Pinetime almost dead... only shows Infinitime logo.
My Pinetime was running fine for weeks after upgrading the new watch from Infinitime 1.2 to 1.3 (using GadgetBridge on my Lineage phone). Only problem I noticed was difficulty reconnecting to my phone.

But one night, a couple weeks ago, I noticed the watch had shut down. I restarted it with the power button, saw the 1.0.0 boot screen with pinecone, which filled with green (as normal) and then switched to Infinitime logo. The watch was otherwise completely unresponsive. Only thing I've been able to do is long-press the button to force a restart. Unable to connect with it via GadgetBridge...

I let the battery run out all the way (left it like that for a few days to see if it might reset thing for it to go completely flat - no luck so far!).

If I charge it briefly, I can see the same behaviour. The only other behaviour I see is that when I long-press and force a reboot, if I continue holding the button, the green progressing up the pinecone turns blue (if I let got at that point, it progresses in blue and goes to the Infinitime logo, same lack of responsiveness) and if i continue holding it turns red just before completing. In all cases, it then shifts to the Infinitime logo and is otherwise unresponsive.

Anyone else see this? Any thoughts on how to recover?
This sounds like something @JF002 could comment on - but also you could raise a ticket on GitHub: https://github.com/InfiniTimeOrg/InfiniTime/issues

If you are able to open the watch, probably the best option would be to fresh-flash it. (This may end up being your only option anyway.)

In terms of the steps you performed, I am guessing you were on a (manually) validated (+) version of 1.2, then flashed 1.3 via GadgetBridge? Did you then validate the firmware?

You say you are unable to connect - do you mean that is is stuck on the boot screen?

Generally my process for upgrading is as follows:

1. Start from a validated firmware that works. As it takes a while, I like to charge the watch at the same time.

2. Download DFU from releases page and upload via GadgetBridge.

3. The PineTime resets itself as part of the upgrade. I then test basic functionality, such as the ability to connect to my phone via BT.

4. Once I am happy it is able to perform in at least some basic manner, I go into the menu and validate it.

Is your process different from this?

(+) By validated, I mean you went into the menu after flashing the DFU file and pressed a button to validate the firmware.
(10-03-2021, 05:04 PM)barray Wrote: This sounds like something @JF002 could comment on - but also you could raise a ticket on GitHub: https://github.com/InfiniTimeOrg/InfiniTime/issues

If you are able to open the watch, probably the best option would be to fresh-flash it. (This may end up being your only option anyway.)

In terms of the steps you performed, I am guessing you were on a (manually) validated (+) version of 1.2, then flashed 1.3 via GadgetBridge? Did you then validate the firmware?

You say you are unable to connect - do you mean that is is stuck on the boot screen?

Generally my process for upgrading is as follows:

1. Start from a validated firmware that works. As it takes a while, I like to charge the watch at the same time.

2. Download DFU from releases page and upload via GadgetBridge.

3. The PineTime resets itself as part of the upgrade. I then test basic functionality, such as the ability to connect to my phone via BT.

4. Once I am happy it is able to perform in at least some basic manner, I go into the menu and validate it.

Is your process different from this?

(+) By validated, I mean you went into the menu after flashing the DFU file and pressed a button to validate the firmware.
Thanks for your response! What you describe was exactly (from memory - was a few months ago) my process. And yes, I validated my firmware. And no, the watch gets past the boot "pinecone" and ends up on the two-triangle InfiniTime logo, and is then unresponsive. My watch is a sealed version - what do you mean re "open the watch"? Physically or metaphorically Smile ... 

I'll submit a Github issue. Thanks again.
@lightweight I pointed the community towards your problem and there are a few points:

Quote:P64ProtocolBot: [D] <thanos the they/them engine> I've opened a sealed unit
P64ProtocolBot: [D] <thanos the they/them engine> bit more than just a hairdryer but it's not super difficult

So worst comes to worst, it would be possible to open the PineTime. We're not quite there yet, but people have been able to successfully open sealed devices.

Quote:P64ProtocolBot: [D] <Geekboy1011> @B[] i dont have an account on the forum yet, but ask him if he removed the pairing from his phone.
P64ProtocolBot: [D] <Geekboy1011> It sounds like he is making it into the infintime recovery firmware (good!) but gadgetbridge is not seeing the watch. Which can happen when its paired to the device as it ignore paired devices

The fact you are seeing _something_ is apparently a good sign.

So the suggestion here is to remove all pairing in your phone. I would suggest the following:

1. Remove the PineTime from any Bluetooth pairing.

2. Fully power off your phone (this ensures GadgetBridge and Bluetooth are cleared of any state on your phone).

3. Restart phone.

4. Long-press the PineTime to reset it.

5. Start GadgetBridge and attempt to pair (you may need to turn on Bluetooth again).

Please get back to us with the results.
(10-03-2021, 05:20 PM)barray Wrote: @lightweight I pointed the community towards your problem and there are a few points:

Quote:P64ProtocolBot: [D] <thanos the they/them engine> I've opened a sealed unit
P64ProtocolBot: [D] <thanos the they/them engine> bit more than just a hairdryer but it's not super difficult

So worst comes to worst, it would be possible to open the PineTime. We're not quite there yet, but people have been able to successfully open sealed devices.

Quote:P64ProtocolBot: [D] <Geekboy1011> @B[] i dont have an account on the forum yet, but ask him if he removed the pairing from his phone.
P64ProtocolBot: [D] <Geekboy1011> It sounds like he is making it into the infintime recovery firmware (good!) but gadgetbridge is not seeing the watch. Which can happen when its paired to the device as it ignore paired devices

The fact you are seeing _something_ is apparently a good sign.

So the suggestion here is to remove all pairing in your phone. I would suggest the following:

1. Remove the PineTime from any Bluetooth pairing.

2. Fully power off your phone (this ensures GadgetBridge and Bluetooth are cleared of any state on your phone).

3. Restart phone.

4. Long-press the PineTime to reset it.

5. Start GadgetBridge and attempt to pair (you may need to turn on Bluetooth again).

Please get back to us with the results.

Hah! That seems to have worked, after a fashion. Despite being unresponsive on the Infinitime screen, after removing the watch device from GadgetBridge and restarting, I was able to connect to the watch (it remained otherwise unresponsive), and I updated it with the 1.6.0 release of InfiniTime successfully. With a reboot, the watch appears to be working again. It seems I successfully validated the 1.6.0 firmware (at least that's what the watch is reporting) - many thanks! Pinetime resurrected!
(10-03-2021, 05:36 PM)lightweight Wrote: Hah! That seems to have worked, after a fashion.

Great to hear! Long live the PineTime!

(10-03-2021, 05:36 PM)lightweight Wrote: Despite being unresponsive on the Infinitime screen, after removing the watch device from GadgetBridge and restarting, I was able to connect to the watch (it remained otherwise unresponsive), and I updated it with the 1.6.0 release of InfiniTime successfully. With a reboot, the watch appears to be working again. It seems I successfully validated the 1.6.0 firmware (at least that's what the watch is reporting) - many thanks! Pinetime resurrected!

You can thank @Geekboy1011 in the Pine64 Discord server, they figured out that your device was in recovery firmware.

As of 1.6, Bluetooth should be somewhat more reliable now too, so less resetting, etc, required.

Do us a favour and make sure you use your PineTime regularly! All testing and feedback is valuable for future improvements and fixes Smile
(10-03-2021, 06:26 PM)barray Wrote:
(10-03-2021, 05:36 PM)lightweight Wrote: Hah! That seems to have worked, after a fashion.

well this morning i woke up to see my pinetime in recovery mode...
followed the above receipe....
nothing Sad
i noticed that i could pair the device again in gadgetbridge .... (without result though)
but the installer stays in wait for reconnection......

so i went on and put a bt dongle on my comp, same, pinetime was visible, and after ~ 10 tries with siglo the download started.....
after 2 reboots, tt seems to work again....
any idea what's going wrong?
anyway thanks!
Hi everyone! I faced the same issue. I was running a pine watch with 1.11.0 firmware, but then after my toddler found it they start to show infinitime logo.

I followed steps described by @barray but my GadgetBrige refuses to connect to a pine watch. It sees it, it pairs with it, but refuses to connect. And firmware update via GadgetBriges is not possible without connected device.

Then I installed ITD (v1.0.0) software on my laptop. And my laptop was able to connect to a pine watch. But I can not upgrade a firmware.

Code:
itdctl firmware version

itctl firmware upgrade /home/alex/Downloads/pinetime-mcuboot-app-dfu-1.11.0.zip
Upgrade command requires either archive or init packet and firmware.

I need your help, because I think miss something very obvious, but I do not know what exactly.
(02-10-2023, 02:43 PM)alexmitroff Wrote: Hi everyone! I faced the same issue. I was running a pine watch with 1.11.0 firmware, but then after my toddler found it they start to show infinitime logo.

I followed steps described by @barray but my GadgetBrige refuses to connect to a pine watch. It sees it, it pairs with it, but refuses to connect. And firmware update via GadgetBriges is not possible without connected device.

Then I installed ITD (v1.0.0) software on my laptop. And my laptop was able to connect to a pine watch. But I can not upgrade a firmware.

Code:
itdctl firmware version

itctl firmware upgrade /home/alex/Downloads/pinetime-mcuboot-app-dfu-1.11.0.zip
Upgrade command requires either archive or init packet and firmware.

I need your help, because I think miss something very obvious, but I do not know what exactly.

Additional:
I set ITD in "debug" log mode in /etc/itd.toml
Journal shows next:
Code:
Feb 11 12:34:30 pop-os itd[36368]: 12:34PM WRN Error getting BLE filesystem error="characteristic adaf0200-4669-6c65-5472-616e73666572 (Filesystem Transfer) not available

Update:
I get it done!
I borrowed a another phone. Installed GadgetBrige. It successfully connected to a pinewatch. After third attempt firmware was successfully installed. And now a pinewatch live again =) 1 attempt was upload failer. On a 2 attempt the process stopped on a 100% upload value. I restarted the watch and 3 attempt was successful.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PineTime at FOSDEM jmlich 5 625 02-07-2024, 11:48 PM
Last Post: tllim
  PineTime turns off when removed from cradle tynstar 0 183 01-31-2024, 11:57 AM
Last Post: tynstar
  HR monitor shows 000 during jogging pinophone 0 351 11-23-2023, 04:07 PM
Last Post: pinophone
  PineTime and Amazfish on Ubuntu Touch jmlich 1 645 10-14-2023, 04:12 PM
Last Post: tllim
  PineTime is dead!! Markdanni123 12 13,506 09-18-2023, 10:17 PM
Last Post: ccchan234
  PineTime Sleep Tracking any_mouse 12 12,016 07-10-2023, 05:41 PM
Last Post: davidair
Exclamation Stuck at Infinitime Logo with 18% battery on full charge? PiningFjord 1 1,085 03-13-2023, 05:05 PM
Last Post: PiningFjord
  PineTime Dead out of box? henkery 1 1,152 03-12-2023, 04:34 PM
Last Post: henkery
  PineTime beginner MV1791 2 2,089 01-09-2023, 11:52 PM
Last Post: Canyonless
  Struggling to detect Pinetime over bluetooth John45595 0 1,121 11-20-2022, 11:06 PM
Last Post: John45595