Pinephone keyboard layout / stickers
Hello,

Is the upcoming pinephone keyboard planned with different layouts ? I can speculate on that, as the pinebook has only been released with qwerty layouts (the subtle ANSI vs ISO difference wasn't really interesting to me).

I understand it would be complex to produce many different layouts. At minimum, are keyboard stickers (eg. azerty...) been planned ? It would be likely impossible to find any commercially available sticker that would fit the small buttons of the keyboard.

Thank you for the feedback !
From memory:

The key caps are easy to switch around. So if you just want azerty or qwertz instead of qwerty, that's pretty easy. I remember some talk about sticker sets, but I'm not sure if there was a final statement about that.
The difference between layouts isn't about exchanging keys only. Eg. the symbols associated to numbers are not the same, so it will not do the trick. I would love to have clean stickers showing all of them, but also including all the Fn shortcuts specific to the pinephone keyboard.
Edit: realizing this is the PinePhone section (because the posts so far seem to be focussed more on the PineBook somehow), I don't think anyone should worry about the different layouts on the PinePhone keyboard.
We're used to having to deal with different layouts on phones, and this post should only be considered a reference.

That's the problem with especially Japanese keyboards, it's just too different from a US QWERTY keyboard.
To give one example:
[Image: iIdjCdp.jpg]

For context:
・カタカナ/ひらがな/ローマ字 (katakana/hiragana/latin alphabet key) enables/disables IME mode (same as CTRL + space).
・変換 (convert key) swaps between different kanji versions of the word you just typed in (same as tapping space after typing).
・無変換 (unconvert key) changes modes between hiragana/kanji, katakana-only, and katakana half-width only input if IME is enabled and not yet typing, converts to these in the same order mid-typing, and does nothing if IME is disabled.
・英数 (alphanumeric key) switches between Japanese and English inputs without disabling IME, does nothing if IME is disabled. So if you need to enable caps lock, you'll need to hold shift while pressing this key.
・半角/全角/漢字 (full width/half width/Chinese character key) key is the same as the カタカナ/ひらがな/ローマ字 key.

These are all based on Fcitx + mozc, they will differ if you're using a different OS or IME.
For example, on Windows the カタカナ/ひらがな/ローマ字 key only enables IME, but won't disable.
To disable IME input, you'll need to press the 英数 key.

Other differences are the notably smaller space key (to sacrifice for the extra keys that don't exist on other keyboards), there are 4 keys between M and Shift instead of 3, and 3 keys instead of 2 between 0 and Backspace.
Don't worry about the placement of symbols, software keyboard layouts can handle them already.
And don't worry about the Japanese characters, nobody is typing that way nowadays anyway.
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry
(09-15-2021, 05:12 PM)ryo Wrote: Edit: realizing this is the PinePhone section (because the posts so far seem to be focussed more on the PineBook somehow)

So far only OP and I have posted in this thread. I'm sure OP knows in which section they're posting. That leaves me and I can assure you I was talking about the PinePhone and not the PineBook.
(09-16-2021, 03:16 AM)CharlieGordon Wrote: I'm sure OP knows in which section they're posting

Yup, I was talking about the Pinephone keyboard indeed.

(09-15-2021, 05:12 PM)ryo Wrote: I don't think anyone should worry about the different layouts on the PinePhone keyboard.
We're used to having to deal with different layouts on phones, and this post should only be considered a reference.

That is your personal opinion. I assure you I worry about the layout of this accessory before considering buying any Smile. After all, its primary role is to ease the typing, so better have one that fits typing habits.
(09-16-2021, 03:16 AM)CharlieGordon Wrote: So far only OP and I have posted in this thread. I'm sure OP knows in which section they're posting. That leaves me and I can assure you I was talking about the PinePhone and not the PineBook.

I didn't say anywhere that you guys were accidentally posting in the PineBook section, but rather that I was.

(09-16-2021, 11:38 AM)mob Wrote: That is your personal opinion. I assure you I worry about the layout of this accessory before considering buying any Smile. After all, its primary role is to ease the typing, so better have one that fits typing habits.

That sounds like it's time for both genders to grow their nails and make the pointy.
If that means we'll need to make a carbon copy of a regular keyboard and make it smaller to fit the size of the phone itself that is.
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  keyboard case charging but not typing new2pinephone 18 5,209 02-19-2024, 07:30 AM
Last Post: theResonant
  Keyboard doesn't charge my phone no matter what, so can I charge my phone directly ragreenburg 3 5,501 01-14-2024, 03:34 PM
Last Post: acid andy
  PinePhone Dock with laptop? Mikey1977Y2J 2 520 12-12-2023, 05:43 PM
Last Post: Mikey1977Y2J
  I've added an I2C connector to the PP keyboard eugenr 0 359 11-26-2023, 07:24 AM
Last Post: eugenr
  Case for Pinephone totilele 12 6,517 11-04-2023, 09:43 AM
Last Post: Negome
  Update the PinePhone keyboard driver to support missing characters? Peter Gamma 8 7,902 10-22-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: Peter Gamma
  key repeat with pinephone keyboard rotwang 0 392 10-22-2023, 03:39 PM
Last Post: rotwang
Exclamation USB mouse isn't working when a PP keyboard is attached? mikeb 3 1,111 10-21-2023, 08:21 PM
  Pinephone with mini keyboard, trackpad and large power bank? Peter Gamma 0 447 10-21-2023, 07:50 AM
  Which mini keyboard and mouse to choose for the PP? Peter Gamma 0 562 10-21-2023, 02:55 AM