,748 04-15-2020, 05:27 AM
Last Post: dmitrymyadzelets
  OMV/debian/systemd: how to start the network kittyland 0 2,942 12-10-2019, 05:29 PM
Last Post: kittyland
  Debian 10 (Buster) in deep freeze - includes support for Pine64+ amp 5 10,090 07-22-2019, 09:29 PM
Last Post: amp
  Pine64 Debian Stretch/mainline [4.14.7] CallMeFoxie 50 121,105 07-22-2019, 09:24 PM
Last Post: amp
  Installing Debian with the Debian Installer (Buster RC1) amp 1 4,756 06-28-2019, 12:35 PM
Last Post: Kaarme42
  Script to build pure Debian images for Pine64+ amp 1 4,189 05-01-2019, 09:09 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Debian (Stretch) for Pine64-LTS wgray 2 6,262 04-04-2019, 09:54 PM
Last Post: wgray
  Is there just one fuctioning Debian Desktop image? KNERD 7 13,063 03-29-2019, 02:00 AM
Last Post: desai_amogh
  (ARCHIVED) Debian Jessie Images (3.10.102 BSP Kernel) New Release lenny.raposo-pine64.pro 259 459,959 05-21-2018, 06:30 AM
Last Post: Luke