Austrialians now have a better reason to use PinePhone
Oooops...it won't work on Linux!

Quote:...the government of South Australia, one of the country’s six states, developed and is now testing an app as Orwellian as any in the free world to enforce its quarantine rules. Returning travelers quarantining at home will be forced to download an app that combines facial recognition and geolocation. The state will text them at random times, and thereafter they will have 15 minutes to take a picture of their face in the location where they are supposed to be. Should they fail, the local police department will be sent to follow up in person. “We don’t tell them how often or when, on a random basis they have to reply within 15 minutes,” Premier Steven Marshall explained. “I think every South Australian should feel pretty proud that we are the national pilot for the home-based quarantine app.”

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archiv...cy/619940/
It is happening everywhere, but no one believes it until AFTER it happens at their house.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
Yikes. I peacefully encourage everyone to simply not do it. You outnumber the police, they can't possibly visit everyone in person in a useful way.
:wq

[ SRA accepts you ]
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre...f-wokeness
"seriously it's a good idea" "genuine measure for public safety" ?? I guess, when they tell us "We're all in on this together" they're not kidding. Nothing like a real conspiracy to make conspiracy theories look bad.

[ SRA accepts you ]
The "app doesn't work on a PinePhone" likely will not be a good enough excuse to prevent the police arriving or avoiding further hassle i.e. fines, further consequences. I think what is is really about is ensuring people don't be selfish retards and try to skip isolation or quarantine measures that are imposed to prevent transmission of a deadly serious disease CV19+. The alternative might be an enforced stay in a CV19+ "isolation hotel" with all costs due to be paid by the isolation subject (think many thousand $s).
i smell too much politics here. coronavirus is more of a collective problem rather than individual one. has australian goverment gone too far, maybe it has or not. however, australian government still has right to enforce its restrictions though. however, this is great excuse for totalitarian regimes, so i hope governments around the world would think before do anything too strict.

i actually have big issue with australian testing app. if it relies on closed platform like google play and apple store, then i would think it's plain wrong. those platforms are closed and giving possible private data access to these user hostile corporations is just unnacceptable. if in theory australia develops a system which doesn't rely on android or ios and it's open source. practically it has to be separate device with own o.s. and only temporary measure for coronavirus, then i would think it's acceptable.
(09-18-2021, 11:34 AM)KC9UDX Wrote: "seriously it's a good idea" "genuine measure for public safety" ?? I guess, when they tell us "We're all in on this together" they're not kidding. Nothing like a real conspiracy to make conspiracy theories look bad.

We need to come with some new conspiracy theories. Too many of the old ones are turning into everyday fact.
(09-18-2021, 06:44 PM)Zebulon Walton Wrote:
(09-18-2021, 11:34 AM)KC9UDX Wrote: "seriously it's a good idea" "genuine measure for public safety" ??  I guess, when they tell us "We're all in on this together" they're not kidding.  Nothing like a real conspiracy to make conspiracy theories look bad.

We need to come with some new conspiracy theories. Too many of the old ones are turning into everyday fact.

Because nowadays, "conspiracy theory" is just another way of saying "spoiler alert" or "leaked the official announcement a few days early".

Also, what Austalians should do is just massively refuse to use this app.
Compliance is what makes them go further.
And if they all get a PinePhone, there's nothing stopping the government from going door to door and just stealing your device and handing you a rental iPhone which you automatically pay for through your bank account every month.

And before you say "that would go too far, no way they can do that".
Just as a reminder, last month everyone in Australia said the exact same thing about concentration camps, and look what Australia got now...
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry
Exactly. Peaceful, but stubborn as a rock, resistance is the best solution to these problems. Let them be the agressors. Don't back down and don't give in, for anything. The more you give, the more they take.

[ SRA accepts you ]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PinePhone - boot from microSD laserpyramid 5 307 03-06-2024, 06:37 PM
Last Post: aular
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 157 105,206 02-18-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: aular
  2020 PinePhone Manjaro CE EU for sale, name your price astrojuanlu 7 1,528 02-14-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: astrojuanlu
  pinephone is not bootble for the box. ijij 1 464 01-19-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: fxc
  Multiple issues with the Pinephone MTXP 12 1,946 12-28-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: MTXP
  pinephone repair shop shengchieh 0 385 12-26-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: shengchieh
  sudo nano file saving pinephone beta edition CharlesGnarley 4 1,483 12-22-2023, 03:44 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Can't get Mobian on PinePhone to recognise USB-C docking bar duncan_bayne 9 6,611 12-04-2023, 02:14 AM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  Pinephone not booting, always vibrating alexander12 7 4,676 11-22-2023, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Scary Guy
  Pinephone on Verizon chachi 3 995 10-09-2023, 11:26 AM
Last Post: alaraajavamma