after dist-upgrade, terminal is broken
Running Mobian Bookworm on a Beta edition PP. Yesterday I did sudo apt dist-upgrade, and this morning I notice that the terminal stopped working. I swiped up and tried to restart it, no go, it won't start. None of the programs will start!

Looks like I'll have to go back to an image I dd'd last week, and try again. 

Anybody else seeing this? I don't want to upgrade until this is behind us.
Pinephone beta edition, convergence model, Mobian Bookworm with Phosh.
Did you at least enabled SSH before breaking?
If so, are you able to log into your phone via SSH?
If so, try "journalctl -fe", then start any app that doesn't boot up, and look at what you see on your PC screen.

Maybe some clues might pop up.
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry
Unfortunately, no SSH. I suppose I should get that earphone to serial converter.

Looks like this isn't a common problem, since nobody else has chimed in. It's probably something I did then, not a problem in Bookworm.
This is very strange: after a couple of reboots, suddenly I can again launch the terminal and other programs, all of which work normally.

If I try to run sudo apt update, it runs, then I get a series of error messages that begin with "problem unlinking the file /var/cache/apt/pkgcache.bin", then anything I try to run segfaults.
I removed /var/cache/apt/pkgcache.bin and /var/cache/apt/srcpkgcache.bin, run sudo apt update, get an error "... splitting up ... repo.mobian ... into data and signature failed"

Same set of error messages as before, everything segfaults again.

I went into the /var/lib/dpkg directories and started cleaning out lock files, and got a segfault after a few commands. This is starting to look like bad memory, not bad software.
If you have an extra sd card, try on the September 06 nightly release. ?
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(09-07-2021, 12:16 AM)bcnaz Wrote: If you have an extra sd card,  try on the September 06 nightly release.  ?

I'll try to download that today. I don't have much bandwidth, so it's a project.
Yes, I have on some occasions downloaded the Mobian nightly in as little as 10 - 15 minutes,
... however tonight after 45 minutes, it says I have 14 hours to go. ! .. I am in rural South Western USA, my internet speed varies a lot.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
I was able to get it downloaded and on an SD card. It boots and runs, and so far there are no segfaults. I'll next flash it to the emmc, and see if all is still well. Maybe it's not hardware!

Edited to add: I'm in rural-ish Alaska, and internet is via cell tower, and gets very slow indeed.
Update: I flashed the nightly to the eMMC, and now it will boot to the mobian splash screen, then the screen goes blank with the backlight on. Same behavior when I try to boot from the SD card which was working last night.

It's looking like a hardware issue. Is there a memory test image I could boot and run?

After that the next step is probably going to be a new motherboard.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mobian boot failed with zstd message after upgrade. Mahgue 0 582 09-01-2023, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Mahgue
Wink Pinephone lost graphic during mobian system upgrade cmpin 4 2,063 03-01-2023, 04:45 PM
Last Post: anonymous
  SMS recieving broken? :( dante404 3 1,309 02-28-2023, 03:47 AM
Last Post: dante404
  No boot after upgrade: vibration, red LED, then 2 vibrations and yellow LED 3x5co 1 923 01-04-2023, 06:46 PM
Last Post: 3x5co
  Receive MMS fails after Nov 27 upgrade treebeard 17 5,556 12-12-2022, 05:09 AM
Last Post: anonymous
  Dist-upgrade and Chatty vs Gnome-Contacts biketool 9 3,807 09-30-2022, 08:53 PM
Last Post: treebeard
  Modem Firmware Upgrade - Modem Busy - USB Issues biketool 10 4,519 09-23-2022, 05:15 AM
Last Post: biketool
  New Tow-boot release, how to upgrade? user641 3 1,772 08-23-2022, 08:45 AM
Last Post: user641
  GPS/location services don't work with Maps after Bookworm upgrade Anna 16 9,816 06-13-2022, 02:37 PM
Last Post: wibble
  Firmware upgrade via fwupd user641 3 2,715 04-24-2022, 11:01 AM
Last Post: yehudac