Switching from Firefox OS
There are a lot of videos popping up lately telling you how crappy the PinePhone software is and that it's "for developers only". 

However, here is what I currently have:

I use a ZTE Open phone from 2014, running Firefox OS. I use it for phone calls, text messages, taking photos, and occasional web browsing (much of the newer stuff won't load in the outdated browser app). 

The hardware is old, and Firefox OS has long been discontinued. I would like to have better hardware, a long-term maintained operating system, and a reliable map service for locating stuff. I won't use GPS even on a PinePhone, but if it can be reliably switched off, that's fine with me.

I dislike Android and I am not going to switch back.

I have a degree in CS, use Linux (currently Artix) on my laptop, and have some experience running Linux servers, but I wouldn't call myself an advanced user. If I ditch my current device and get a PinePhone, will I be able to continue doing what I do without being annoyed all the time?
Hello kk,
'Some' of the operating systems are working 'out of the box' - while some still need a developers skill set to make them work.

Mobian, Arch/arm, and Post Market are quite different from each other, *but seem to be your best bet if you want an actual working system "Out of the Box"...

"in My opinion",

----> I have been following the Pine phone since I ordered the Brave Heart phone in November 2019, and received it early 2020.

Currently I have : 1 Manjaro Convergent phone, 3 Post Market Convergent phones all running with active sim cards.
While the Brave Heart phone is waiting for me to install the upgraded mainboard.
Of the 4 running phones, one is my Daily Driver, and the 3 other phones I use to 'test drive' the various operating systems.

...The Pinephone is my first experience with a Linux phone.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
If you just do calls, SMS and maybe a little web browsing, the Pinephone is pretty solid already. The camera works, and the autofocus works, but it's not a great camera and I have not been satisfied with the pictures. The camera on my old Blackberry Passport spoiled me.
Pinephone beta edition, convergence model, Mobian Bookworm with Phosh.
I expect to see 'Pin Hole' show up again, . . . eventually...

awai had mentioned that it would return 'later' . . . perhaps about a year or more back.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  No Firefox? MarsColonist 3 1,795 05-21-2022, 08:20 PM
Last Post: epiii2
  copy/past/ firefox/mobian rvh 2 2,641 04-22-2021, 06:25 AM
Last Post: rvh
  firefox rvh 0 1,227 04-07-2021, 06:51 PM
Last Post: rvh
  Firefox ESR on PinePhone - too many threads created? LinAdmin2 0 2,021 10-02-2020, 10:34 AM
Last Post: LinAdmin2