my broken pinephone, possible sale
i have weird dilemma now. i bought new pinephone 3gb/32gb variant, because previous one showed serious damage to the screen and touchscreen. touchscreen is broken and detaches from screen. roughly speaking half of the touchscreen works. i almost bricked the modem chip,  but i got it back though. so what to do half-broken pinephone.

option 1: use it spare parts

option 2: buy new screen, which is still cheap enough. https://pine64.com/product/pinephone-5-9...ch-screen/

option 3: sell it

good:
asking price 0€ (shipping not included and preferebly eu only)

bad:
serious damage and usage
shipping is not free
hardware version 1.2a
usb hub adds extra

edit:
mainboard is modified from 1.2a to 1.2b. seems to work but no guarantees.
I would keep it for spare parts at least if you plan on using and playing with your phone for a bit longer. Or get a new screen if you need a second device (e. g. one for regular usage and one for developing). Spare parts might come in handy epsecially since it's cumbersome to get them shipped from Pine64. Just today I was happy to have a spare USB C board because I noticed my speaker stopped working due to a partly broken flex cable (it probably took some demage when I transferred it to a new screen). I managed to scrape of some plastic of the cable and resolder it, but it's dirty and it doesn't fit properly anymore, so I was glad to have a spare around to use.
Is it possible to buy just a parts from pinephone? I need Daughterboard (it costs 10 USD in shop, but shipping costs 30 ...).
(09-28-2021, 07:28 AM)fervi Wrote: Is it possible to buy just a parts from pinephone? I need Daughterboard (it costs 10 USD in shop, but shipping costs 30 ...).
probably no. you can send offers with pm though. my guess is, if price is too low then i don't want to slice it. at some point i just sell the whole phone (excluding usb docking dongle).

sending such a small item is a little headache, probably envelope but envelope cannot be ordinary paper envelope.

btw, i modified mainboard from 1.2a to 1.2b. i don't totally trust my soldering but it seems to work. (of course touchscreen does not and screen is heavily delaminated, screen still works).
(09-28-2021, 10:44 AM)zetabeta Wrote:
(09-28-2021, 07:28 AM)fervi Wrote: Is it possible to buy just a parts from pinephone? I need Daughterboard (it costs 10 USD in shop, but shipping costs 30 ...).
probably no. you can send offers with pm though. my guess is, if price is too low then i don't want to slice it. at some point i just sell the whole phone (excluding usb docking dongle).

sending such a small item is a little headache, probably envelope but envelope cannot be ordinary paper envelope.

btw, i modified mainboard from 1.2a to 1.2b. i don't totally trust my soldering but it seems to work. (of course touchscreen does not and screen is heavily delaminated, screen still works).

That's the problem, because I fully understand, but if I put a price on how much the part is worth it's more likely to be - Well probably not.

That's the problem, I have a 1.2b, and it's only the particular circuit board that's failing Tongue

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 5 307 03-06-2024, 06:37 PM
Last Post: aular
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 105,219 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: aular
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,533 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 465 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 1,947 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 385 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,484 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,613 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Pinephone not booting, always vibrating alexander12 7 4,677 11-22-2023, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Scary Guy
  Pinephone on Verizon chachi 3 995 10-09-2023, 11:26 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma