Why do you use mobian?
Three reasons:
1. It's based on Debian GNU/Linux, which I like as a project/community.
2. It's based on Debian GNU/Linux, and I already only use Debian (and Ubuntu) based Systems (and I like apt) - I'm not familiar with Manjaro/Arch, Alpine Linux or others...
3. It had the reputation as "most stable" PinePhone distro when I had to choose one, and on a daily driver: stability > performance
...and - AFAIK! - it still is the most stable option.

I bought a postmarketOS-PinePhone at time and played a bit with the Alpine-based pmOS, but I switched to Mobian after Mobian added Full Disk Enrcyption*. Mobian turned my PP from a nice toy to a usable smartphone. Smile

(*Which was adopted from pmOS of course, so kudos to Mobian AND postmarketOS developers! Smile )
I run Ubuntu on my laptop, this is the most similar operating system for mobile, it's historically been the more functional choice (it was one of the first operating systems to get a functioning camera app) along with allowing for alot of control
I has the biggest community and my experience after using manjaro and arch on the phone is that mobbian is very stable and works better for my use. And being based on debian I believe there's more care about segurity and privacy.
(09-14-2021, 02:13 PM)dante404 Wrote: Three reasons:
2. It's based on Debian GNU/Linux, and I already only use Debian (and Ubuntu) based Systems (and I like apt) - I'm not familiar with Manjaro/Arch, Alpine Linux or others...
3. It had the reputation as "most stable" PinePhone distro when I had to choose one, and on a daily driver: stability > performance
Forgot 2 points  Blush :
4. Mobian has Full Disk Encryption (some others like ubuntu touch/ubports don't).
5. Mobian development is currently really focused on PinePhone (ubports, pmOS, Plasma Mobile for example don't). This is connected to point 3. I guess.
(09-15-2021, 01:58 PM)dante404 Wrote:
(09-14-2021, 02:13 PM)dante404 Wrote: Three reasons:
Forgot 2 points  Blush :
4. Mobian has Full Disk Encryption (some others like ubuntu touch/ubports don't).
5. Mobian development is currently really focused on PinePhone (ubports, pmOS, Plasma Mobile for example don't). This is connected to point 3. I guess.

Plamo is focusing on the PinePhone, hence their partnership with PINE64.
However, as with everything with KDE, they tend to release completely broken proof of concept software to the public first, and then take many years to slowly turn it into software competing with huge closed source commercial software.

Remember Plamo half a decade ago?
Well I do, it was literally a very slow brick with an app drawer.
Right now it only needs a little bit more before it gets on par with Android.

Kdenlive is the same thing; it used to be even lower tech than Windows Movie Maker, but now it's like using an open source version of Premiere Pro for free.
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry
(09-15-2021, 04:30 PM)ryo Wrote: Plamo is focusing on the PinePhone, hence their partnership with PINE64.

A partnership doesn't mean that much afterwards, just look at ubports (and the first CE)...
BUT I guess you're right about Plamo, just checked and I have to admit even their download/install site is promoting PinePhone MUCH more than last year (when I got my pmOS PinePhone).
(I'm not a KDE hater btw, I use KDE Plasma (and also Kdenlive) on the desktop for years now. I like the eye candy and especially the massive customisation options of KDE.)
Using encrypted Mobian (bookworm) on pmOS CE Convergence PinePhone (3GB/32GB) as Daily Driver, and Beta Edition Convergence PinePhone (3GB/32GB) with encrypted Mobian (bookworm) as Backup device.
I don't view open-source as a versus issue, rather a matter of preference for a tool. The right tool for one user will not necessarily be a good tool for the next user.

A user cannot know everything so we have to trust other's decisions and the Debian team is thorough, with that attitude trickling down through forked projects. There is a culture of "the next new thing" that remains pervasive in technology, however some things need to just work more than they need to be cutting edge. It is a matter of personal preference as to what is what, but I want my phone's OS to just work. I want the basic functionality to just work. Yet for software and features sometimes cutting edge is good like a media player having ever increasing functionality or a productivity suite keeping pace with current trends.
Quartz64, RockPro64, PinePhone Mobian, PineBook Pro, PineTime, and all the trimmings that make FOSS fun.
Like Zeb (and others) I have been using Debian already for a while.

But why do I use Debian? Besides their famous stability (and huge user base), I agree with their politics.

I think they strike the perfect balance, of not preventing you from doing anything, while still making clear who the guilty parties are. For example, many of the "most free" distros (on FSF approved list for example) completely eschew any sort of proprietary software whatsoever. And so you are out of luck with your Wi-Fi drivers for instance. And then on the other extreme, Ubuntu (and others) just include them, which I think is not a good idea either, as you are missing an opportunity to highlight the problem (even if it is a slight user inconvenience).

Debian allows these sort of things in the "non-free" and "contrib" repos, you simply have to edit a text file to enable them. So they accomplish their charter of promoting Free Software, while not really preventing you from using some perhaps proprietary software in the meantime if you really must. Which is why I say they strike "the right balance" IMO.
Cheers,
TRS-80

What is Free Software and why is it so important for society?

Protocols, not Platforms

For the most Linux-y experience on your Linux phone, try SXMO!

I am (nominally) the Armbian Maintainer for PineBook Pro (although severely lacking in time these days).

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  bookworm vs trixie discussion for mobian in pinephone regular. zetabeta 15 1,514 03-25-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: anonymous
  cant verify mobian image at website gnugpg penguins_rule 0 70 03-18-2024, 08:54 PM
Last Post: penguins_rule
  mobian installed to eMMC - how to install tow-boot grump_fiddle_reinstall 6 1,714 11-22-2023, 11:46 AM
Last Post: aLoop100o
  What actions needed to keep on mobian testing user641 3 1,688 09-05-2023, 06:44 AM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  Mobian boot failed with zstd message after upgrade. Mahgue 0 581 09-01-2023, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Mahgue
  how to update mobian over tor vusra 13 6,540 07-09-2023, 08:57 PM
Last Post: vusra
  opensnitch outbound firewall now works on mobian vusra 2 1,799 07-09-2023, 01:37 AM
  Using Nativefier on PP64 with Mobian paulcarton 0 577 07-05-2023, 03:57 AM
Last Post: paulcarton
  Has anyone got briar-desktop running on mobian? vusra 5 2,863 06-19-2023, 03:02 PM
  Axolotl on PinePhone / Mobian arno_nuehm 219 160,373 03-26-2023, 01:49 AM
Last Post: shulamy