Question regarding modem
(10-05-2021, 11:56 AM)walter1950 Wrote: Hello Anton,

I have the same Problem after "updating" the Modem Firmware on 25.08.2021.

Hi Walter, 

From which modem firmare version did you update to which version?

The problem only occurs on my pinephone with the modem firmware version 01.002.01.002 whereas
the pinephone with firmware version 01.001.01.001 does send SMS messages without any problem.

(10-01-2021, 06:31 AM)dcinoz Wrote: Let us know.

After the discovery that immediately after restart the IMS/VoLTE status is 1,0 for some time (before it becomes 1,1) and that immediately after restart the phone can send at least one text message (see above),

I checked the IMS/VoLTE status on my other, flawlessly working pinephone:

It's 1,0!

So setting it from 1,1 to 1,0 might indeed solve the problem.

How would you do that?

And, in case this works: How can the status be changed permanently?
(10-07-2021, 01:02 AM)AntonReiser Wrote:
(10-05-2021, 11:56 AM)walter1950 Wrote: Hello Anton,

I have the same Problem after "updating" the Modem Firmware on 25.08.2021.

Hi Walter, 

The problem only occurs on my pinephone with the modem firmware version 01.002.01.002 whereas
the pinephone with firmware version 01.001.01.001 does send SMS messages without any problem.

(10-01-2021, 06:31 AM)dcinoz Wrote: Let us know.

After the discovery that immediately after restart the IMS/VoLTE status is 1,0 for some time (before it becomes 1,1) and that immediately after restart the phone can send at least one text message (see above),

I checked the IMS/VoLTE status on my other, flawlessly working pinephone:

It's 1,0!

So setting it from 1,1 to 1,0 might indeed solve the problem.

How would you do that?

And, in case this works: How can the status be changed permanently?

Hi,

Weird that 3G only doesn't work as IMS is not involved, that shouldn't be happening (neither with 2G if that still works where you are).
And it works fine with a non-Pinephone?

I just realised the IMS off command is incorrect.....sorry!

You need to issue
Code:
mmcli -m any --command='AT+QCFG="ims",2'
to disable IMS function. 0 means it is set by the MBN (IMS profile) file, 1 means enable IMS function, 2 disable the IMS function.

Check whether it has worked using:
Code:
mmcli -m any --command='AT+QCFG="ims"'
Answer:
response: '+QCFG: "ims",2,0'
is what you are looking for. If it stays at 2,1 then try the command 'AT+CFUN=1,1' though I don't know if it's needed.

For 4G, I've read this: https://www.3gpp.org/news-events/1268-Di...-LTE-Myths
and so for 4G only there are 2 possibilities, without IMS working and with IMS working, so you should try both cases.

For IMS enabled I don't know whether the answer:  '+QCFG: "ims",1,1' meaning VoLTE is ready means that SMS over IMS is enabled as that may depend on the 'profile' you have selected / the modem has.

Code:
mmcli -m any --command='AT+QMBNCFG="List"'
will list the profiles on the modem (not sure what the open source modem has on it), you are looking for number,1,1 for the one that is selected.
The post on O2 Germany said use ROW_Commercial I believe so you would need:
response: '+QMBNCFG: "List",x,1,1,"ROW_Generic_3GPP",0x05040820,202009031 (x=0 for me)

Test in 4G mode only, not sure if it might try to send SMS over 3G, it should switch to 3G for calls if VoLTE is not ready (and not work for calls if 4G only and VoLTE is disabled).

I thought there might be easy logs to get from journalctl but I couldn't find anything explicit about an incoming SMS on my phone. Using the AT command as mentioned in a previous post is probably the easiest to see the modem response.

If you don't get anywhere after trying the above, I suggest logging a bug report on Mobian https://gitlab.com/mobian1/issues to see if the experts can help with debugging via logs.

On the IMS side I would say that I don't know that ROW_Commercial is guaranteed to work (that would be too easy) though another poster had it working for them so it should work for you too (unless the SIM / network has to be activated?). You do need a specific profile provided by your operator normally so there are no guarantees. I tried loading an Android one to the modem and though the file transfer was successful it was not recognised as an MBN file, unfortunately.

Good luck!
Pinephone v1.2 UBports CE. Adelaide, Australia using Amaysim SIM (Optus network, VoLTE enabled) with Mobian SD card. VoLTE working also with Felix / Vodafone AU and Aldimobile / Telstra AU.
Manjaro Plasma Mobile on EMMC.
(10-07-2021, 03:57 AM)dcinoz Wrote: Good luck!

You did it!

Thank you!

After executing 'AT+QCFG="ims",2' the response was '+QCFG: "ims",2,0' and now I can send as many messages as I wish without a single one getting lost. During phone calls 4G keeps working.

That's such a relief! I had thought the phone would end up im some drawer for defunct electronics.

The list looks as you suggested it should:

Code:
mobian@mobian:~$ mmcli -m any --command='AT+QMBNCFG="List"'
response: '+QMBNCFG: "List",0,0,0,"ROW_Generic_3GPP",0x05040820,202009031
+QMBNCFG: "List",1,0,0,"VoLTE-ATT",0x0501033C,202004261 (...)

However, I have now tried it several times after restarts and sometimes the response is not the desired 2,0 but the unwanted 2,1.

In that case the --command='AT+CFUN=1,1' did not help: 

Code:
mobian@mobian:~$ mmcli -m any --command='AT+CFUN=1,1'

error: command failed: 'GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.ModemManager1.Error.MobileEquipment.NotAllowed: Operation not allowed'

Anything I can do about that?

Whatever the turnout of  'AT+QCFG="ims",2', after a restart all that is lost: The response to 'AT+QCFG="ims"' is again 1,1 (sometimes 1,0) and not 2,0 (or 2,1).

Is there a way of making the change permanent?
Hi Anton,
That's great!
See my previous post for eg25-manager configuration, change the IMS config.
This what you need to change to disable VoLTE support even after reboot:
Code:
# Enable VoLTE support
#    { cmd = "QCFG", subcmd = "ims", expect = "1" },
    { cmd = "QCFG", subcmd = "ims", value = "2" },
It works for my Pinephone so should for you as well.

Weird that 4G calls work if VoLTE is 0 as then calls should switch to 3G....no idea about the AT+CFUN though I understood it as being a reset...I might try with my Pinephone over the weekend. Note that by default eg25-manager has IMS set by MBN so enabled for you it seems.
Pinephone v1.2 UBports CE. Adelaide, Australia using Amaysim SIM (Optus network, VoLTE enabled) with Mobian SD card. VoLTE working also with Felix / Vodafone AU and Aldimobile / Telstra AU.
(10-07-2021, 01:02 AM)AntonReiser Wrote: Hi Walter, 

Hello Anton,

I got my Pinephone “Community Edition: Mobian with Convergence Package" on Feb. 2021. Don't know the Firmware Status because it just worked ;-)

I followed this Instructions https://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/PinePh...are_update
"To get the latest firmware, clone the repository of user Biktorgj on the phone:
git clone https://github.com/Biktorgj/quectel_eg25_recovery ..."

Actual Firmware:
mobian@mobian:~$ mmcli -m any --command='AT+QGMR'
response: 'EG25GGBR07A08M2G_01.003.00.000'
mobian@mobian:~$

Ciao
Walter
(10-07-2021, 05:13 AM)dcinoz Wrote: Hi Anton,
That's great!
Code:
# Enable VoLTE support

Weird that 4G calls work if VoLTE is 0 as then calls should switch to 3G....no idea about the AT+CFUN though I understood it as being a reset...I might try with my Pinephone over the weekend. Note that by default eg25-manager has IMS set by MBN so enabled for you it seems.

Thanks, @dcinoz !

What I had not understood: Where do I have to save these lines? 

In /usr/share/eg25-manager there are three files: pine64,pinephone-1.0.toml, pine64,pinephone-1.1.toml and pine64,pinephone-1.2.toml

They all contain these lines
Code:
# Enable VoLTE support

{ cmd = "QCFG", subcmd = "ims", expect = "1" },

Do I have to exchange them in all three files with the lines you posted? And did I understand it correctly that I should copy the directory eg25-manager to  /etc? (Sorry for asking, but I'm a bit afraid of breaking things.)

Regarding the 4G calls: When response: '+QCFG: "ims",2,0' then the phone sends messages and it does indeed do 4G calls, or at least it keeps showing the "4G" on the display when having called or been called. On the other, older pinephone (with firmware version 01.001.01.001) it drops to 2G immediately when making calls. (By the way: While force 3G on the new phone [which we had tried in the course of our conversation] did not change the SMS problem, I later discovered that force 2G does: With only 2G enabled the phone can send messages.)

(10-07-2021, 11:35 AM)walter1950 Wrote: I followed this Instructions https://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/PinePh...are_update
Actual Firmware:
mobian@mobian:~$ mmcli -m any --command='AT+QGMR'
response: 'EG25GGBR07A08M2G_01.003.00.000'

Hi Walter,

That's exactly what I did; same firmware version here.

So chances might be good that dcinoz' instructions work for you as well. 

What finally did the trick for me was trying this immediately after restart:

Code:
mmcli -m any --command='AT+QCFG="ims",2'

Best of luck!
(10-08-2021, 02:01 AM)AntonReiser Wrote:
(10-07-2021, 05:13 AM)dcinoz Wrote: Hi Anton,
That's great!
Code:
# Enable VoLTE support

Thanks, @dcinoz !

What I had not understood: Where do I have to save these lines? 

In /usr/share/eg25-manager there are three files: pine64,pinephone-1.0.toml, pine64,pinephone-1.1.toml and pine64,pinephone-1.2.toml

They all contain these lines
Code:
# Enable VoLTE support

{ cmd = "QCFG", subcmd = "ims", expect = "1" },

Do I have to exchange them in all three files with the lines you posted? And did I understand it correctly that I should copy the directory eg25-manager to  /etc? (Sorry for asking, but I'm a bit afraid of breaking things.)

Regarding the 4G calls: When response: '+QCFG: "ims",2,0' then the phone sends messages and it does indeed do 4G calls, or at least it keeps showing the "4G" on the display when having called or been called. On the other, older pinephone (with firmware version 01.001.01.001) it drops to 2G immediately when making calls. (By the way: While force 3G on the new phone [which we had tried in the course of our conversation] did not change the SMS problem, I later discovered that force 2G does: With only 2G enabled the phone can send messages.)

I believe pine64,pinephone-1.0.toml, pine64,pinephone-1.1.toml and pine64,pinephone-1.2.toml are for Pinephone versions 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2 respectively. If you modify the relevant file in /usr/share/eg25-manager directory then eg25-manager will use those but they are overwritten with defaults whenever there is an eg25-manager update (the config file parameters seem to change, presumably trying to improve modem / phone stability). So your changes will be undone every time there is an update in eg25-manager.

To avoid that problem copy the relevant file to a newly created folder in /etc (all sudo) called eg25-manager and modify it as required.
The only problem with that is whenever there is an update you don't get any new improved settings for eg25-manager, so I recommend copying /usr/share/eg25-manager/ file to /etc/eg25-manager/ folder and modifying it again just to be sure (or just diff file1 file2 to see if there are any actual changes).

Otherwise just modify the file in /usr/share/eg25-manager directory and worst case it gets overwritten with an update but you know that you just modify it as required, easy to do via command line and ssh, right?

Hope that clarifies things.

It's easy enough to try it out for any of the files if you don't know which one will work, just update the file and save it and reboot, then test with the relevant AT command.

When will 3G be switched off in Germany? Have you tried the settings in the forum post I gave the link to? I only mentioned 4G calls for O2 but no SMS, so not sure if that would solve the SMS issue. Just curious as to the automatically selected profile, if it's not ROW_Generic_3GPP then ROW_Generic_3GPP could get SMS working too, but no guarantees, of course.
(10-08-2021, 03:44 AM)dcinoz Wrote: I believe pine64,pinephone-1.0.toml, pine64,pinephone-1.1.toml and pine64,pinephone-1.2.toml are for Pinephone versions 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2 respectively. If you modify the relevant file in /usr/share/eg25-manager directory then eg25-manager will use those but they are overwritten with defaults whenever there is an eg25-manager update (the config file parameters seem to change, presumably trying to improve modem / phone stability). So your changes will be undone every time there is an update in eg25-manager.

To avoid that problem copy the relevant file to a newly created folder in /etc (all sudo) called eg25-manager and modify it as required.
The only problem with that is whenever there is an update you don't get any new improved settings for eg25-manager, so I recommend copying /usr/share/eg25-manager/ file to /etc/eg25-manager/ folder and modifying it again just to be sure (or just diff file1 file2 to see if there are any actual changes).

Otherwise just modify the file in /usr/share/eg25-manager directory and worst case it gets overwritten with an update but you know that you just modify it as required, easy to do via command line and ssh, right?

Hope that clarifies things.

It's easy enough to try it out for any of the files if you don't know which one will work, just update the file and save it and reboot, then test with the relevant AT command.

When will 3G be switched off in Germany? Have you tried the settings in the forum post I gave the link to? I only mentioned 4G calls for O2 but no SMS, so not sure if that would solve the SMS issue. Just curious as to the automatically selected profile, if it's not ROW_Generic_3GPP then ROW_Generic_3GPP could get SMS working too, but no guarantees, of course.

Great, I think the issue is solved now.

Since I have added the aforementioned line to the file pine64,pinephone-1.2.toml, the phone boots with the setting '+QCFG: "ims",2,0' and sends SMS messages! (Except for one case in the test series, in which it was 2,1. I will keep an eye on that.)

With regard to 3G: I just read that my carrier apparently switched it off some months ago. When I set it to "3G only", it still shows the connection bar, but (which had escaped my attention) no network name and it does not make calls. No wonder I could not send messages with force 3G.

I was under the (maybe wrong) impression that it would not help to try the forum post, because it ended with "--> response should be '+QCFG: "ims",1,1'" which was the default setting on my phone anyway.

I think "ROW_Generic_3GPP" is the automatically selected profile, at least the phone tells me

Code:
response: '+QMBNCFG: "List",0,0,0,"ROW_Generic_3GPP",0x05040820,202009031
+QMBNCFG: "List",1,0,0,"VoLTE-ATT",0x0501033C,202004261 (...)

Anyway, after being really frustrated with my new pinephone I am extremely happy now that it works!

Thank you for your effort and your patience!
> Anyway, after being really frustrated with my new pinephone I am extremely happy now that it works!
>Thank you for your effort and your patience!

Glad to have been able to help.

If and when you need to enable VoLTE on 4G I suggest you pick up the existing post and take it from there. If it's disabled you won't be able to make or receive calls on 4G so not sure what your actual configuration is but if can send and receive texts and make and receive calls then that's a working (Pine)phone ;-)
Hello Anton, dcinoz,

You both saved my A**. Thank You!

I have changed all 3 *.toml Files and it works. It works also after a Reboot at the Moment.
Anton, You mentioned in a Posting today or Yesterday a maybe wrong Path to this *.toml Files. It took me some "Hours" to find those ;-)

Ciao
Walter
<Well done Gentlemens>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  quick question about mic Ferriah 3 276 03-23-2024, 02:11 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Supported Carrier and Modem Bands NachoMomma 4 1,507 03-23-2024, 02:00 PM
  power circuit can't charge battery and can't supply enough power for modem or wifi vortex 2 487 02-17-2024, 04:15 PM
Last Post: vortex
  pinephone keyboard + dock question tuxcall 7 2,651 02-05-2024, 03:17 PM
Last Post: wigan
Bug PinePhone modem keeps "disappearing" Kevin Kofler 14 5,502 03-22-2023, 05:28 PM
  modem not working michelinux 0 908 02-16-2023, 04:56 AM
Last Post: michelinux
  modem not detected al_x 3 4,174 02-15-2023, 11:17 AM
Last Post: fxc
  firmware udate Quectel EG25-G modem alwi 7 5,302 07-06-2022, 01:43 PM
Last Post: user641
  Need command to tell what modem firmware I am on. purpletiger 4 2,780 07-06-2022, 12:35 PM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  The modem does not recognize Korean SIM cards (what?) bdicewk 9 4,043 06-13-2022, 04:12 AM
Last Post: zetabeta