cryptocurrency on mobian/pinephone
I remember having a BTC CLI program for my Sharp Zaurus, probably for my N900 as well.
How can we get a multi currency crypto app running on Pinephone/mobian?
Privacy fans using pinephone need a way to pay without apple/google pay or a credit card.
There is a an untested(by me) CLI wallet for arm7 and arm8 from the official Monero(XML) website https://www.getmonero.org/downloads/ but not a multi-currency wallet,.  That is probably something available on github which would need some tweaks to port over to pinephone/mobian.
Ideally there would be btc, xml, and eth as well as other cryptocurrencys.
Monerojo is a Monero only wallet, is FOSS but is written for android so would require much work, though it does have the option of piping transactions through SideShift.ai to automagically convert the transaction to the receiver's desired cryptocurrency without requiring an account.
CakeWallet for most major coins, which I have not seen seems to be fully featured and ready to be strip mined for ideas and maybe backend code, is supposedly FOSS though several releases behind per posts I have seen, the UI which wont really transfer over might not be what a typical Linux user might be used to though.
(11-01-2021, 01:19 PM)biketool Wrote: Privacy fans using pinephone need a way to pay without apple/google pay or a credit card.

I have a method for doing that, at least for local purchases. It's called "cash".
That official Monero app has a nice UI and works on GNU/Linux, so you could try compiling it for arm. I don't know if its UI is responsive, but you could give it a try. You could also try running the Android ones using an emulator like Waydroid or Anbox.

I'm also confused about how cryptocurrency would help you with privacy. Usually all your transactions are public and you have to buy this crypto somehow, probably using regular money. So unless you can somehow buy it with cash I don't see how you gain privacy.
I mobile-friendly btc wallet with support for lightning would be great. Something like zeus and electrum
The main problem with full node crypto wallets is, good luck downloading an entire copy of the blockchain on a 32 GB eMMC.
Which is why I prefer something like CakeWallet or MyMonero to be made available for PinePhone, so you only sync the blockchain rather than store it locally.
Or otherwise have a locally accessible blockchain on your desktop PC, and sync your PinePhone to it.

(11-01-2021, 04:38 PM)Zebulon Walton Wrote: I have a method for doing that, at least for local purchases. It's called "cash".

I love cash, always have up to 40,000 yen with me every month, especially since we're still such a cash driven society, it's actually essencial to have a lot of cash with you.
However, the western world apparently decided at the same time to render cash extinct and go entirely digital-only a la Sweden.
The only way to push back is by using cash en mass while it still exists, the question is how many will actually do so?
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry
(11-02-2021, 08:27 AM)ryo Wrote: The main problem with full node crypto wallets is, good luck downloading an entire copy of the blockchain on a 32 GB eMMC.
Which is why I prefer something like CakeWallet or MyMonero to be made available for PinePhone, so you only sync the blockchain rather than store it locally.
Or otherwise have a locally accessible blockchain on your desktop PC, and sync your PinePhone to it.

(11-01-2021, 04:38 PM)Zebulon Walton Wrote: I have a method for doing that, at least for local purchases. It's called "cash".

I love cash, always have up to 40,000 yen with me every month, especially since we're still such a cash driven society, it's actually essencial to have a lot of cash with you.
However, the western world apparently decided at the same time to render cash extinct and go entirely digital-only a la Sweden.
The only way to push back is by using cash en mass while it still exists, the question is how many will actually do so?

Japan is GREAT about cash perhaps the best in the developed world, but for many users crypto serves not as cash but like a backup bank account(highly volatile) or speculative investment, it was more noticing that we have a CLI for Monero(more private) but most crypto users are not represented.  I am sure bitcoin core could be ported, it was running on a Linux Zaurus SL-5500 in 2009, but it is just one more app some users may want.
(11-01-2021, 04:38 PM)Zebulon Walton Wrote:
(11-01-2021, 01:19 PM)biketool Wrote: Privacy fans using pinephone need a way to pay without apple/google pay or a credit card.

I have a method for doing that, at least for local purchases. It's called "cash".

Grandpa Walton,
you made my Day :-)

Ciao
Walter

Do people actually use cryptocurrency as currency or just for trading as a commodity?
In the U.S. there are very few "brick and mortar" stores that will accept crypto and a limited number of online stores.

Bitcoin has been declared legal tender in El Salvador. To use Bitcoin as a currency though you need something like the Lightning overlay due to Bitcoin's limited transaction capacity and high transaction cost.
(11-02-2021, 04:38 PM)Barugon Wrote:

Do people actually use cryptocurrency as currency or just for trading as a commodity?

As said above, Bitcoin is legal tender in El Salvador, and according to expats living there, it's accepted everywhere.
Yes, even at McDonald's where you can get your portion of GMO fake food for some of your Bitcoin.

Ukraine and Brazil have officially announced to make Bitcoin legal tender in their countries as well, and according to rumors a couple of Latin American, Eastern European, and African countries are allegedly (because not officially known yet) planning on doing the same.
Meanwhile, China just banned Bitcoin for the 100th time (without ever unbanning it by the way), EU and the 5 eyes countries have announced to regulate crypto to hell for the 40 billionth time.

So perhaps the answer to your question would be, depends on where you live.

(11-02-2021, 09:56 AM)biketool Wrote: Japan is GREAT about cash perhaps the best in the developed world, but for many users crypto serves not as cash but like a backup bank account(highly volatile) or speculative investment, it was more noticing that we have a CLI for Monero(more private) but most crypto users are not represented.  I am sure bitcoin core could be ported, it was running on a Linux Zaurus SL-5500 in 2009, but it is just one more app some users may want.

And I think that over the next 3 years, Japan will be the only country in the developed world to continue to use cash too.
Some time ago they even announced some new styles for all the paper notes and the 500 yen coin which are set to be in use starting 2024.
When I visited Europe 2 years ago, I couldn't even go to a public toilet because they only accepted domestically issued bank cards, but at least the staff let me in for free because I had no bank card that supported it, and they refused to take the equivelant amount in cash I offered them.

As for crypto, I think this is more because of how little support crypto has in stores both offline and online.
People might use it more like cash if more stores would accept crypto, which they won't until more people start using crypto, which will never happen until more stores start accepting crypto, and so on.
I hold on to primarily Monero, also have a bit of Bitcoin, Dero, and LBRY Credit (which I rather won't count, because it's a bit scammy considering it's designed to be only usable on 1 specific video platform), but to me too it's all more like a savings account which the government can't touch than it is to actually buy things with.
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  bookworm vs trixie discussion for mobian in pinephone regular. zetabeta 15 1,514 03-25-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: anonymous
  cant verify mobian image at website gnugpg penguins_rule 0 70 03-18-2024, 08:54 PM
Last Post: penguins_rule
  unofficial kali linux for pinephone help needed pinesmell 5 3,449 01-08-2024, 02:50 PM
Last Post: ERPlegend
  mobian installed to eMMC - how to install tow-boot grump_fiddle_reinstall 6 1,711 11-22-2023, 11:46 AM
Last Post: aLoop100o
  What actions needed to keep on mobian testing user641 3 1,687 09-05-2023, 06:44 AM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  Mobian boot failed with zstd message after upgrade. Mahgue 0 580 09-01-2023, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Mahgue
  how to update mobian over tor vusra 13 6,540 07-09-2023, 08:57 PM
Last Post: vusra
  opensnitch outbound firewall now works on mobian vusra 2 1,798 07-09-2023, 01:37 AM
  Using Nativefier on PP64 with Mobian paulcarton 0 577 07-05-2023, 03:57 AM
Last Post: paulcarton
  Has anyone got briar-desktop running on mobian? vusra 5 2,861 06-19-2023, 03:02 PM