Tutanota on Pinephone
I was wondering if there are any Tutanota users who have a Pinephone and if so what you do to access your email on your Pinephone ? I believe their AppImage file is x86 only (at least that is why I believe it won't run on the Pinephone) and there is no app in the repos so I am left with accessing it through a web browser which is a little less convenient.
PinePhone BraveHeart Edition

Pinephone Convergence

PineTab

RockPro64
Per their FAQ they don't have any IMAP service, but the app is open source so it could be ported.
Hey, I use Tutanota Web to access email. To be honest, their desktop app does not look like something I need to install while I have already capable browser and both web and desktop apps can do same thing.
(11-08-2021, 12:15 PM)j4n3z Wrote: Hey, I use Tutanota Web to access email. To be honest, their desktop app does not look like something I need to install while I have already capable browser and both web and desktop apps can do same thing.

That's what I used to do, too (and I always used to scratch my head for same reason you mention).

Eventually their lack of support for standards is what got me to stop using the service.
Cheers,
TRS-80

What is Free Software and why is it so important for society?

Protocols, not Platforms

For the most Linux-y experience on your Linux phone, try SXMO!

I am (nominally) the Armbian Maintainer for PineBook Pro (although severely lacking in time these days).
(11-08-2021, 06:01 PM)TRS-80 Wrote:
(11-08-2021, 12:15 PM)j4n3z Wrote: Hey, I use Tutanota Web to access email. To be honest, their desktop app does not look like something I need to install while I have already capable browser and both web and desktop apps can do same thing.

That's what I used to do, too (and I always used to scratch my head for same reason you mention).

Eventually their lack of support for standards is what got me to stop using the service.
I guess Tutanota is just doing what they can for privacy. I'm used to use browser to access my email and did not really get into standalone clients even on phones.
In my personal case, I guess a couple things happened in the meantime (in decreasing order of importance):

1. I realized that getting other people to go through the rigamarole was always a hassle. By far the biggest hurdle.

2. I started running my own XMPP server. Where I can be much more certain of not only content encryption, but also traffic obfuscation (if you run it as a hidden service).

3. I realized email is an inherently insecure platform. You can encrypt the contents, but not the metadata and traffic.

4. I don't really need encrypted email after all. Most of my usage is mailing lists, etc.

I understand why they need to take their current approach, but I guess in my case I finally realized it just wasn't a good fit. You sound pretty happy though, so to each their own. Just leaving some thoughts here for the lurkers. Cheers!
Cheers,
TRS-80

What is Free Software and why is it so important for society?

Protocols, not Platforms

For the most Linux-y experience on your Linux phone, try SXMO!

I am (nominally) the Armbian Maintainer for PineBook Pro (although severely lacking in time these days).

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  bookworm vs trixie discussion for mobian in pinephone regular. zetabeta 15 1,868 03-25-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: anonymous
  unofficial kali linux for pinephone help needed pinesmell 5 3,590 01-08-2024, 02:50 PM
Last Post: ERPlegend
  Axolotl on PinePhone / Mobian arno_nuehm 219 164,548 03-26-2023, 01:49 AM
Last Post: shulamy
  PinePhone won't boot after software update jb2000 2 1,314 03-17-2023, 07:26 AM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
Wink Pinephone lost graphic during mobian system upgrade cmpin 4 2,160 03-01-2023, 04:45 PM
  Battery problem with a Pinephone keyboard and Mobian elode 2 2,179 12-22-2022, 07:10 PM
Last Post: acid andy
  Sending Pinephone SMS from Desktop biketool 5 2,897 09-13-2022, 01:46 PM
  How to get Pinetime working with Pinephone arkadione 12 7,228 08-28-2022, 12:30 PM
Last Post: Fish
  PP Keyboard doesn't charge Pinephone (Mobian) jojuma 1 1,214 08-06-2022, 01:10 AM
Last Post: elode
  cryptocurrency on mobian/pinephone biketool 31 37,219 06-15-2022, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Hobbes42