Suggestion: PINE64 "MP3" Player?
(11-03-2021, 09:38 AM)unilock Wrote:
(11-02-2021, 05:31 PM)tllim Wrote: Rockbox community has approached Pine64 about a year ago and asked for an open source portable DAP (Digital Audio Player).

We have proposed back a month ago using BES2300 as the DAP SoC and RockBox community seems cool feet.

Oh, that's exciting! Here's hoping everything works out in that regard.
Looking it up online, it seems the BES2300 is a "Bluetooth Audio Platform" - would it support a 3.5mm aux port (headphone jack) as well?

BES2300 getting popular on high end ANC earbuds design. It has stereo DACs for aux/earphone output.
(11-03-2021, 02:31 PM)tllim Wrote: BES2300 getting popular on high end ANC earbuds design. It has stereo DACs for aux/earphone output.

That's good to know; thanks.
Well, if/when this comes to fruition, I'll certainly be one of the first to take a look!
I don't think there's really a need for one.
I mean, all an MP3 player needs to do is putting music in your ears wherever you go, so I don't really see a point in putting a full Linux distribution on it or something fancy like that.
Before MP3 players we had portable CD players, had the exact same purpose, but were only significantly bigger due to the size of discs.
Literally nobody is using portable CD players anymore.

And before that we had portable casette players, yes I'm boomer enough to remember this.
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry
(11-03-2021, 02:31 PM)tllim Wrote:
(11-02-2021, 05:31 PM)tllim Wrote: Rockbox community has approached Pine64 about a year ago and asked for an open source portable DAP (Digital Audio Player).

We have proposed back a month ago using BES2300 as the DAP SoC and RockBox community seems cool feet.
BES2300 getting popular on high end ANC earbuds design. It has stereo DACs for aux/earphone output.

When I think of Rockbox on Digital Audio Players it's typically a compact unit, rechargeable battery, storage for music files, LCD screen, controls, headphone jack and high-res music. I am not sure how a device for bluetooth devices (headphones, speakers etc) really fits the specifications. I can see how Rockbox got "cold feet" and might be quite confused trying to match RES2300 with what they expected. And bluetooth means lower quality musical fidelity, even APTX or APTX HD is not even half CD bitrate so not really part of any equation to solve open-source solution for a DAP.

In short, Rockbox "You say you can implement a DAP with a bluetooth device?" and wanders off somewhere else while making mumbling sounds.
(11-05-2021, 10:02 PM)ryo Wrote: I don't think there's really a need for one.

I'll admit there's not much need for yet another portable media player these days, especially given the prominence of smartphones. Still, it would be nice to have this niche filled with... something modern, maybe? Something open and hackable?
I guess something that simply meets my needs... call me conceited. XP

(11-05-2021, 10:02 PM)ryo Wrote: I mean, all an MP3 player needs to do is putting music in your ears wherever you go, so I don't really see a point in putting a full Linux distribution on it or something fancy like that.

I agree. Some sort of embedded OS (RTOS?), like what's found on the PineTime, would be far better suited for this sort of thing. Or Rockbox, of course.

(11-05-2021, 10:02 PM)ryo Wrote: Before MP3 players we had portable CD players, had the exact same purpose, but were only significantly bigger due to the size of discs.
Literally nobody is using portable CD players anymore.

I feel like that's a bit of an unfair comparison; sure, nobody is using portable CD players anymore, but digital media (MP3, etc.) is still popular, as are NAND and microSD cards. Then again, all those have been combined into smartphones, so your point is reinforced - there's no longer much of a point in a dedicated PMP. But, with that mindset, what's the point of e.g. the PineCom? (Not sure of your opinion on that. In a vacuum, at least, my point still stands.)

(11-06-2021, 05:01 AM)lot378 Wrote: When I think of Rockbox on Digital Audio Players it's typically a compact unit, rechargeable battery, storage for music files, LCD screen, controls, headphone jack and high-res music. I am not sure how a device for bluetooth devices (headphones, speakers etc) really fits the specifications. I can see how Rockbox got "cold feet" and might be quite confused trying to match RES2300 with what they expected.

Nevermind the fact that, AFAIK, Rockbox has no Bluetooth subsystem built-in.
(I thought "RockBox community seems cool feet" meant that Rockbox (collectively) was "cool with it," but them having "cold feet" makes more sense...)
(11-06-2021, 08:21 AM)unilock Wrote: I feel like that's a bit of an unfair comparison; sure, nobody is using portable CD players anymore, but digital media (MP3, etc.) is still popular, as are NAND and microSD cards. Then again, all those have been combined into smartphones, so your point is reinforced - there's no longer much of a point in a dedicated PMP. But, with that mindset, what's the point of e.g. the PineCom? (Not sure of your opinion on that. In a vacuum, at least, my point still stands.)

Full desclosure, I have an MP3 player which I bought not so long ago.
I did that simply because all I really use my phone for outside of my house is listen to music, and once in a while inform my friends (or they inform me) that I will arrive late for some reason.
Since the one is battery consuming while the other is not, I thought an MP3 player would solve that problem.

I used to use my phone as a camera, but I recently bought 2 cameras (a video camera and a photo camera) which both make far superior quality over a Pixel or iPhone, and at the same time it's far easier to get files transfered to my PC (swapping SD cards vs connecting to NextCloud and waiting hours to upload and another few hours to download).
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry
(11-06-2021, 08:21 AM)unilock Wrote: Nevermind the fact that, AFAIK, Rockbox has no Bluetooth subsystem built-in.
(I thought "RockBox community seems cool feet" meant that Rockbox (collectively) was "cool with it," but them having "cold feet" makes more sense...)

A few years ago, I think Rockbox starting thinking about the newer DAPs that had a bluetooth device and they talked about adding a bluez stack so the DAP has an additional secondary purpose to feed bluetooth speakers. I do not know if a Rockbox developer went all the way in implementing this to the end.
I'm a niche customer but I would pay for an mp3 player that could hold a couple TB of music, has a navigation window that can make sense for trying to get through a monstrosity like that, has lots of very cool sound modification options like Bongiovi that would be super great, plus a books on tape reader that allows for DAC through Audible, not that I like DAC but I like living in the world with everybody else to some extent.  Easy to connect to a car stereo or a home stereo via RCA cables for best possible sound hello Rockbox people.  And last, a really amazing podcast player, that uses pictures like the Apple podcast players, something that looks and acts slick.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Unable to connect to Pine64 IRC channel due to certificate error? Must-Borrow 1 247 03-10-2024, 02:43 PM
Last Post: Must-Borrow
  Forum Recommendations for Pine64 support? backwoodstech2 0 277 02-04-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: backwoodstech2
  Im thinking of building a Pine64 cluster Theirat1991 2 416 01-17-2024, 10:21 PM
Last Post: damiarobber
  PINE64 EU / Disappointment yoriel79 1 751 12-24-2023, 11:00 PM
Last Post: meekice
  How is it going Pine64.org? Corfromleuven 2 928 12-23-2023, 08:15 PM
Last Post: polinkuer12
  Registering my 'nick' on Pine64's IRC network diederik 5 1,071 11-13-2023, 07:36 PM
Last Post: ilebagels
  Suggestion for the Store Tourma 3 731 11-02-2023, 12:46 PM
Last Post: diederik
  pine64 opensource dumbphone Phie 13 3,534 08-16-2023, 02:29 PM
Last Post: Phie
  Possible new Pine64 product - Pine Blue Ray DVD Linux tv box Omnios 5 1,394 07-24-2023, 03:21 PM
Last Post: Omnios
  My Pine64 Logo Re-Design & Thoughts About A New Logo me! 0 674 04-24-2023, 10:03 PM
Last Post: me!