software thoughts
Hey everyone, It has been a while since i messed with my pine phone but starting to get back into it more then ever. what software does everyone like the most and is it a daily driver?
Thank you
Chris
Please have a look at my report here: https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?...#pid101310
(10-20-2021, 05:05 PM)lacriz Wrote: Please have a look at my report here: https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?...#pid101310

Thank you
Whether it's daily driver ready or not depends on what you do with your smartphone normally.
If it's just calls and email, then it's more than ready.
If you on top of that also use some more lightweight free software like XMPP, VLC, and such, it's ready.
If you need CJK input, only Phosh, Plamo, and Lomiri are ready.
If you use TUI apps (ncurses powered ones more specifically), only Phosh and to some extend SXMO are ready (reason for SXMO is because you need to flip between 6 different keyboard layouts just to press the 1 key you might not have on the current layout).
If you use some more heavy stuff like Matrix or currently the by far biggest resource hog in the world: a web browser, you might want to wait for the PinePhone Pro.
If you use crypto wallets, please stick to the PC even if you use the CLI wallets (because of storage).
If you use Zoom, Discord, LINE, WhatsApp, or some other non-free software, PinePhone will be a waste of your time.
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry
(10-24-2021, 09:48 AM)ryo Wrote: Whether it's daily driver ready or not depends on what you do with your smartphone normally.
If it's just calls and email, then it's more than ready.
If you on top of that also use some more lightweight free software like XMPP, VLC, and such, it's ready.
If you need CJK input, only Phosh, Plamo, and Lomiri are ready.
If you use TUI apps (ncurses powered ones more specifically), only Phosh and to some extend SXMO are ready (reason for SXMO is because you need to flip between 6 different keyboard layouts just to press the 1 key you might not have on the current layout).
If you use some more heavy stuff like Matrix or currently the by far biggest resource hog in the world: a web browser, you might want to wait for the PinePhone Pro.
If you use crypto wallets, please stick to the PC even if you use the CLI wallets (because of storage).
If you use Zoom, Discord, LINE, WhatsApp, or some other non-free software, PinePhone will be a waste of your time.

Thank You for the info. right now I am using Mobian which Im not crazy about as of right now. Im very interested in using either Glodroid or LuneOS. Glodroid is asking for a  Authentication password. Do you happen to know what the password is? 
LuneOS Calls and text will not work. Do you know what that could be?

Thank You
Glodroid is asking for a Authentication password. Do you happen to know what the password is?
LuneOS Calls and text will not work. Do you know what that could be?
[/quote]
I'm using neither of the 2, sorry.
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ATTN MODS: Create 'Genode OS on PinePhone' Sub-Forum under PinePhone Software PineFone 3 2,142 02-11-2023, 06:23 PM
Last Post: zetabeta
  [Stupid Question] Where is the phone camera software?! newusername 5 2,741 10-10-2022, 03:58 AM
Last Post: newusername
  Software keyboard question orbital 1 1,101 06-27-2022, 03:18 AM
Last Post: wibble
  Fixing the USB-C problem in software? heng 18 20,434 01-24-2021, 11:07 PM
Last Post: xonq
  Power Consumption Monitoring Software? Lousy Fisherman 0 1,715 11-22-2020, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Lousy Fisherman
  OpenBCI brain computer interface software for the PinePhone Peter Gamma 5 6,089 09-12-2020, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Is there a sound card input on the Pinephone which can be used by Python software? Peter Gamma 5 6,703 06-24-2020, 06:08 AM
Last Post: wibble
  Does software code which was written for the Rasperri Pi run on also the Pinephone? Peter Gamma 9 12,576 06-17-2020, 11:04 PM
Last Post: Peter Gamma