Latest suggestion to fix modem instability?
I am running SXMO on postmarketOS stable on a PinePhone UBports Edition. My modem crashes several times a day, on bad days every few minutes, on good days maybe just twice. On IRC someone suggested to flash Biktorgj's Pinephone Modem SDK. Now I wonder if this is a good idea, or if there are simpler remedies now. Flashing involves building the whole thing, which requires me to free up 50 GB on disk and probably takes ages.
(10-31-2021, 01:53 PM)feklee Wrote: I am running SXMO on postmarketOS stable on a PinePhone UBports Edition. My modem crashes several times a day, on bad days every few minutes, on good days maybe just twice. On IRC someone suggested to flash Biktorgj's Pinephone Modem SDK. Now I wonder if this is a good idea, or if there are simpler remedies now. Flashing involves building the whole thing, which requires me to free up 50 GB on disk and probably takes ages.

You don't have to build it yourself, as Biktorgj has pre-made releases available here .

I'm running Phosh on PostmarketOS edge with  01.002.01.002 firmware. The modem does drop out occasionally, but self recovers pretty quickly (I'll wake the phone up and see that there is no cellular signal strength shown on the lock screen. I enter my PIN, and withing 15 seconds the cellular signal strength meter is back in the status bar. And then another few seconds later the 4G symbol is in the status bar.) - I'm in the US using StraightTalk MVNO on AT&T.

I had used Biktorgj's firmware up to 2 weeks ago and in my experience that stock firmware recovers faster. - You experience my differ from mine.

Mark
(10-31-2021, 02:14 PM)mark1250 Wrote: You don't have to build it yourself, as Biktorgj has pre-made releases available here .

Thanks!

Quote:I'm running Phosh on PostmarketOS edge

Edge has some improvements regarding the modem, so maybe I should switch to that. I was just worried that Edge is too unstable in general. The PinePhone is my main phone.

Quote:self recovers pretty quickly

Mine doesn't, I have to reboot.

Quote:I'm in the US using StraightTalk MVNO on AT&T.

Germany, at the moment, with Telekom.

Quote:I had used Biktorgj's firmware up to 2 weeks ago and in my experience that stock firmware recovers faster.

Interesting, glad I asked.
I'm using and testing PMOS edge for several months now, the modem works very well (improvements to ModemManager daemon) and the OS is really stable.
(11-01-2021, 01:43 AM)Juergen Wrote: I'm using and testing PMOS edge for several months now, the modem works very well (improvements to ModemManager daemon) and the OS is really stable.

OK, I just updated to Edge. Already had two modem crashes within an hour. But, diagnostics seems to be a bit better (or I didn't realize it before). When I run nmcli c up Telekom it says: "PIN code is needed [...]"

So I switched to nmcli --ask c up Telekom, and after entering the PIN of my SIM, the network came back up. I assume this PIN is also in the way of the automatic recoveries. Is there any way to hardcode the PIN?

Otherwise I may deactivate the PIN on my SIM, which is OK for that one because it's prepaid anyhow.
(11-01-2021, 07:31 AM)feklee Wrote: Otherwise I may deactivate the PIN on my SIM, which is OK for that one because it's prepaid anyhow.

Did that now, and documented it in the SXMO wiki:

Code:
mmcli -i any --pin=1234 --disable-pin

However, that likely will not mitigate all the modem crashes. Yesterday, for example, I got the error message that the modem is not found, requiring me to reboot.
Update: The modem crashes as often as before, often times requiring a reset of the device. So upgrading to Edge and disabling the PIN did not resolve the issue. So I may as well try the Biktorgj firmware.

Hopefully, the PinePhone Pro will be more robust, and hopefully I can get a dev edition.  Smile
My attempt at flashing the modem bricked it. What to do?  Cry

Here's how I proceeded, with error messages at the end:

1. Checked version of ADSP firmware:
    Code:
    $ mmcli -m any --command="AT+QGMR"
    response: 'EG25GGBR07A08M2G_01.001.01.001'
  2. Upgraded to ADSP version 01.003.01.003:
    Code:
    # cd /tmp
    # wget https://github.com/Biktorgj/quectel_eg25_recovery/raw/EG25GGBR07A08M2G_01.003.01.003/update/NON-HLOS.ubi
    # echo -ne "AT+QFASTBOOT\r" > /dev/ttyUSB2
    # fastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.ubi && fastboot reboot
  3. Flashed the Biktorgj firmware, and that failed:
    Code:
    $ cd ~/src
    $ wget https://github.com/Biktorgj/pinephone_modem_sdk/releases/download/0.4.2/package.tar.gz
    $ mkdir firmware
    $ tar xzf package.tar.gz -C firmware
    $ cd firmware
    $ sudo ./flashall
    Sending AT+QFASTBOOT...
    FAILED (remote: 'unknown command')
    fastboot: error: Command failed
    Sending 'aboot' (486 KB)                          OKAY [  0.024s]
    Writing 'aboot'                                    OKAY [  0.209s]
    Finished. Total time: 0.244s
    Rebooting                                          OKAY [  0.018s]
    Finished. Total time: 0.068s
    < waiting for any device >
    OKAY [  0.002s]
    Finished. Total time: 0.003s
    Sending 'boot' (4566 KB)                          OKAY [  0.150s]
    Writing 'boot'                                    FAILED (Status read failed (No such device))
    fastboot: error: Command failed
    ./flashall: exit: line 11: Illegal number: Failed to flash main kernel

Phew fixed, Biktor pointed me to the recovery instructions: My modem won't boot anymore

Afterwards, flashing went smoothly.  Smile
hey feklee, did flashing the modem resolve the stability issue?
My suggestion is: don't have preferences. For example I wasn't getting replies in SMS from my wife. I messed around and tried configuring the modem. Luckily I did not do too much damage, because I found out the culprit was iMessage. My carrier still thinks the sim card is in an iPhone. Once she turned off iMessage, everything working just fine. If it looks viable just out of the box, then maybe tweak it. Otherwise, unless you are an expert on whatever speciality, like mobile modems, you will probably be thrashing around in quicksand...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Firefox Crashes on Start-up (latest installer) & How do I change Default Browser? aLoop100o 1 349 11-22-2023, 10:16 AM
Last Post: zetabeta
  Plasma mobile latest stable @pp1.2b voice calling audio issue n05ph3r42 3 683 10-03-2023, 06:32 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Issues after installing latest PostMarket OS with POSH xen314 4 1,202 08-20-2023, 11:18 PM
Last Post: xen314
  Latest build no firefox, text editor? cosmicschock 2 2,237 10-03-2021, 12:19 PM
Last Post: cosmicschock
Thumbs Up Modem Shutdown/Startup Scripts big_fluff 0 1,762 05-08-2021, 12:59 AM
Last Post: big_fluff
  PMOS test image: failed EG25 test broke modem fw MtnSk8 4 5,513 02-28-2021, 02:20 PM
Last Post: MtnSk8
  Modem can't dial out jmorris 12 13,569 11-25-2020, 08:24 PM
Last Post: bcnaz
  Latest Installer Image hangs after updates u20200719 4 5,518 07-22-2020, 11:35 AM
Last Post: u20200719
Question Can't figure out audio routing for modem strake 4 6,347 05-22-2020, 04:46 AM
Last Post: nieral
  Does pmbootstrap install the latest image? mypine 4 6,027 02-20-2020, 01:02 PM
Last Post: mypine