cryptocurrency on mobian/pinephone
(02-03-2022, 04:19 PM)Wintermute707 Wrote: Maybe where you live. There are plenty of crypto stores in New Hampshire. And Bitcoin is not the only crypto-currency they accept.

There are none in my area at all that I know of. It is simply not possible to go down to supermarket or even the corner sandwich shop and pay in crypto. Most people, if they are aware of crypto at all, have only heard of Bitcoin and all have the same question: "How can it be worth anything?"
as a general warning.

i get scam calls about cryptocurrency investment systems. scams may vary little bit but they say you may have cryptos already or market crypto investment. these callers may spoof caller's number, so actual owner of that phone number has nothing to do with the scams. they are after your money or personal details, do not give either.

disclaimer: i may have complicated opinions about crypto currencies, however, cryptocurrencies are just used for scams and has nothing to do with scammers.
I don't get many scam calls since I keep the phone off most of the time but get them occasionally if I happen to leave it on for a while. Haven't seen a scam about crypto yet but will keep that in mind. (If I have time it's fun to lead the scammers down the primrose path for a while. If they start cursing angrily after their time has been wasted for a while I figure it's a job well done.)
(02-03-2022, 10:56 AM)user641 Wrote: Is electrum wallet already mobile friendly? Or mobian friendly?

No, it is not. It runs, but many things don't fit on the screen. Also copying and pasting stuff doesn't seem to be possible without a keyboard.
(02-03-2022, 08:29 PM)zetabeta Wrote: as a general warning.

i get scam calls about cryptocurrency investment systems. scams may vary little bit but they say you may have cryptos already or market crypto investment. these callers may spoof caller's number, so actual owner of that phone number has nothing to do with the scams. they are after your money or personal details, do not give either.

disclaimer: i may have complicated opinions about crypto currencies, however, cryptocurrencies are just used for scams and has nothing to do with scammers.

Yes, the scams are a big reason crypto is more difficult to buy, the one-way nature and ease of buying and sending (hey dummy take this QR code to your nearby BTC kiosk) makes BTC the preferred payment method and is replacing Western Union and postal money telegrams for scammers.
Amazon and Ebay were both supposed to start accepting BTC this year, it makes sense and is the way crypto is really supposed to work, it is not supposed to be a way to get rich, it is supposed to be a way to buy stuff or pay for stuff and services without a bank or government being involved.
XMR ends up being for privacy and private storage both warm and cold, use one of the no-trust exchanges(atomic swap is nearly ready) to convert your BTC(or other big 5-10 usable coins) to a new wallet to maintain privacy, and then use your BTC to buy stuff.
(02-04-2022, 07:10 AM)biketool Wrote: Amazon and Ebay were both supposed to start accepting BTC this year

That's pretty cool! But doesn't bitcoin have huge transaction fees?
(02-04-2022, 03:48 AM)beta-user Wrote:
(02-03-2022, 10:56 AM)user641 Wrote: Is electrum wallet already mobile friendly? Or mobian friendly?

No, it is not. It runs, but many things don't fit on the screen. Also copying and pasting stuff doesn't seem to be possible without a keyboard.

I see, copying and pasting is quite easy on the pp, just hold and press that small bubble.
(02-04-2022, 09:11 AM)beta-user Wrote:
(02-04-2022, 07:10 AM)biketool Wrote: Amazon and Ebay were both supposed to start accepting BTC this year

That's pretty cool! But doesn't bitcoin have huge transaction fees?

Not really as far as I know, maybe a few cents or less I think, I have never sent or received bitcoin except as a way to arbitrage other 'coins' but it was never noticeable, not sure if BTC has options for urgency of transfer with different rates like XMR has(I have only ever used the cheap option).
I think there are coins which have 'gas fees' which I think might go to devs, miners, node operators, or stakers; not sure, I think etherium among those with outrageous 'gas fees' decided by the developer and operators but there are only a few useful coins in my opinion and I would not use one which did that.
I think XMR-Monero is among the most cyberpunk of all, a good established code base, privacy by design, easy seed words wallet recovery, variable priority pricing for transfer speed, and was designed to fix the perceived problems with bitcoin.  Bitcoin is useful because it is the most accepted coin, is easy to buy and sell, you can open all of the private one-shot throw-away wallets you like for transferring easy to buy BTC to your favorite coin, and while I mostly dislike an open ledger blockchain with NO privacy it is useful for proving ownership of your wallet for collateral purposes.  Atomic swap will make hopping between 'coins' easier and is now in beta testing.
Bitcoin has a scalability problem, with a very limited number of transactions per second that can be processed worldwide. It can take at least 10 minutes for a Bitcoin transaction to be confirmed, which makes it unwieldy for use as an everyday currency.

https://towardsdatascience.com/the-block...81f7230d17

Transaction fees are relatively high for small purchases and vary depending on how long you are willing to wait for confirmation (10 minutes to 1 hour).

https://privacypros.io/tools/bitcoin-fee-estimator/
(02-06-2022, 08:03 AM)Zebulon Walton Wrote: Bitcoin has a scalability problem, with a very limited number of transactions per second that can be processed worldwide. It can take at least 10 minutes for a Bitcoin transaction to be confirmed, which makes it unwieldy for use as an everyday currency.

https://towardsdatascience.com/the-block...81f7230d17

Transaction fees are relatively high for small purchases and vary depending on how long you are willing to wait for confirmation (10 minutes to 1 hour).

https://privacypros.io/tools/bitcoin-fee-estimator/

I was an early participant, but the open ledger blockchain always bothered me, even at $30/BTC I considered my easily mined horde of 30 coin more of a liability than an asset were I to use them.  I suppose at over $1M I might now want to somehow sell out of that position even to get a better crypto but I never foresaw the stupid speculation that occured so I wiped the failing disks and flash media with my keys, oops, no $$$ for me. 
Back on topic, better cryptocurrencies that are not scamcoins, pyramid scams, anti-privacy coins, or run by a corporation for profit are out there, scaling can be fixed as can the other problems but it requires a team of devs who are principled and probably anonymous to not be easily pressured to turn against the hodlers and miners.
I was a holder yet a non-believer early on, now I just want a privacy replacement for credit cards, cash and paypal; no speculation, just money I can easily and privately spend on dinner, airline tickets, or electronic components.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  bookworm vs trixie discussion for mobian in pinephone regular. zetabeta 15 1,514 03-25-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: anonymous
  cant verify mobian image at website gnugpg penguins_rule 0 70 03-18-2024, 08:54 PM
Last Post: penguins_rule
  unofficial kali linux for pinephone help needed pinesmell 5 3,449 01-08-2024, 02:50 PM
Last Post: ERPlegend
  mobian installed to eMMC - how to install tow-boot grump_fiddle_reinstall 6 1,712 11-22-2023, 11:46 AM
Last Post: aLoop100o
  What actions needed to keep on mobian testing user641 3 1,687 09-05-2023, 06:44 AM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  Mobian boot failed with zstd message after upgrade. Mahgue 0 581 09-01-2023, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Mahgue
  how to update mobian over tor vusra 13 6,540 07-09-2023, 08:57 PM
Last Post: vusra
  opensnitch outbound firewall now works on mobian vusra 2 1,798 07-09-2023, 01:37 AM
  Using Nativefier on PP64 with Mobian paulcarton 0 577 07-05-2023, 03:57 AM
Last Post: paulcarton
  Has anyone got briar-desktop running on mobian? vusra 5 2,863 06-19-2023, 03:02 PM