*urgent help*calls and gnome-conatcs gone after update
I'm usually doing updates from ssh so I can clearly see what happens. I noticed 2 packets were held back (gnome-maps and common-folks). When I wanted to force install them, apt told me it would uninstall A LOT of important packets so I skipped it.
Not sure how or why you had it bypassed by using the GUI. I mean, it should be safer from GUI...
(09-13-2021, 04:35 AM)goku499 Wrote: I'm usually doing updates from ssh so I can clearly see what happens. I noticed 2 packets were held back (gnome-maps and common-folks). When I wanted to force install them, apt told me it would uninstall A LOT of important packets so I skipped it.
Not sure how or why you had it bypassed by using the GUI. I mean, it should be safer from GUI...

In this instance, it would not 'just update' ... but showing "missing dependencies". 

I found the missing chats, calls, contacts Apps  in 'the Software Store' and simply installed them from there.

I did not see any mention of 'Maps' in the missing dependencies...

This description is for my 'updating' my daily driver phone.

My experience was slightly different with installing the fresh image on one of my test phones, but similar.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(09-13-2021, 05:25 AM)bcnaz Wrote:
(09-13-2021, 04:35 AM)goku499 Wrote: I'm usually doing updates from ssh so I can clearly see what happens. I noticed 2 packets were held back (gnome-maps and common-folks). When I wanted to force install them, apt told me it would uninstall A LOT of important packets so I skipped it.

In this instance, it would not 'just update' ... but showing "missing dependencies". 

I found the missing chats, calls, contacts Apps  in 'the Software Store' and simply installed them from there.

My experience was slightly different with installing the fresh image on one of my test phones, but similar.

The main issue here is that it shouldn't break the system from doing updates from the GUI.
(09-13-2021, 06:28 AM)goku499 Wrote:
(09-13-2021, 05:25 AM)bcnaz Wrote:

The main issue here is that it shouldn't break the system from doing updates from the GUI.

Yes exactly, I was frustrated about that, but overall I am very thankfull for the great work of developers and contributors so far, it's amazing how good it is already!
Actually I am Very Impressed,

Mobian is quite Intuitive,

I was able to use just GUI methods to make the repairs myself in just a few moments...
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(09-12-2021, 08:35 AM)chris_02 Wrote:
(09-11-2021, 05:17 PM)bcnaz Wrote: IF you have a 'working' phone with mobian installed,  TURN OFF updates until this is resolved !!!

a wise proposal

Since switching Mobian stable to Bookworm unstable, I've been keeping known good image backups on my 128 GB SD card. (I boot Mobian Bookworm from eMMC). I have Megi's multiboot installed on the SD card so it's easy to boot to Mobian (or other OS) on the multiboot and use dd to archive an image on the SD card. I think I'm going to restore a backup image and take a holiday from updates too. Bookworm worked great when I first switched to the new unstable branch but it is becoming rather buggy.
(09-13-2021, 11:21 PM)calinb Wrote:
(09-11-2021, 05:17 PM)bcnaz Wrote: IF you have a 'working' phone with mobian installed,  TURN OFF updates until this is resolved !!!

a wise proposal

Since switching Mobian stable to Bookworm unstable, I've been keeping known good image backups on my 128 GB SD card. (I boot Mobian Bookworm from eMMC). I have Megi's multiboot installed on the SD card so it's easy to boot to Mobian (or other OS) on the multiboot and use dd to archive an image on the SD card. I think I'm going to restore a backup image and take a holiday from updates too. Bookworm worked great when I first switched to the new unstable branch but it is becoming rather buggy.
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I think you can perform updates normally, but only do apt update & apt upgrade and never apt full-upgrade (gnome software does that) that's why so many people got this problem. Updating from the terminal avoiding apt full-upgrade, will not cause those problems
(09-14-2021, 08:29 AM)user641 Wrote:

a wise proposal

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I think you can perform updates normally, but only do apt update & apt upgrade and never apt full-upgrade (gnome software does that) that's why so many people got this problem. Updating from the terminal avoiding apt full-upgrade, will not cause those problems

Yes. I appears that some of the problems reported here are due to lost packages. Excerpts from the Debian wiki (https://wiki.debian.org/DebianPackageMan...our_system )

Quote:You should upgrade you system everyday, this gives you security and bug fixes:

# apt upgrade

Sometimes it is helpful to use "full-upgrade". It performs the function of the upgrade but will remove currently installed packages if that is essential to upgrade the system as a whole. This command is usually issued while doing system upgrades.

# apt full-upgrade

Before upgrading your Debian system to the next release, drop into a "tty" console by pressing CTRL+ALT+F3/F4/F5 etc, as dpkg restarts some login managers that will forcefully log you out while upgrading, resulting in a broken/partial upgrade
...<snip>

Distribution Upgrade of all the files:

WARNING
Following the upgrade instructions found in the release notes is the best way to ensure that your system upgrades from one major Debian release to another (e.g. from jessie to stretch) without breakage!

These instructions will tell you to do a dist-upgrade (instead of upgrade) at least once. You would have to type something like

# apt-get dist-upgrade

at some point during the major release upgrade.

A dist-upgrade will also be required to keep up-to-date with the latest version in testing and unstable. A dist-upgrade may be very occasionally needed for you to obtain security upgrades in stable releases too in the case where packages change names. 

So "upgrade", "full-upgrade", "dist-upgrade"? Having never read Mobian release notes that provide guidance as advised in the Debian wiki, I'm not sure which method I should be using for stable, unstable, testing, etc. at various times.
(09-14-2021, 11:11 AM)calinb Wrote:
(09-14-2021, 08:29 AM)user641 Wrote:

a wise proposal

Yes. I appears that some of the problems reported here are due to lost packages. Excerpts from the Debian wiki (https://wiki.debian.org/DebianPackageMan...our_system )

Quote:You should upgrade you system everyday, this gives you security and bug fixes:

# apt upgrade

Sometimes it is helpful to use "full-upgrade". It performs the function of the upgrade but will remove currently installed packages if that is essential to upgrade the system as a whole. This command is usually issued while doing system upgrades.

# apt full-upgrade

Before upgrading your Debian system to the next release, drop into a "tty" console by pressing CTRL+ALT+F3/F4/F5 etc, as dpkg restarts some login managers that will forcefully log you out while upgrading, resulting in a broken/partial upgrade
...<snip>

Distribution Upgrade of all the files:

WARNING
Following the upgrade instructions found in the release notes is the best way to ensure that your system upgrades from one major Debian release to another (e.g. from jessie to stretch) without breakage!

These instructions will tell you to do a dist-upgrade (instead of upgrade) at least once. You would have to type something like

# apt-get dist-upgrade

at some point during the major release upgrade.

A dist-upgrade will also be required to keep up-to-date with the latest version in testing and unstable. A dist-upgrade may be very occasionally needed for you to obtain security upgrades in stable releases too in the case where packages change names. 

So "upgrade", "full-upgrade", "dist-upgrade"? Having never read Mobian release notes that provide guidance as advised in the Debian wiki, I'm not sure which method I should be using for stable, unstable, testing, etc. at various times.

As far as I know on testing and unstable better avoid full-upgrade that is the same as dist-upgrade...On bookworm that is testing only apt update and apt upgrade
There does not seem to be a huge difference that I can see between the bookworm updated, and a complete fresh nightly release.

The changes may become more obvious with time, but at the moment bookworm itself is still brand new.

I don't think there is anything at this time that is labeled : "Bookworm Stable"
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  gnome-control-center: segmentation fault on startup jojuma 4 942 09-12-2023, 08:49 AM
Last Post: jojuma
  how to update mobian over tor vusra 13 6,540 07-09-2023, 08:57 PM
Last Post: vusra
  Wifi doesn't work after update nickolas 2 1,138 04-14-2023, 10:07 AM
Last Post: nickolas
  PinePhone won't boot after software update jb2000 2 1,248 03-17-2023, 07:26 AM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
Exclamation Impossible to login since the latest update anonymous 12 3,907 02-26-2023, 01:01 PM
Last Post: anonymous
  No audio on calls after updating today Zebulon Walton 10 4,003 12-12-2022, 09:55 PM
Last Post: BaronAlbatross
Exclamation The latest update of eg25-manager seems to cause frequent disconnections anonymous 12 4,031 11-28-2022, 03:30 PM
Last Post: anonymous
  Dist-upgrade and Chatty vs Gnome-Contacts biketool 9 3,804 09-30-2022, 08:53 PM
Last Post: treebeard
  Wifi issue since last update and held back updates goku499 11 4,999 09-21-2022, 02:39 PM
Last Post: Katsujinken
  [SOLVED] Lost Internet connectivity after recent update drh 3 1,758 09-11-2022, 09:24 PM
Last Post: Katsujinken