cryptocurrency on mobian/pinephone
(11-02-2021, 09:43 PM)ryo Wrote:
(11-02-2021, 04:38 PM)Barugon Wrote:
(11-01-2021, 01:19 PM)biketool Wrote: Privacy fans using pinephone need a way to pay without apple/google pay or a credit card.

Do people actually use cryptocurrency as currency or just for trading as a commodity?

As said above, Bitcoin is legal tender in El Salvador, and according to expats living there, it's accepted everywhere.
Yes, even at McDonald's where you can get your portion of GMO fake food for some of your Bitcoin.

Ukraine and Brazil have officially announced to make Bitcoin legal tender in their countries as well, and according to rumors a couple of Latin American, Eastern European, and African countries are allegedly (because not officially known yet) planning on doing the same.
Meanwhile, China just banned Bitcoin for the 100th time (without ever unbanning it by the way), EU and the 5 eyes countries have announced to regulate crypto to hell for the 40 billionth time.

So perhaps the answer to your question would be, depends on where you live.

My question was do people actually use it as currency, not if it is legal to do so. Also, being "legal tender" seems counter to the whole idea behind bitcoin.
(11-03-2021, 11:03 AM)Barugon Wrote: My question was do people actually use it as currency, not if it is legal to do so. Also, being "legal tender" seems counter to the whole idea behind bitcoin.

It technically is related.
Because while the more libertarian/anarchist people would be more likely to use cryptocurrency legal or not, but the entire rest of the world would refuse to even look into it until the government tells them to do so.
I believe that the crypto space these days is more split between Bitcoin Cash, Litecoin, and Monero when it comes to using crypto as currency, since Bitcoin is slow and expensive, and on top of that is entirely transparent (the last one is the same for Bitcoin Cash and Litecoin).

If you go on the deep web, nobody accepts Bitcoin anymore because of its transparency.
Everyone wants Monero instead.
But then again, the same people who believe that you can't use crypto until the government tells you it's OK to use it are those who don't even dare to touch the deep web and really believe it's only illegal criminal shit on there anyway.

This is why I had to point out the whole legal aspect to it, since at least 90% of each country wouldn't use Bitcoin or any other crypto in general if it's not considered legal, even though crypto doesn't require to be legal in order to be used.
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry
(11-04-2021, 01:59 AM)ryo Wrote: (snip)
Because while the more libertarian/anarchist people would be more likely to use cryptocurrency legal or not, but the entire rest of the world would refuse to even look into it until the government tells them to do so.(snip)
I think you are correct, though I have to say that to many English speaking people the word anarchist is informally defined in the press not a set of anti-authoritarian political beliefs but has come to mean people who riot, break stuff, and burn things because they love violence and chaos but hate order.
I think the popularity of crypto is also due to an early introduction to the concept in Cryptonomicon is a 1999 novel by popular sci-fi/speculative fiction author Neal Stephenson.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptonomicon
(11-05-2021, 02:12 AM)biketool Wrote: I think you are correct, though I have to say that to many English speaking people the word anarchist is informally defined in the press not a set of anti-authoritarian political beliefs but has come to mean people who riot, break stuff, and burn things because they love violence and chaos but hate order.
I think the popularity of crypto is also due to an early introduction to the concept in Cryptonomicon is a 1999 novel by popular sci-fi/speculative fiction author Neal Stephenson.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptonomicon

yup...
It's not exclusive to English speaking people though, I can confirm it's the same image among Japanese speaking people, and perhaps most other languages too.
Almost everything they say is the opposite, some things at some degree between 5° and 179°, and occasionally they speak the truth just to add some confusion.

Anarchists are just people who want to be free and just want to live like a human rather than a slave.
Crypto and Linux are definitely among the many tools to make a free society possible, and I do believe we already have everything to replace the Matrix with the free/libre counterparts, most people are being kept away from it exactly through definitions like these (among many other things, starting with education, pharma industry, political systems, economy, occupations, cities etc).
Some day humanity will understand that all the answers to all the mysteries/questions/etc are right within themselves and right in front of themselves, just like how animals and plants do.

Never heard of Cryptonomicon, I'll definitely take a look at it.
I mean, 1984 was supposed to be just a fiction, and look how most of the world is like nowadays.
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry
(11-01-2021, 04:38 PM)Zebulon Walton Wrote:
(11-01-2021, 01:19 PM)biketool Wrote: Privacy fans using pinephone need a way to pay without apple/google pay or a credit card.

I have a method for doing that, at least for local purchases. It's called "cash".

What is interesting is that serial numbered cash has become almost completely non-fungible now that all commercial accounting for cash includes using a networked cash counter to track serial numbers in order to backtrack counterfeits, at least for US dollars and Euros.  Those quick stacking cash counting machines as well as ATMs scan and upload all of the serial numbers to a central database, looking for the serial number duplicating at two far away locations indicating a fake in circulation, but much more interesting profiling can be done with that privately owned cash movement database.  With automation the once forgotten cash serial number become a way to track the movement and source for most cash transactions making cash nearly as traceable and profile-able especially over time as open blockchain cryptocurrencies or credit/debit cards.
I suppose a sock loaded with untraceable 2 Euro coins can be used to cudgel street robbers though.
Perhaps so, but unlike electronic payment it is not possible to definitively associate a specific cash purchase with a specific individual. Tracking movement of cash via serial numbers is far less precise than having a bank or other entity track everything that you do, definitely linking your every transaction with your identity to be scrutinized and analyzed in minute detail.

I still cannot fathom any good reason for a 3rd party to be involved in one's everyday purchases.
Is electrum wallet already mobile friendly? Or mobian friendly?
(02-03-2022, 10:20 AM)Zebulon Walton Wrote: Perhaps so, but unlike electronic payment it is not possible to definitively associate a specific cash purchase with a specific individual.  Tracking movement of cash via serial numbers is far less precise than having a bank or other entity track everything that you do, definitely linking your every transaction with your identity to be scrutinized and analyzed in minute detail.

I still cannot fathom any good reason for a 3rd party to be involved in one's everyday purchases.

Agreed, cash is tstill the best case privacy currency for most transactions under the cash reporting limit, but a intentionally obfuscating currency like Monero(XMR) accomplishes similar results by design and without the geographic profile.  What 3rd party are you referring to? most non-centralized coins just transfer numerical value from one 'wallet' ledger to another once the coins are mined.  Most transfer value transparently as well as make 'wallet' balance public even if it is not associated with a particular user/human but a few make it as private as possible and thus difficult to track and almost impossible to determine 'wallet' balance without the seed.
I will also agree that for the most part crypto is far harder to spend for real world stuff and services.
(02-03-2022, 11:02 AM)biketool Wrote: What 3rd party are you referring to? most non-centralized coins just transfer numerical value from one 'wallet' ledger to another once the coins are mined.  Most transfer value transparently as well as make 'wallet' balance public even if it is not associated with a particular user/human but a few make it as private as possible and thus difficult to track and almost impossible to determine 'wallet' balance without the seed.
I will also agree that for the most part crypto is far harder to spend for real world stuff and services.

I was referring to mainstream "cashless" solutions such as credit cards, debit cards, bank cards, and other electronic payment systems in general. In the U.S. you cannot even purchase an over the counter debit card without providing your serf identification number to activate it. (That's the "Social Security" number in the U.S., which BTW we were PROMISED way back when would NEVER be used as a national identifier.) So really there is effectively no private means of making purchases here except for cash. Some companies are pushing to make retail completely cashless but are being held back by legislation due to the fact that many lower-income people in the U.S. have no bank accounts or credit cards and no means to even buy food unless cash is accepted. Other than that there would likely be little or no pushback from the public, they accept universal surveillance with open arms. Usually when I go shopping everyone else is using cards or smartphones to pay.

Yes, a big problem with crypto at the current time is in that as you say it is difficult to exchange for real-world goods and services. (The few places that accept crypto here generally accept only Bitcoin.)
(11-02-2021, 07:58 PM)Zebulon Walton Wrote: In the U.S. there are very few "brick and mortar" stores that will accept crypto and a limited number of online stores.

Bitcoin has been declared legal tender in El Salvador. To use Bitcoin as a currency though you need something like the Lightning overlay due to Bitcoin's limited transaction capacity and high transaction cost.

Maybe where you live. There are plenty of crypto stores in New Hampshire. And Bitcoin is not the only crypto-currency they accept.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  bookworm vs trixie discussion for mobian in pinephone regular. zetabeta 15 1,514 03-25-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: anonymous
  cant verify mobian image at website gnugpg penguins_rule 0 70 03-18-2024, 08:54 PM
Last Post: penguins_rule
  unofficial kali linux for pinephone help needed pinesmell 5 3,450 01-08-2024, 02:50 PM
Last Post: ERPlegend
  mobian installed to eMMC - how to install tow-boot grump_fiddle_reinstall 6 1,712 11-22-2023, 11:46 AM
Last Post: aLoop100o
  What actions needed to keep on mobian testing user641 3 1,687 09-05-2023, 06:44 AM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  Mobian boot failed with zstd message after upgrade. Mahgue 0 581 09-01-2023, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Mahgue
  how to update mobian over tor vusra 13 6,540 07-09-2023, 08:57 PM
Last Post: vusra
  opensnitch outbound firewall now works on mobian vusra 2 1,798 07-09-2023, 01:37 AM
  Using Nativefier on PP64 with Mobian paulcarton 0 577 07-05-2023, 03:57 AM
Last Post: paulcarton
  Has anyone got briar-desktop running on mobian? vusra 5 2,863 06-19-2023, 03:02 PM