How does customs duty and import VAT work?
I'm thinking about purchasing a new phone, but in Hong Kong the one I want is and there are no vendors in the United Kingdom. I suppose I have to pay customs duties and all of this, if I order it, but how much am I going to pay and how does it work? All the information I can find on the Internet appears to be very general, I just want to know about the cost.

If this does help at all, the phone is £160 with £13.50.
(08-30-2021, 05:13 AM)julie john Wrote: I'm thinking about purchasing a new phone, but in Hong Kong the one I want is and there are no vendors in the United Kingdom. I suppose I have to pay customs duties and all of this, if I order it, but how much am I going to pay and how does it work? All the information I can find on the Internet appears to be very general, I just want to know about the cost.

If this does help at all, the phone is £160 with £13.50.

Seems like you would have to pay only VAT of 20% on the goods + shipping (there is also very specific information on the internet on how import fees are calculated like here and here), so £208.20. I don't know how the payment process works in the UK though.
From what I understand is that customs is sales tax on top of whatever the customs decide the value of something.
I only ever experienced it with the PinePhone, so perhaps here in Japan there's some other factor in play?
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Forcing app to work in background - phosh saddamus 3 1,551 09-01-2022, 10:57 PM
Last Post: shulamy
  Will the Pine Phone 64 work in Germany? costa 6 6,398 07-31-2020, 12:48 PM
Last Post: dancingqueen74