Pinebook Pro with PrimeOS
Hi,

I am Chitranshu, co-founder of www.primeos.in, Primeos is an Android-based operating system used by more than 2M users globally. We wish to launch an Android laptop in India with the help of brand partners. For this to happen we need a sample (even used) Pinebook pro and open-source Android build of Pinebook. We will do the rest to build the Android laptop. Currently, PrimeOS is on Android 7 and we are porting it to Android 11 by December end.
i believe that the original pbp android 9 source came from here: https://github.com/rockchip-android
I believe that the RK3399 is a somewhat dated SOC  for a new Android laptop. Nothing wrong with it other than being power hungry. I have been reading about  the Jio Book which is supposed to be based on Snapdragon.
having used the previous android 9 img for the pbp, i have to say it actually ran pretty well. I was even able to use it for Zoom meetings without any issue. only problems i had with it was that the img was so locked down you couldn't even install microg
(09-15-2021, 02:23 PM)tophneal Wrote: having used the previous android 9 img for the pbp, i have to say it actually ran pretty well. I was even able to use it for Zoom meetings without any issue. only problems i had with it was that the img was so locked down you couldn't even install microg

So why hasn't this Pie-rom been released or even announced (besides the promises from Pine team that PBP would be able to run 9.0)? I mean, even as a (pre-)alpha or beta. Anything is better than the dated 7 image now that Nougat is 'officially' not compatible with a shit ton of pages (has to do with one or multiple CA-certificates which are either expired or not trusted anymore for one reason or another)
(09-17-2021, 08:04 AM)QuinTeknoLife Wrote:
(09-15-2021, 02:23 PM)tophneal Wrote: having used the previous android 9 img for the pbp, i have to say it actually ran pretty well. I was even able to use it for Zoom meetings without any issue. only problems i had with it was that the img was so locked down you couldn't even install microg

So why hasn't this Pie-rom been released or even announced (besides the promises from Pine team that PBP would be able to run 9.0)? I mean, even as a (pre-)alpha or beta. Anything is better than the dated 7 image now that Nougat is 'officially' not compatible with a shit ton of pages (has to do with one or multiple CA-certificates which are either expired or not trusted anymore for one reason or another)

this is actually my mistake haha i incorrectly recalled the initial nougat img as pie. this was incorrect, the image was nougat, not pie.

it is certainly capable of running pie, as there's a lot of rk3399 pie roms out there, but my guess is the pbp doesn't have one bc rockchip never followed up with their announcement for pie. their rk3399 android repo is still on nougat
(09-17-2021, 09:13 AM)tophneal Wrote:

this is actually my mistake haha i incorrectly recalled the initial nougat img as pie. this was incorrect, the image was nougat, not pie.

it is certainly capable of running pie, as there's a lot of rk3399 pie roms out there, but my guess is the pbp doesn't have one bc rockchip never followed up with their announcement for pie. their rk3399 android repo is still on nougat

Yeah I've browsed through that repo, as well as a couple of AOSP 10.0 repos for one of them rk3399 set-top boxes (pretty much all forked from rockchip or based off that code. Firefly? Firebird? Idk, that device has an actual custom rom scene albeit tiny Tongue), but that was kinda overwhelming when just diving into the code and back-tracking the commits to see what was added and changed.

However I still am pretty convinced that with the right set of files added (overlays, device tree blobs/.dtb ?) and 
the right code tweaked or added, it should be doable to build an image Tongue
(09-17-2021, 11:03 AM)QuinTeknoLife Wrote:
(09-17-2021, 09:13 AM)tophneal Wrote:

Yeah I've browsed through that repo, as well as a couple of AOSP 10.0 repos for one of them rk3399 set-top boxes (pretty much all forked from rockchip or based off that code. Firefly? Firebird? Idk, that device has an actual custom rom scene albeit tiny Tongue), but that was kinda overwhelming when just diving into the code and back-tracking the commits to see what was added and changed.

However I still am pretty convinced that with the right set of files added (overlays, device tree blobs/.dtb ?) and 
the right code tweaked or added, it should be doable to build an image Tongue

i wouldnt be surprised if that could be done with glodroid, too
Android doesn't get much love from Pine64 or the developers here -Sad. Most seem to be focused on getting GNU/Linux running on the various ARM devices.
(09-15-2021, 04:47 AM)chitranshu_primeos Wrote: Hi,

I am Chitranshu, co-founder of www.primeos.in, Primeos is an Android-based operating system used by more than 2M users globally. We wish to launch an Android laptop in India with the help of brand partners. For this to happen we need a sample (even used) Pinebook pro and open-source Android build of Pinebook. We will do the rest to build the Android laptop. Currently, PrimeOS is on Android 7 and we are porting it to Android 11 by December end.

hi,
i like to use/test yours on pineBook .., how can we? is there a dev/beta test group?
Thanks.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  /e/ on Pinebook and Pinebook pro Rik 1 4,601 07-07-2020, 06:44 AM
Last Post: tophneal
  Bliss OS on Pinebook Pro jaysistar 5 9,876 05-12-2020, 11:14 PM
Last Post: clover