Why can't we have an alternative to DHL??
Have you read this before: https://pine64.com/shipping-policy/ (which everyone should before placing an order)

Well, I suppose you see the surcharge now because you gave your home address instead of the PO box.

If you really only see one shipping option then it validates some of what you have said.
(10-27-2021, 06:50 PM)lot378 Wrote: Have you read this before: https://pine64.com/shipping-policy/ (which everyone should before placing an order)

Agreed, everyone should read that. Only it's outdated, because Asendia Post, China EMS, China Post, Shun Feng, Singapore Post and Fedex are not offered anymore. Also, regular PO boxes can be added to "A.P.O.", “F.P.O.”, “D.P.O.”. 

Quote:Well, I suppose you see the surcharge now because you gave your home address instead of the PO box.

If you really only see one shipping option then it validates some of what you have said.

I actually didn't go that far, I just added those items to my cart and enter my town and postal code on the cart page. The surcharge mention is new, which is a step in the right direction.

Now let's implement alternative shipping options. Come on Pine64, you can do it!
Ok. Well you cannot and should not reveal the actual addresses for your home and your PO box in this thread.

However, those are needed to progress your case so you need to speak directly to Pine64 by e-mail providing those details in the hope they can unravel the logic in their shipping program and see if the standard option can be added again. The issue seems unique to your location some how as I see the standard option. May be they can infer them but that is not clear.

Good luck!
Your extra charges seem to be tied to your extremely remote location, plus your countries surcharges and fees.

After paying for my phones and DHL shipping charges at the Pine64 Store,  I have never had to pay anything extra after that.

I am semi-rural, about 15 miles into the desert.
  But DHL typically is at my front door 24 - 48 hours after they notify me they have received my package in Hong Kong.

..( I have also had some parts orders, those were shipped within the postal system, that does take much longer and saves only a few dollars.)
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
Figure out the street address of your post office, use that for your shipping address, apt/unit X where X is your P.O. Box number. I have been doing this for years.
Cheers,
TRS-80

What is Free Software and why is it so important for society?

Protocols, not Platforms

For the most Linux-y experience on your Linux phone, try SXMO!

I am (nominally) the Armbian Maintainer for PineBook Pro (although severely lacking in time these days).
I live in Canada. And I want to order the Serial Console "Woodpecker" Edition $1.99 and Pinebook Pro Console Cable $6.99.
So the total is $8.98

The only shipping choice is "Courier Shipping Method" which is $30. (Really? Yes that is the case. Your order is less than 10 bucks and the shipping is 3+ times more)

That is not the end of the story, since the shipping is via DHL, DHL will apply a custom processing fee. Since this is a service happen in my country, it is taxable as well.

This is the trick how DHL tries to get more money from us even we paid for the shipping cost already. Personally, I consider it as a kind of legal robbery.

Bear in mind that if the shipment is using regular Postal service, there is no such service charge because they are all included in the Postal cost already. The post office will do all the documentation and process for you FREE. (That actually is not free, we paid for the postal fee already, don't we?)

Just wonder if Pine64 don't really know about what DHL does, or Pine64 knows that DHL is going to rob the end user but still agree and allow them to do so.

Why not having the regular post service as an alternate option for the end user? I really wonder.  Huh Huh Huh
DHL has provided me the best service (EU) and they are also a lot quicker than postal mail (DHL is about 14 days and through the post 40+).

Every country has their own additional charges, which are always extra fees. DHL sends out an email regarding your country’s specific importation fees as well as an option to easily pay them online before delivery; I have never experienced a separate “processing fee” with DHL.

It seems postal options change over time to different areas, probably due to the number of claims, returns, lost and/or damaged items.
Satisfied PinePhone, Pinebook Pro & PineTab2 owner; Thank you Pine64Team for your work!  Smile
(03-17-2024, 06:32 AM)dachalife Wrote: DHL has provided me the best service (EU) and they are also a lot quicker than postal mail (DHL is about 14 days and through the post 40+).

Every country has their own additional charges, which are always extra fees. DHL sends out an email regarding your country’s specific importation fees as well as an option to easily pay them online before delivery; I have never experienced a separate “processing fee” with DHL.

It seems postal options change over time to different areas, probably due to the number of claims, returns, lost and/or damaged items.

So you are the lucky guy, EU has the best consumer law to protect their customer. May I ask how much extra service charge you pay for your last delivery via DHL? I'm not referring to the import tax. I am talking about DHL charge you extra saying "The shipping you already paid is just for the shipping. I carry your ordered item into your country and I need to charge for that service, so I charge you." I bet they cannot apply any service charge like that in EU countries.

On the Pine64 shopping site, EU even has a separate handling routine. i.e. a separated web page. So my discussion below is not for the EU, it is for the Global page according to the Pine64 shopping site.

The issue I encountered on Pine64 web site for any purchase is:

1. You pay $30 shipping fee (here, you only has one choice. And you don't know there will be a hidden extra fee and don't know how much)
2. You need to pay import tax when the product ship to Canada. (I'm ok with this one, we pay tax on purchase on our local stores too)
3. DHL after receiving the $30 shipping charge already, saying that the item needs to go through the process to enter my country so DHL needs to charge for that action. (This one is the ransom service charge I'm talking about and I do not agree upon)
4. Since DHL charges me for a service that happens on my country, I need to pay extra service tax on that ransom service (I'm not ok for this either)
5. DHL will not email me for that service and cost, do I agree on that or not, they just show up on your door and ask you to pay for it. (It's like: Hey loser, you are screwed! Show me your money or I return your good)

Back to the subject: Why Pine64 do not provide more shipping options?

The 40+ delivery days you mentioned is for surface postal mail. I'm talking about postal service via air. Yes, it will be longer that DHL delivery for sure but should not be over two weeks for most countries. I believe countries not have a world wide flight hub might suffer for a longer delivery time.

I remembered my last order from Pine64, the product (i.e. pinebook pro) is shipped out from Hong Kong. So my assumption is that all products will be shipped out from Hong Kong.

I did a quick research on Hong Kong Post Service about shipping to oversea via air.

https://www.hongkongpost.hk/en/sending_m...index.html

Air Packet Price (i.e. length + width + height on a bubble envelope not exceeding 90 cm or 35.4 inches)

100g or less HKD$24.70 ==> USD$3.17 (exchange rate 1 USD = 7.8 HKD)
101g to 200g HKD$45.70 ==> USD$5.86
201g to 300g HKD$66.70 ==> USD$8.55
301g to 400g HKD$87.70 ==> USD$11.24
401g to 500g HKD$108.70 ==> USD$13.93
501g to 600g HKD$129.70 ==> USD$16.62
601g to 700g HKD$150.70 ==> USD$19.32
701g to 800g HKD$171.70 ==> USD$22.01
801g to 900g HKD$192.70 ==> USD$24.70
901g to 1kg  HKD$213.70 ==> USD$27.39

To make people visualize the weight/price list vs the actual product weight, I did the following:

I have an Amazon 13 x 8.5 inches bubble envelope, it weights 8g
I have a Raspberry Pi 2B, it weights 45g
I have a 3 feet long USB cable, it weights 26g

If I put the above 2 items into the Amazon bubble envelope, it weights 79g. (i.e. less than 100g)

On the top of the above service, Hong Kong Post Office has insurance option one can purchase. It cost HKD$2.50 per every HKD$500. So if we purchase USD$256 (HKD$2,000) item from Pine64, the insurance premium will be HKD$10.00 which is USD$1.28.

Adding Tracking Registered option to the mailing packet will cost HKD$15.5 (USD$1.98) extra.

The web site also mentioned once Pine64 registered an account on the Hong Kong Post Office, the postman can come to the Pine64 office to collect the mailing packet.

If the item is shipped out from China, it will be even cheaper.

Here is the simplified Air Parcel price:
100g USD$1.32
500g USD$6.32
1kg  USD$12.57

for detail, check it out here:

https://www.travelchinaguide.com/essenti...e/rate.htm

Again, Why Pine64 do not provide more shipping options?

Let the community decide which shipping option they really want.

Option 1: go for DHL USD$30 shipping plus I don't know how much extra hidden cost.

Option 2: go for Normal Post office air shipment at USD$3.17, optionally add USD$1.28 for insurance, add USD$1.98 for tracking registered option. But with a longer delivery time.

Let the community have alternative choice please. That is my only wish.
It (almost*) all depends on your location.

If I put the PB Pro console cable + Woodpecker in the card and provide my location (in .nl), then I do get "Standard Shipping Method -E: $11.99" option.
When it arrives in .nl then I get a mail from PostNL about paying for VAT which in this case wouldn't be much.

My last order was from Feb 20th and send via Standard Shipping and arrived here on Mar 1st :-)
I do think that ppl from .nl are lucky wrt Standard Shipping (I think the first destination for all international orders is Amsterdam).

IOW: You do get the cheaper shipping option when it's available for your location.
I do not know what the criteria for those are or whether they could change over time.

*) Products with a battery are always shipped via DHL (afaik)
Through the post office I’ve occasionally had to pay additional fees, but never from a courier service.

As far as other shipping options go, I can also see the standard postal option when adding certain things to the cart. It does seem to depend upon what I add though and there is a “warning text” that courier shipping is the only option for some items.

Also, as a former “UPS only” shipper, businesses do get discounts for using only one provider. Besides, who in their right mind would want to complicate logistics by having to manage multiple shipper accounts & pick up times?

I’m tier 1 with UPS, so I pay X amount and then tier 3 with FEDEX, so I have to pay Y amount. Each company also used to provide their own label printer and packaging material, so you would also have to have stock on hand/purchase refills from them, thus increasing the cost to the consumer.

I could maybe understand your reasoning, if there was a great demand for the products, but at the present time; it’s a niche market for early adopters of Linux devices, which necessitates a cost effective business model.

Considering the low cost of their products and the options they offer, I am happy that Pine64 can provide a functional alternative to the major players.
Satisfied PinePhone, Pinebook Pro & PineTab2 owner; Thank you Pine64Team for your work!  Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is there an alternative email other than shipping@pine64.com Fusion_3.64 5 8,517 07-25-2016, 10:07 PM
Last Post: Fusion_3.64