Mobian MMS/SMS text problem
My Main Daily Driver, 

a PMOS Convergent phone, it is using a Mobian nightly build from about July 20,(plus updates) running from sd card.

It 'Has' been working quite dependably,  just the MMS text would hang in the modem, but the SMS text make it into the chats App.

I just have to occasionally use the 'Modem Manager GUI' App to clear out those pesky MMS text.

But,  today that changed a bit,  I had 2 of the usual MMS text in there,   but I had 4 regular SMS text also in there. 

Three of those regular SMS text did also find their way into the chats App.  so that's OK,

BUT  one of the regular SMS texts stuck there in the modem and and never showed up in the chats App...!

THAT  could be a real problem !   

Sometimes I go days without checking/or clearing the modem.

I have been Lucky overall I guess,  I see others complaining here all the time,  but I have had almost perfect performance with Mobian

running first on my Brave Heart, and now on the PMOS convergent version.  

Talk & Text have been very dependable 'for me'....   Now I will need to check for SMS text stuck in the modem on a regular basis. !

On the plus side it was in the phone ....  and having the 'Modem Manager GUI' App does make checking the modem fairly painless.

I thought I should share that as a 'Heads-Up' to others

( I have 1 Brave Heart, 3 PMOS Convergent, 1 Manjaro Convergent phone )
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
Im not receiving any sms texts. Exactly how do you clear the modem manager? Im using a Mobian stable build.

Edit: I forgot to add some info
I had this phone shelved away for a bit because it was not daily driver ready. I use T-Mobile here in the USA and sometimes I would not get reception. Upon going back to my Mobian phone I have seen that it was acting erractly as if something broke or got corrupted, enough for me to do a clean install. I ended up getting a new sim card and phone number for it, I updated it days ago and recently today, with the result of it seeing that the 4G is sticking around more often and it seems to suffer less from reception errors. I updated it via Kings Cross, since before I seen the "Software" app not work right when needing to update. My new issue is that now it seems like I'm not getting any sms texts.

For updating the PinePhone running a stable Build of Mobian should I use "King's Cross" or the "Software" app?
I am a GUI user so :

I installed the  "Modem Manager GUI" App from the onboard Software Store.

Upon opening the app :  click on sms,   then delete each one,   must be done one at a time.

To exit you Must Click "Actions" on the top left,  then choose  "Quit"

> This app will not close with an 'up-swipe' like the other app's. <

I Hope that helps  ?
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(08-20-2021, 08:40 PM)bcnaz Wrote: I am a GUI user so :

I installed the  "Modem Manager GUI" App from the onboard Software Store.

Upon opening the app :  click on sms,   then delete each one,   must be done one at a time.

To exit you Must Click "Actions" on the top left,  then choose  "Quit"

> This app will not close with an 'up-swipe' like the other app's. <

I Hope that helps  ?

The texts I seen in Modem Manger show up as "Unknown 2300" I deleted then quit the app followed by rebooting the phone but Im not seeing any Texts coming in. Do I have to do this every day? The ones I deleted what exactly are they? 

Also thanks for the advice and input
hmm...  I have not seen "Unknown 2300"  usually I see a long line of characters and numbers for each mms text.

If I have a pile of messages being blocked,  My phone starts chiming like a old cash register for each sms text coming in,  ... as soon as I close the MM app.

It depends on how many MMS texts you receive daily,  I do normally check every couple of days,    but I do not get many mms texts.

I think it takes more than one mms text before it fills/Plugs the modems cache.

The most I remember seeing was about 18 or 20,  but usually it is only just a few. 
                   >(the first time it was a lot, but I did not count them)

>>   I would wonder if the  "unknown 2300"    could be carrier specific ?  <<

Does anyone else know what the  "Unknown 2300"  stands for,  some kind of code  ?

( I do have more than one phone, so I can text myself instead of waiting for someone to text me)
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(08-20-2021, 11:29 PM)bcnaz Wrote:
Quote:Does anyone else know what the  "Unknown 2300"  stands for,  some kind of code  ?

( I do have more than one phone,  so I can text myself instead of waiting for someone to text me)

For me this happens whenever I send an mms to the PP from another phone. I'm using Mobian stable and don't have mms support (I guess). At some point my modem got blocked with lots of 2300 unknown messages, when removed (using modem-maager-gui) some 'waiting' sms messages were immediately delivered. Yet, it seems that one or two mms messages don't necessarily block the modem.

I guess this means I'll have to be checking (or even using) modem-manager-gui for messages instead of chatty, being the only dependable way to know if I have any messages.  Maybe there's a way to make it the default message app?
I was wondering if some of them are from emoji's. Thanks to your advice I was able to get texts working.
(08-24-2021, 09:03 AM)FOSSagent0 Wrote: I was wondering if some of them are from emoji's. Thanks to your advice I was able to get texts working.

I have wondered about whether they were emojis, but  then I  have actually received emojis since but still not able to get mms. Most of  the time  I have  people  admitting  sending me  pictures as attachment and with the date and time (I have to add 3 hours) we can figure out who sent what.   At one point,  I learned that group texts are also considered MMS.

I use King's Cross:
Code:
sudo mmcli -m any --messaging-list-sms 
        to see how many messages i have (the reason i use "any" is because the number changes.)

type in password when prompted. Then a list shows.  For example, mine showed just now:
      /org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/SMS/53 (sent)
      /org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/SMS/52 (unknown)
      /org/freedesktop/ModemManager1/SMS/50 (receiving)
I know sent is my sent message , no need to check. To see the content of the message 50 i issue:

Code:
sudo mmcli -s 50

and in this case it my sister who texted me.

to delete it I issue:
Code:
sudo mmcli -m any --messaging-delete-sms=50
I then get a confirmation:  successfully deleted SMS from modem

This does not delete it from Chatty. I can see it there still.

I hope this helps.  I haven't used  Modem Manager since early on because it was a  bit klunky at the time. In King's Cross, tap the key to the right of spacebar one could get the function page and  can use the up,down arrows to toggle through the commands used and so won't have to retype and could just plug in the number.
I did have up to 6 or 7 MMS  once that I deleted and then regular sms started to come in. (would still love to see those  mystery mms as well as finding out the sender, but I have not been diligent in following the work-around methods.

Hope this help!
(08-20-2021, 08:40 PM)bcnaz Wrote: I installed the  "Modem Manager GUI" App from the onboard Software Store.

I found that by activating the touch keyboard and enabling "terminal" from the globe key to the left of the space bar, one can use the Ctrl key to select multiple entries for deletion. Remember to deactivate Ctrl after making the selections for deletion.

Unfortunately, it didn't help with my problem. I'm on Bookworm and .003 modem firmware and it's been working great for months but I lost inbound SMS text functionality a few days ago. Outbound still works. I don't mess with MMS.

I tried booting to Mobian on the Megous Multi-boot, which has worked for inbound SMS in the past, and it no longer works either. I never update the Megous Multi-boot OSes.

I've powered-off, rebooted and even removed the battery to no avail. I've also tried killing the chatty process and just using Modem-Manager-GUI but still no inbound SMS.

I could re-flash modem firmware (maybe try .002, which I've never used) but why would it now be corrupt after months of solid functional behavior?
(10-26-2021, 01:50 PM)calinb Wrote: I could re-flash modem firmware (maybe try .002, which I've never used) but why would it now be corrupt after months of solid functional behavior?

Just a few days ago I had a problem where suddenly without having made any changes or installing any updates my modem was coming up as "not ready" when booting Mobian bookwork from the eMMC. That day it worked fine in the morning. When I switched the phone back on later in the afternoon it stopped working for no apparent reason. It did work though booting from SD card. So I restored an image backup from a few weeks ago to the eMMC and it's working again. (For what it's worth I'm using the "002" modem firmware.)

Why? Who knows. I've been working in the computer industry for over 40 years and have found there are some times when it comes to figuring out a crazy problem you might just as well light some candles and incense, and throw sticks up in the air over a pentagram for an answer. Maybe a cosmic ray flipped a bit somewhere, or maybe the bit gods were just having a bit of fun.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  bookworm vs trixie discussion for mobian in pinephone regular. zetabeta 15 1,514 03-25-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: anonymous
  cant verify mobian image at website gnugpg penguins_rule 0 70 03-18-2024, 08:54 PM
Last Post: penguins_rule
  mobian installed to eMMC - how to install tow-boot grump_fiddle_reinstall 6 1,711 11-22-2023, 11:46 AM
Last Post: aLoop100o
  What actions needed to keep on mobian testing user641 3 1,687 09-05-2023, 06:44 AM
Last Post: Zebulon Walton
  Mobian boot failed with zstd message after upgrade. Mahgue 0 580 09-01-2023, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Mahgue
  Problem with updates: Repository 'Debian bookworm' changed its 'non-free component' Anna 7 1,904 08-31-2023, 12:38 PM
Last Post: vusra
  how to update mobian over tor vusra 13 6,540 07-09-2023, 08:57 PM
  opensnitch outbound firewall now works on mobian vusra 2 1,798 07-09-2023, 01:37 AM
  Using Nativefier on PP64 with Mobian paulcarton 0 577 07-05-2023, 03:57 AM
Last Post: paulcarton
  Has anyone got briar-desktop running on mobian? vusra 5 2,862 06-19-2023, 03:02 PM