Hypothetical Pine Phone 2.0?
So let's say we go 3 years into the future and Phosh, and Plasma Mobile and super stable and have a nice, complete ecosystem, similar to iOS/Android. At this point the only thing holding back more people from getting a Pine Phone is that the hardware is old and slow. If this happened could we do a PinePhone 2.0 that is a more mid ranged phone (like $400) as apposed to the low end phone we have now? 

I understand why the PP is a low end phone, more people get a phone to report issues and bug and potentially develop for it. But it sure would be nice to have a device that is more capable at some point.
That would be quite a nice step..!

However, as the politics are playing out,
It appears in 3 years, $400. will not buy you a postage stamp...anywhere
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(09-17-2021, 03:14 PM)bcnaz Wrote: That would be quite a nice step..!

However,  as the politics are playing out,
It appears in 3 years,  $400.  will not buy you a postage stamp...anywhere
So in this scenario you're saying that the PP will cost well over $400 (since Pine64 just sells at cost)?
Sorry, I was just upset looking at just a small piece of todays news !

I do like my Pine phones a lot, I have 5 so far and I would definitely buy a new 'upgraded' version .... (if I can)

But, this is not a one country thing, the NWO is not just a 'tin foil head' idea anymore.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(09-17-2021, 03:03 PM)ragreenburg Wrote: So let's say we go 3 years into the future and Phosh, and Plasma Mobile and super stable and have a nice, complete ecosystem, similar to iOS/Android. At this point the only thing holding back more people from getting a Pine Phone is that the hardware is old and slow. If this happened could we do a PinePhone 2.0 that is a more mid ranged phone (like $400) as apposed to the low end phone we have now? 

I understand why the PP is a low end phone, more people get a phone to report issues and bug and potentially develop for it. But it sure would be nice to have a device that is more capable at some point.

Would we need a 2.0? I would hope we could just upgrade hardware as pieces or upgrades. For example, I would like a better piece of glass. Otherwise the phone is great. If they upgrade the chipset, hopfully it would fit the form factor and I could just buy a new board etc. 

I just know what new feature would require an actual upgrade to the whole phone. Maybe I am underestimating the changes needed to upgrade an individual part.
(09-17-2021, 04:06 PM)bcnaz Wrote: Sorry,  I was just upset looking at just a small piece of todays news !

I do like my Pine phones a lot,  I have 5 so far and I would definitely buy a new  'upgraded' version .... (if I can)

But,  this is not a one country thing,  the NWO is not just a 'tin foil head' idea anymore.

I like Pine phones a lot too, and love supporting Pine64, but out of genuine curiosity, what are you doing with 5 of them? I'm not being critical, that's kinda cool to have so many, just curious.
  • PinePhone BraveHeart, needs modem replaced, used for experimenting with new OS's.
  • PinePhone Manjaro Community v1.2b 2G/16Gb Daily Driver
  • Pinebook Pro Arch Linux, Daily Driver
I have a PinePhone already but would draw the line and not buy a $400 PinePhone 2.0.

It would likely be a repeat of the issues in 1.0 i.e. hardware bugs and software that is never "completed". The hardware bugs (like HDMI switching for convergence) are not likely to get any attention because that is what happened to PineBook Pro (quite a lot of hardware bugs are still an issue that get no attention). I think Pine64 will finish attention on PinePhone after the keyboard, fingerprint reader and wireless charger cases are being sold in the store and totally move on the next "big things" i.e. not phones.

Don't misunderstand me I think PinePhone is great I've enjoyed messing around with it and learning.

Let's just say I've wised up now.
(09-17-2021, 10:47 PM)d0n601 Wrote: I like Pine phones a lot too, and love supporting Pine64, but out of genuine curiosity, what are you doing with 5 of them? I'm not being critical, that's kinda cool to have so many, just curious.

...  The Brave Heart is currently sitting, I have a new convergence main board and new screen for it,   I just have not done the swap  ..  yet.

My youngest son is using one of the PMOS convergent phones, one PMOS is my daily driver, one PMOS is my "try everything" phone,

and a Manjaro convergent for the cutting edge Mobian Nightly.

Big Grin
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(09-17-2021, 05:39 PM)luney Wrote:
(09-17-2021, 03:03 PM)ragreenburg Wrote: So let's say we go 3 years into the future and Phosh, and Plasma Mobile and super stable and have a nice, complete ecosystem, similar to iOS/Android. At this point the only thing holding back more people from getting a Pine Phone is that the hardware is old and slow. If this happened could we do a PinePhone 2.0 that is a more mid ranged phone (like $400) as apposed to the low end phone we have now? 

Would we need a 2.0? I would hope we could just upgrade hardware as pieces or upgrades. For example, I would like a better piece of glass. Otherwise the phone is great. If they upgrade the chipset, hopfully it would fit the form factor and I could just buy a new board etc. 

I just know what new feature would require an actual upgrade to the whole phone. Maybe I am underestimating the changes needed to upgrade an individual part.

I think that upgrade hardware piecemeal would be pretty annoying and could lead to users breaking their phones. As of right now the phone is pretty slow and a bit outdated so I think in the future getting a better spec one as an option would be a great idea because it gives people the option to upgrade without the risk of doing it yourself. They could also just do both, keep the same frame and whatnot and allow users to buy new chipsets and whatnot but also have a much more upgraded phone.

(09-18-2021, 12:57 AM)lot378 Wrote: I have a PinePhone already but would draw the line and not buy a $400 PinePhone 2.0.

It would likely be a repeat of the issues in 1.0 i.e. hardware bugs and software that is never "completed". The hardware bugs (like HDMI switching for convergence) are not likely to get any attention because that is what happened to PineBook Pro (quite a lot of hardware bugs are still an issue that get no attention). I think Pine64 will finish attention on PinePhone after the keyboard, fingerprint reader and wireless charger cases are being sold in the store and totally move on the next "big things" i.e. not phones.

Don't misunderstand me I think PinePhone is great I've enjoyed messing around with it and learning.

Let's just say I've wised up now.

In this hypothetical though, the software is "complete" or at the lease user ready. So anyone and their grandma could switch to Phosh/Plasma Mobile and the only thing holding them back would be a severely outdated phone. I do feel like there would be hardware bugs but also, they could do revisions just like they have with the pinephone to hopefully fix those bugs.

(09-17-2021, 04:06 PM)bcnaz Wrote: Sorry,  I was just upset looking at just a small piece of todays news !

I do like my Pine phones a lot,  I have 5 so far and I would definitely buy a new  'upgraded' version .... (if I can)

But,  this is not a one country thing,  the NWO is not just a 'tin foil head' idea anymore.

All's well. I honestly have no clue what news you are talking about. Though also, this probably isn't the place to discuss it.
I have little need for newer or faster hardware, I can browse the web, run terminal commands, SSH, watch videos, listen to music, take pictures and more. That being said I would be open to getting a PinePhone 2 only if it were as or more open and free than the current PinePhone. I'd rather have an older/slower device that lets me do what I want to do without spying on me than a newer/faster phone that does that opposite, that's why I bought the PinePhone in the first place. I know little of available options for newer hardware components so I may be grossly ignorant on relating "newer" to being synonymous with "more locked down, less freedom".

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking for the "non-phone" OS wakyct 7 932 03-14-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  Writing apps/programs for pine phone katesfb 7 4,743 03-11-2024, 10:42 PM
Last Post: Emelia525
  How To Access the Pine Phone Auxillary microSD Without Removing Card pinephoneuser22 2 791 01-09-2024, 07:02 PM
Last Post: britelite
  Pine company idea aular 9 1,613 12-07-2023, 12:32 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Can the Pine Phone be serviced and updated remotely? profileyourcity 3 989 10-02-2023, 05:19 PM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  UBports on pine phone? robb777 16 3,417 09-01-2023, 04:26 AM
Last Post: gregb49
  US Cell Phone Service Providers with prices and phone numbers - UPDATED jovval 0 680 07-01-2023, 01:25 AM
Last Post: jovval
  Loving my pine phone after about a year of not undata 0 655 05-11-2023, 02:23 PM
Last Post: undata
  New Phone Opening Issues LuluFrance 5 2,025 03-15-2023, 05:33 AM
Last Post: anonymous
  pine phone external speaker AnAbolitionist 9 3,203 02-08-2023, 01:11 AM
Last Post: robb777