Clean-slate flashing vs upgrading
I bought the UBports editions of the PinePhone, and around January of this year I flashed Mobian onto it. Since then, I've been upgrading packages regularly, and seen some improvements, but the phone doesn't seem to be getting any faster, and in fact it's running the battery down faster now than before.

Are there any benefits to flashing a new image, vs simply keeping the phone up-to-date?
(08-24-2021, 12:43 PM)3x5co Wrote: I bought the UBports editions of the PinePhone, and around January of this year I flashed Mobian onto it. Since then, I've been upgrading packages regularly, and seen some improvements, but the phone doesn't seem to be getting any faster, and in fact it's running the battery down faster now than before.

Are there any benefits to flashing a new image, vs simply keeping the phone up-to-date?

As far as I know, not a ton typically. Though right now they have switched from Debian Bullseye to Debian Bookworm which means you won't be getting much as far as updates goes on that device for the foreseeable future. I think if you either are on the unstable branch of Mobian or switch to Bookworm you will get Phosh 0.13 which is a massive improvement over the previous versions and includes answers calls from the lock screen (properly integrated) and getting lock screen notifications which makes this feel like an actual phone for once.
Thanks for the reply. On what is, apparently, the main thread on the topic, a number of people say to grab the nightly if you want to use bookworm -- although one post says they just edited their sources, upgraded, and it worked.

I suppose I can give it a try. I wish I had carved out a separate partition for /home, which I always do with my desktop. I don't know if that was an option when installing Mobian.
Updating to bookworm I have not noticed any difference booting off a nightly build on an SD card versus updating my eMMC installation.
One difference I noticed a few nights back, I had two PMOS convergent phones setting next to each other,

both are running the mobian nightly on an sd card, but one is a July download with the updates, and the other was a fresh release, 23 or 24th August...

> 'In the power app the newer release showed 2.3 watts discharge,  while the  'updated'  July release showed 3.4 watts discharge.

Both phones were idle with only the modem turned on.

So the lower power draw shows an improvement that is harder to notice at first glance.

The software store has been repaired, both in the software selections, and the update function.

So far I would say Mobian/Bookworm is off to a great start,

This is  'out of the box'  except  fill-in 'all'  settings, APN, wifi, etc...
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
That's good to know, because my PinePhone runs down the battery like crazy. I always have one battery charging outside the phone, and I go through two batteries about every day. And I don't even use the phone part, and have the modem switched off.

If I flash a new nightly from an SD, won't that overwrite my /home folder?
(08-25-2021, 03:44 PM)3x5co Wrote: That's good to know, because my PinePhone runs down the battery like crazy. I always have one battery charging outside the phone, and I go through two batteries about every day. And I don't even use the phone part, and have the modem switched off.

If I flash a new nightly from an SD, won't that overwrite my /home folder?

Maybe save some stuff to a flash drive ?

But Yes   a fresh install does wipe what 'was' on there.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
OK. Well it took me so long to make all the tweaks to make my device usable, I don't think I'm going to wipe it until I know there's a release that will dramatically improve performance. So maybe I'll stick with my upgrade for now, and wait for a full release candidate with Bookworm.
(08-25-2021, 05:48 PM)3x5co Wrote: OK. Well it took me so long to make all the tweaks to make my device usable, I don't think I'm going to wipe it until I know there's a release that will dramatically improve performance. So maybe I'll stick with my upgrade for now, and wait for a full release candidate with Bookworm.

I understand,    

It's all about choices...  

My daily driver is running on a release from July.

But since I have the extra phone with sim,   I like to run one of them on the latest nightly release.

If that phone does crash,  it was only a test phone to start with.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lot of issues after flashing mobian to emmc with tow-boot benedikt55 5 2,667 08-30-2022, 01:14 PM
Last Post: benedikt55
  Improper Storage After Flashing Mobian Ferriah 1 1,025 07-23-2022, 05:11 AM
Last Post: LibrePhoneUser
  Watch out for your system clock , when upgrading. bingo600 4 4,965 08-21-2020, 03:04 PM
Last Post: bcnaz