Bookworm
(09-20-2021, 11:46 PM)bcnaz Wrote: Not every Nightly works "Out of the Box" 

It is surprising that most of them do actually just work outta the box.

I do not understand why so many people will "cry" when they try one system and it does not act like an iphone or a Google phone ?

I have almost always been able to find a working system for my "Daily Driver phone"  and I have zero skill with terminal or command line stuff.

To have a working Pine phone is not that hard,  ether you  "have some geek skills"  OR   you  "exert some serious effort"  and read a lot of  "Forum Posts."

My having multiple Pine phones does help me to a point, but I do have to spend a lot of time trying many of the different operating systems.

As the Pine Phone Store says the Pine phone is for "Developers and Enthusiasts"

I consider myself an Enthusiast !
The issue is that if you are using it as a daily driver and it stops working as expected it can lead to missed calls and texts and for many people they can't afford that. I've been using Mobian as my daily driver for about 2 months but also still lose modem connection from time to time and just the other day I did a 100+ mile trip to a place I've never been before and basically had no options for directions. The pine phone is daily driver ready if you have real patience (because it's super slow) or if you only use it for Texts/Calls (which is basically all I do). If you like to use social media or look at YouTube then you'll probably eat through your battery life super quickly and then that becomes way less viable as a daily driver.

I really like this phone but also feel like it is reasonable to a degree when people talk about how this isn't daily driver ready because for most people it just isn't.
My D.D. phone is on an early release of bookworm, (plus updates) and it seems to be fairly dependable.

I do have other Pine test phones, that I do try almost every Mobian nightly release on one of those phones.

As I said, not every nightly works 'out of the box' so I do see more problems and such on the test phones.

I do use my D.D. a lot for texting and some for calls, just a little web use via wifi for updates and testing, and some 'testing use' on cellular data.

I guess I would not be considered a "typical Pine phone user".
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(09-21-2021, 12:09 PM)bcnaz Wrote: My D.D. phone is on an early release of bookworm,  (plus updates)  and it seems to be fairly dependable.

I do have other Pine test phones,  that I do try almost every Mobian nightly release on one of those phones.

As I said,  not every nightly works  'out of the box'  so I do see more problems and such on the test phones.

I do use my D.D. a lot for texting and some for calls,  just a little web use via wifi for updates and testing, and some  'testing use'  on cellular data.

I guess I would not be considered a  "typical Pine phone user".

I use my phone for basically the same thing and I think for people like us this is a daily driver but the issue is most people really like social media, Youtube or surfing the web. I really don't do much of that at all (literally no YouTube or social media) so it isn't a big deal but I do understand that most people are in deep with that stuff and that probably makes it hard to be a daily driver with. Either way, I am happy with where Phosh/Mobian is now but also think that in a year it could be in an even better place. Ultimately I would be interested to see how Plasma Mobile matures because I personally am not a huge Phosh fan in general.
Gnome was my first Linux 'favorite desktop', I've tried some of the others, over the years.

Debian has become a fav..... just 5 or 6 years ago.

But it is Great to have choices.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(09-21-2021, 12:29 PM)bcnaz Wrote: Gnome was my first Linux 'favorite desktop',  I've tried some of the others, over the years.

Debian has become a fav.....  just 5 or 6 years ago.

But it is Great to have choices.

Cinnamon was my first but then I realized there were other options and tried most of them really enjoying Peppermint and KDE and really disliking GNOME.
Just did a quick test of the September 21 nightly release :

Calls work both in and outgoing, decent sound quality on the calls. *  Including notifications on lock screen.

Text works both in and outgoing.

Wifi works, did initial updates from onboard 'software store',  also installed Modem Manager GUI.

Cellular data works,  did test connection to Pine64 forum.  (Did not try hot spot or tethering)

So the basic essentials worked ("Out of the Box")  for the quick test.

Running on sd card,  *  on Manjaro Convergent edition phone,  *  Pure Talk carrier services.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(09-20-2021, 02:50 PM)bcnaz Wrote: RYO :
have you made any other OS modifications that could effect the display/ desktop ?
I have added some app's  but I have not changed anything on the operating system itself.
Just touching the 'search box'  brings up the keyboard on any of the OS'es that I have played with.

It has been like that since I last installed Mobian actually.
The only thing I could possibly suspect is Fcitx5 and mozc, which I always install as the first thing after installing an OS, because otherwise I can't even write 90% of the text I write every day.
But I don't think it should affect functionality of a keyboard, especially considering I need to manually enable Fcitx on each boot up for it to even work.
母語は日本語ですが、英語も喋れます(ry
On the above release, (post #76) just touch the search box and the keyboard does pop up.

For the September 22 nightly to function properly, you must first do the initial "Updates"...

I did a quick & minimal 5 minute test, so not everything was tested. * But Calls did Not work until after the "Updates"... Then it did work both directions.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
Sept. 23, nightly on sd card,  calls in and out, two way text, wifi, and cellular data all work, updated new flash from onboard software store.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
Looking Forward to the new keyboard, but I wonder how challenging will it be for the Mobian Dev's Team to smoothly integrate it..?

They keyboard sounds quite "Cool", though holding the phone to your ear could be awkward with the open keyboard ?
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  bookworm vs trixie discussion for mobian in pinephone regular. zetabeta 15 2,002 03-25-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: anonymous
  Problem with updates: Repository 'Debian bookworm' changed its 'non-free component' Anna 7 2,375 08-31-2023, 12:38 PM
Last Post: vusra
  Debian bookworm security repo user641 2 1,572 02-17-2023, 01:12 AM
Last Post: user641
  Bookworm Satellite Navigation biketool 7 3,227 09-02-2022, 01:42 PM
Last Post: vortex
  GPS/location services don't work with Maps after Bookworm upgrade Anna 16 10,182 06-13-2022, 02:37 PM
Last Post: wibble
  Bookworm Navigation Enabler Script biketool 2 1,534 06-02-2022, 04:12 AM
Last Post: biketool
  Flatpak on Bookworm biketool 0 908 05-25-2022, 03:47 PM
Last Post: biketool
  chatty v0.6 in Bookworm at last! treebeard 13 7,705 02-13-2022, 05:21 PM
Last Post: treebeard
  Waydroid Intallation on Bookworm Dinosaur1946 6 4,492 01-30-2022, 12:03 AM
Last Post: Dinosaur1946
  Safe to upgrade Bookworm again? nelstomlinson 2 2,486 10-12-2021, 03:45 AM
Last Post: bcnaz