Why do you use mobian?
Hi there, I just recently got a pinephone again I bought one a long time ago sold it because it was in a too early development. I got one again two days ago it shipped with manjaro plasma and I was kinda shocked at how much better the development has improved. Then I started looking at other operating systems but I noticed most of them haven't really changed much.

For instance in mobian phosh the settings is not sized properly, I haven't used it much but I thought that was interesting. Also mobian phosh seems alot slower than manjaro phosh. I'm wondering what brings people back to mobian, i'm trying to find a operating system to settle on. I was using sxmo the last two days because it is so snappy. But i'm just curious why so many people enjoy mobian, I'm sure there are reasons I can't see and will help me avoid further pitfalls in trying some other operating system then ultimately coming here hah

Cheers  Angel
For me it's mainly because I've been using Debian and Debian-based Linux systems for quite a few years, to the point where I don't have to think much about how to work with them. I'm getting lazy in my old age and don't feel like learning a new system if I don't have to. Currently Mobian works well for what I need (really just making and receiving calls).
Because despite the Japanese locale being fully available in Phosh, it only seems to be included in Mobian.
Both Arch and Manjaro exclude it from Phosh, even though Manjaro includes it in Plamo (even though Plamo itself is still almost entirely hardcoded to English).
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry
(09-12-2021, 06:58 PM)unrealb2 Wrote: Hi there, I just recently got a pinephone again I bought one a long time ago sold it because it was in a too early development. I got one again two days ago it shipped with manjaro plasma and I was kinda shocked at how much better the development has improved. Then I started looking at other operating systems but I noticed most of them haven't really changed much.

For instance in mobian phosh the settings is not sized properly, I haven't used it much but I thought that was interesting. Also mobian phosh seems alot slower than manjaro phosh. I'm wondering what brings people back to mobian, i'm trying to find a operating system to settle on. I was using sxmo the last two days because it is so snappy. But i'm just curious why so many people enjoy mobian, I'm sure there are reasons I can't see and will help me avoid further pitfalls in trying some other operating system then ultimately coming here hah

Cheers  Angel

For me,

1) It just feels "comfortable" to me.

2) It has been the most dependable of OSes that I have used/tested since my Brave Heart days.

3) it has occasional faults, but they seem to fix those quite quickly.

I do still check on the other distro's as I do have multiple Pine phones to play with.
  But the main phone I talk and text with my family on everyday is Phosh/Mobian.

I do try to keep my comments on an impartial tone as a Linux user,  some things are just personal preference.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
Same as Zeb, plus when I tried the Manjaro Plasma that came installed, every update broke the distro. I decided I didn't like pacman, and as always, apt just works.
Pinephone beta edition, convergence model, Mobian Bookworm with Phosh.
When I got my Pinephone in March, Mobian seemed to be the most usable system.

Since then it has improved continuously. It hardly crashes anymore and has everything I need:

Phone, SMS, email, Firefox, Contacts, Telegram, Text Editor, music player and (until recently and hopefully again soon) Signal (Axolotl) work fine; bluetooth support for keyboard and headphones has become very good, Calendar (too small) and the Gpodder podcast player (too small) can be used; maps and camera are sort of usable (if there is no alternative).

In short: With Mobian, I can use the Pinephone as a daily driver. That was not the case with Manjaro Plasma the last time I checked it.
If you look at the rules for contributions you will see that Mobian is an in-house fork of Debian.  Debian is conservative and disciplined, it has tight rules and expectations for it's devs and maintainers. 
I am of the opinion that while the attention to detail and basic function could slow down development it actually avoids the low quality hacker scripts that I have used in the past to make something work but doesn't scale or survive an upgrade.  Those bad upgrade or compatibility hacks might get you a short lead but really make the whole project bog down.
It comes down to effective leadership and critical mass of team members, Mobian has both.
(09-13-2021, 07:17 AM)Anna Wrote: When I got my Pinephone in March, Mobian seemed to be the most complete system.

Since then it has improved continuously. It hardly crashes anymore and has everything I need:

Phone, SMS, email, firefox, contacts, telegram, text editor, music, player and (until recently and hopefully again soon) Signal (Axolotl) work fine; bluetooth support for keyboard and headphones has become very good, calendar (too small) and podcast player (too small) can be used; maps and camera are sort of usable (if there is no alternative).

In short: With Mobian, I can use the Pinephone as a daily driver. That was not the case with Manjaro Plasma the last time I checked it.

I am in the same boat. I think Plasma Mobile looks heaps better than Phosh but over the past week I have tried booting into the most recent Plasma Mobile (Manjaro Beta 7) and in each boot (3-4) it would either crash or become unresponsive within 20 minutes. If Plasma Mobile was as stable as Phosh than I would use it instead because it does have a lot of nice things that Phosh doesn't but stability is key when looking at a daily driver. Same reason I don't use UT anymore.
Same reasons. To add to this, after years of using debian, even when I was a beginner playing and messing with its components, I never have been able to really break any debian box. Even the unstable branch is super solid. So it is a good bet for any derivative alpha OS.
Generally speaking, debian is much older than manjaroo, so the user base is much bigger. So more people feeling at home with mobian.
It is boring. My live is exciting enough without my phone constantly freaking me out.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  bookworm vs trixie discussion for mobian in pinephone regular. zetabeta 15 1,514 03-25-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: anonymous
  cant verify mobian image at website gnugpg penguins_rule 0 70 03-18-2024, 08:54 PM
Last Post: penguins_rule
  mobian installed to eMMC - how to install tow-boot grump_fiddle_reinstall 6 1,712 11-22-2023, 11:46 AM
Last Post: aLoop100o
  What actions needed to keep on mobian testing user641 3 1,687 09-05-2023, 06:44 AM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  Mobian boot failed with zstd message after upgrade. Mahgue 0 581 09-01-2023, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Mahgue
  how to update mobian over tor vusra 13 6,540 07-09-2023, 08:57 PM
Last Post: vusra
  opensnitch outbound firewall now works on mobian vusra 2 1,798 07-09-2023, 01:37 AM
  Using Nativefier on PP64 with Mobian paulcarton 0 577 07-05-2023, 03:57 AM
Last Post: paulcarton
  Has anyone got briar-desktop running on mobian? vusra 5 2,863 06-19-2023, 03:02 PM
  Axolotl on PinePhone / Mobian arno_nuehm 219 160,330 03-26-2023, 01:49 AM
Last Post: shulamy