Total Noob. Need help booting from SD
(08-22-2021, 09:58 PM)KC9UDX Wrote: Well, if you have a U-Boot on your eMMC that doesn't like to boot SD cards (yes this happens) then it is time to disable the eMMC.  You may as well do that anyway just to make things easier.  But study the images in the wiki carefully (hopefully there are still good images there), to make sure you are switching the right switch.  You could even remove the eMMC if you want.  It just pulls straight up.  It looks scary, but it isn't.

I would recommend against pulling eMMC off the board unless there is no other way, because the connector used for eMMC modules is not rated for many mating cycles and I would expect it to wear out fast.
This message was created with 100% recycled electrons
Okay. I'm sure I have the eMMC switch turned OFF (flipped it from the hinges, to the down position) and now when I try to boot it, I atleast get a green light, and that's it
A serial console would tell you what's happening. Else try a different OS, different SD card.
:wq

[ SRA accepts you ]
(08-25-2021, 06:35 AM)KC9UDX Wrote: A serial console would tell you what's happening.  Else try a different OS, different SD card.
Serial console? Haha. Remember, I'm a noob. But, I do believe I'm getting somewhere, I think, I hope. During my millions of different threads and searches I remember seeing a post somewhere and vaguely remember it saying something about quickly switching the eMMC switch when booting up (or something to the sort)

It then starts up with a whole different string of texts, but the result is: direct firmware load for failed with error 2 (or something. Sorry, but I'm at work so I can't send screen shots)
BUT THEN! I'm somehow able to access the Emergency Mode, but really can't do much since I don't know the root password
Ignore the error 2. I think this about usb C video
What had you booted,, is it the Sd card? OR emmc?
i imagine that you are in a terminal, so
id
whoami
uname -a
mount |grep dev
lsblk
If you have sufficient permissions, edit (on emmc) /etc/shadow, make root passwordless
As I said before, search forum, all explained previously
(search .... passwordless OR shadow)
(08-25-2021, 10:17 PM)wdt Wrote: Ignore the error 2. I think this about usb C video
What had you booted,, is it the Sd card? OR emmc?
i imagine that you are in a terminal, so
id
whoami
uname -a
mount |grep dev
lsblk
If you have sufficient permissions, edit (on emmc) /etc/shadow, make root passwordless
As I said before, search forum, all explained previously
(search .... passwordless OR shadow)

Just got off work, and I am about to take another crack at it. I just wanted to say thanks again for you're help. I'll let you know the results

As for what I booted, I BLEIEVE the SD Card, but I'll let you know

Okay. I found one thread and was reading, but then I kind of got confused. At first it says:

Quote:Then it depends. If you're on a computer that can run Balena Etcher, just select..
 But then a little further down it says:
Quote:We can't use Etcher on the Pinebook family, so we need to do it manually. It's not that hard as long as you're really careful

Sooo, can we or can we not use it?.
Balena Etcher ????? how can you use etcher on a non-working computer??
I am not sure, I don't think there is an arm version of etcher
Most people, after a little experience, use dd,, just be carefull
something like
xzcat someImage.xz |dd of=/dev/sd bs=1M status=progress
(replace /dev/sd with right /dev/mmcblkX,,, X= 1 OR 2)
uname -a will tell you what is booted,, id OR whoami will tell your permissions
Must be root to edit etc/shadow, to fix your forgotten password
What I can see, no-one on this forum knows how to boot from an SD micro card placed in the SD micro card slot on the side of the PineBook Pro.   I have a SD micro card formatted and loaded from Balena Etcher.  I need to reinstall my system, as my password was not written down a few months ago, when I should have written it down.  Just let me know what keys to press when starting up so I can re-install Manjaro OS from the SD micro card.  Thanks so much.
(07-23-2022, 07:19 PM)larsbro Wrote: What I can see, no-one on this forum knows how to boot from an SD micro card placed in the SD micro card slot on the side of the PineBook Pro.   I have a SD micro card formatted and loaded from Balena Etcher.  I need to reinstall my system, as my password was not written down a few months ago, when I should have written it down.  Just let me know what keys to press when starting up so I can re-install Manjaro OS from the SD micro card.  Thanks so much.

Have you tried booting from the micro SD after a restart (not cold boot)?
Just let it boot the first time from eMMC.
Assuming you get to the login screen, can you restart from there?
When you don't see that option, try CTRL+ALT+DEL (perhaps also with Fn, as Del is shared with Backspace).

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Followed the blog post to install Fedora: PBP not booting anymore koenigs 6 1,736 06-01-2023, 10:58 AM
Last Post: wdt
  I'm booting from NVME but I want to switch back to eMMC acruhl 4 1,384 04-23-2023, 06:58 AM
Last Post: acruhl
Exclamation PineBook Pro shuts down immediately after booting zogkarndon 5 1,839 01-10-2023, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Perl6_user
Wink Booting Windows on bare-metal rk3399 SBC (no linux involved) strongtz 9 10,268 05-26-2022, 11:36 PM
Last Post: strongtz
  PInebook not booting with eMMC enabled aragaer 4 4,099 10-25-2021, 09:11 PM
Last Post: wdt
  Manjaro i3 Edition not booting mtndew 0 1,539 08-23-2021, 06:21 PM
Last Post: mtndew
Video Problem Booting from SD card ezryder324r 0 1,428 05-19-2021, 02:42 PM
Last Post: ezryder324r
  Forgot my Pinebook password. Booting from MIcroSD doesn't work. ksfoodforest 0 1,712 01-30-2021, 11:08 AM
Last Post: ksfoodforest
  Booting to sdcard stopped working after emmc flash techiedog 3 3,837 12-31-2020, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Anarethos
  Booting - User device selection in U-Boot? Arwen 10 11,612 11-21-2020, 01:22 PM
Last Post: Arwen