PinePhone is not a daily driver
Been using the pinephone as my only mobile phone for a couple weeks now. So yes, my daily driver.

Took me a few days to settle on on a distribution that was stable and did not have continual modem resets.
Found archlinux Phosh (Dreemurrs) https://github.com/dreemurrs-embedded/Pi...h/releases to be the most stable and snappy of all the ones I tried.

Seems I had more modem resets at first (a couple times a day), in the past week only had 2 or 3 total (not per day).

Receiving calls and texts has seemed to always be working (except for the few times there was a reset).

My expectations are not high though, I'm not phone centric in regard to my computer usage, all I want is basic communications and a messenger phone sufficed back before 3G was being phased out. The pinephone is a bit more expensive than I'd prefer for a messenger phone, but it comes with a few advantages.

1. Larger display
  2. Ability to use IM clients in addition to SMS (took a bit of fiddling to set up Gajim with usable preferences and encryption, but it has been working fine for the past week.
  3. Browsing web pages on 4G works well, on 3G messenger phones I rarely bothered.
  4. Ethernet (ssh, wayvnc, etc...)
  5. USB-C (nice to be able to share fast chargers between devices)

Major disadavantage is that battery life is not nearly as good as a 3G messenger phone, but in the past couple weeks only ran the battery completely down once on my pinephone. Also booting and loading apps is much slower than on a messenger phone. But once loaded, apps are fast enough.

Overally I'm been very satisfied. But I agree is not ready for the average smartphone user, especially one who is not a Linux expert who is willing to spend the time trying various distros and fiddling with settings to get things working.
My PinePhone has been my only phone since July 1st of this year. There are a lot of quirks and workarounds I've implemented, but I think it's fun.

I've got Manjaro Phosh on the internal memory, and Arch with Phosh on an SD card. I figure if Arch breaks during an update, and I really need a phone, I'll just pull the SD out and boot off Manjaro. The phone has been really reliable. I've made important calls on it, received important calls on it, it's never let me down.

I'm resetting the modem with a CRON job. I'm using a CRON job to run a bash script for getting MMS messages off the modem, downloading the images and creating text records of the messages (great for getting group messages). I can send MMS messages via the command line. I'm using Birdie as an alarm app, it works great.

Honestly, I love using this phone as a daily driver. I'm coming off of years of Ubports on a Nexus 5 though, so I've broken away from the "app ecosystems" of Android and IOS long ago. The camera on this thing does leave something to be desired, and I'd really like to be able to record videos...but whatever. I've been willing to give up a lot of little things to use my PinePhone as my daily driver.

I shave my neck, but do have a beard.
  • PinePhone BraveHeart, needs modem replaced, used for experimenting with new OS's.
  • PinePhone Manjaro Community v1.2b 2G/16Gb Daily Driver
  • Pinebook Pro Arch Linux, Daily Driver
The Pinephone is my daily driver, it does calls, it has internet and I can hotspot and ssh into and via it, I don't really need anything else. The only thing I don't use it for is my morning alarm, cus I use an old brick phone for that, since I can leave it plugged into the wall so it never runs out of battery on me.
(09-09-2021, 03:31 AM)bogen85 Wrote: Been using the pinephone as my only mobile phone for a couple weeks now. So yes, my daily driver.

Took me a few days to settle on on a distribution that was stable and did not have continual modem resets.
Found archlinux Phosh (Dreemurrs) https://github.com/dreemurrs-embedded/Pi...h/releases to be the most stable and snappy of all the ones I tried.

Seems I had more modem resets at first (a couple times a day), in the past week only had 2 or 3 total (not per day).

Receiving calls and texts has seemed to always be working (except for the few times there was a reset).

My expectations are not high though, I'm not phone centric in regard to my computer usage, all I want is basic communications and a messenger phone sufficed back before 3G was being phased out. The pinephone is a bit more expensive than I'd prefer for a messenger phone, but it comes with a few advantages.

1. Larger display
  2. Ability to use IM clients in addition to SMS (took a bit of fiddling to set up Gajim with usable preferences and encryption, but it has been working fine for the past week.
  3. Browsing web pages on 4G works well, on 3G messenger phones I rarely bothered.
  4. Ethernet (ssh, wayvnc, etc...)
  5. USB-C (nice to be able to share fast chargers between devices)

Major disadavantage is that battery life is not nearly as good as a 3G messenger phone, but in the past couple weeks only ran the battery completely down once on my pinephone. Also booting and loading apps is much slower than on a messenger phone. But once loaded, apps are fast enough.

Overally I'm been very satisfied. But I agree is not ready for the average smartphone user, especially one who is not a Linux expert who is willing to spend the time trying various distros and fiddling with settings to get things working.
How is the install of arch on the PP? I never did it because I didn't want to have to bother plugging in an external keyboard to do all the setup for Arch. So is it the same as a regular Arch install or no?
There is no involved install. You can prep an image with a script that sets up the passphrase for full disk encryption, if you want that.
Other than that, it is no different the install of manjaro or postmarket OS on the pine phone.

After first boot you need to set up language, set pin (password), set time zone, and if no network connection, time.
But it is not like the involved install of arch on a desktop/server/other. It is a just boot and run and answer a few questions install.
(09-16-2021, 02:52 PM)bogen85 Wrote: There is no involved install. You can prep an image with a script that sets up the passphrase for full disk encryption, if you want that.
Other than that, it is no different the install of manjaro or postmarket OS on the pine phone.

After first boot you need to set up language, set pin (password), set time zone, and if no network connection, time.
But it is not like the involved install of arch on a desktop/server/other. It is a just boot and run and answer a few questions install.

I might have to try it then, thanks for the info!
I have "not yet"  been interested in the worry of encryption on my Pine phones.

While I have tried Arch quite a few times running from the sd card, simply download Arch,,, and flash to an sd card using Etcher.
Then insert the card into your phone.

From what I understand it is almost that simple to install to your eMMC...?
Just connect your phone to your computer using a good data usb cord, then flash to your phone instead of an sd card.

Can you not,  then just set-up encryption on your initial boot ?

JUST ASKING
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(09-16-2021, 05:48 PM)bcnaz Wrote: I have "not yet"  been interested in the worry of encryption on my Pine phones.

While I have tried Arch quite a few times running from the sd card, simply download Arch,,, and flash to an sd card using Etcher.
Then insert the card into your phone.

From what I understand it is almost that simple to install to your eMMC...?
Just connect your phone to your computer using a good data usb cord, then flash to your phone instead of an sd card.

Can you not,  then just set-up encryption on your initial boot ?

JUST ASKING

Unlike the alpine (post market os) image, the arch image when booted does not let you set up encryption.

To get an encrypted image with arch you need to set it up ahead of time.

archarm-mobile-fde-installer

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pinephone pro and consequences for pinephone users ivanB1975 4 145 3 hours ago
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  Pinephone for sale in Europe tiho 4 106 Today, 05:11 AM
Last Post: tiho
  list of linux native apps/softwares for pinephone on the wiki alexandre 5 1,998 Yesterday, 12:27 PM
Last Post: iwm
  PinePhone Pro battery life Barugon 10 477 Yesterday, 10:59 AM
Last Post: wibble
  UPDATED (June 2021): 17-distro multi-boot image for Pinephone (incl. 3GiB variant) megous 168 117,167 10-22-2021, 03:06 PM
Last Post: c3l@
  PinePhone SIM slot Niek 13 2,633 10-19-2021, 09:29 AM
Last Post: Barugon
  Are you using the Pinephone as your daily driver? jro 98 17,804 10-19-2021, 09:23 AM
Last Post: Barugon
  PinePhone Covid Apps bigtreeman 12 202 10-17-2021, 05:24 AM
Last Post: evilbunny
Sad New PinePhone won't boot 9/10 times - Screen is on but stays black :( dante404 7 153 10-13-2021, 05:13 AM
Last Post: dante404
  Comparing a Huawei smartphone to the PinePhone and Librem 5 amosbatto 0 187 10-12-2021, 10:38 AM
Last Post: amosbatto