Dodgy eMMC/image or issues with Plasma itself
I got my PinePhone a couple of weeks and struggled with the default Manjaro/Plasma combination for a while. It took three attempts to get the OS set up with the PinePhone freezing the first two times. I managed to get the OS updated. After it was set up the PinePhone would hang for short and longer periods, the UI would become unresponsive to swipes and taps and generally it felt like I was using an alpha product. I also experienced the dark screen after login issue which I was able to fix with information from the forum.

I am now running stock Mobian off an SD card and the difference is like light and day. Running from SD card Mobian is faster and much more usable. The UI is much more responsive. I would have assumed that the eMMC is faster than an SD card so was a bit surprised by this.

So, could it be that I have a problem with the OS image my PinePhone shipped with, or the eMMC or is my experience with Manjaro/Plasma about par for the (current) course?

I have to admit that the Manjaro repository having a build of SeaMonkey is almost enough to make me want to switch back even though "sudo apt-get" is ingrained in my finger memory Wink
Mobian has Phosh as its "desktop" environment/UI which is completely different from Plasma. The differences are almost certainly not related to your eMMC. Try a newer image of Manjaro Plasma, that probably works better. You can also use Manjaro Phosh if you want to use Phosh with Manjaro's repositories.
(09-09-2021, 03:23 AM)kqlnut Wrote: Mobian has Phosh as its "desktop" environment/UI which is completely different from Plasma. The differences are almost certainly not related to your eMMC. Try a newer image of Manjaro Plasma, that probably works better. You can also use Manjaro Phosh if you want to use Phosh with Manjaro's repositories.

Thanks for the reply. I was aware of the Manjaro/phosh combination which might be worth considering in the future. Ultimately it is down to which applications are available but also stability is important. I am also interested in experimenting with the XFCE desktop as I find mobile UI lacking generally in terms of usability. I guess I am really looking for a netbook that can make phonecalls.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  debugging issue realted to iso image wth extra data eror penguins_rule 1 108 03-21-2024, 07:30 PM
Last Post: penguins_rule
  what is wrong with KDE plasma beta15 RC4? Uturn 8 1,334 10-02-2023, 05:07 AM
Last Post: Uturn
  How to create folders and re-org my phone desktop? A better "Image Viewer" app? nbh 0 468 09-24-2023, 05:18 PM
Last Post: nbh
Exclamation My short experience with Manjaro Plasma Mobile anonymous 10 4,362 03-02-2023, 07:25 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Manjaro plasma-mobile Beta 13 Uturn 13 4,563 01-25-2023, 04:15 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Manjaro Plasma busted Chief 2 1,481 11-22-2022, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Chief
  alien desktop image Uturn 2 1,321 11-10-2022, 10:34 AM
Last Post: Uturn
  Disabling screen timeout for plasma mobile rp3 7 7,024 09-05-2022, 03:50 PM
Last Post: christev1
  VPN on Plasma Hobgoblin 1 1,218 08-29-2022, 03:14 AM
Last Post: saddamus
  manjaro-pinephone / plasma-mobile-dev: Update broken Uturn 32 28,581 07-28-2022, 12:40 PM
Last Post: johaennessen