Bookworm
Mobian has more or less achieved or surpassed being just a usable phone operating system.

Perhaps, Now, it would be ok to ask for some "Extras" like Video calls and caller controls like blocking/ desktop answering machine APP's ?

App's like calendar do work, but do need some polish, but I kind of expect they will improve that a step at a time, rather than overnight it is suddenly perfect.

For Noob's we could use a better start up page, and attention to details.

A simple little detail like not filling in all the blanks in 'Regions & Languages' can cause an app to mis-function or not function.

OR not correctly entering the APN data.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
My only disappointment is losing my Jetsons custom ringtone. That stopped working when first updating to bookworm. I don't know if the method to install a custom ringtone has changed or the feature just doesn't work any more. Obviously a very tiny, insignificant thing given the recent huge improvements. Smile
Maybe, eventually they will make it easy to do custom ring tones, maybe even have voice overlays..?

Like being able to add voice-over "It's the Boss" or "Wifey is calling" etc...
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(08-27-2021, 09:04 PM)Zebulon Walton Wrote: My only disappointment is losing my Jetsons custom ringtone.

One thing I have been looking forward to is dotfile convergence on all my devices, now to include the phone as well.

As it's just regular GNU/Linux after all, you could include your ringtone(s) in some folder, and copy them to the device however you like.[0] Then whenever you re-install OS you just copy (or clone, in case of managing dotfile repo with git) your stuff back onto the phone and voila, all your settings (and OS media, like ring tones) are there for you.

This applies to all other settings as well, most of which can be found somewhere in ~, usually in plain text files in ~/.config/[..].

[0] I use git to keep a repo of my dotfiles for example, but you could use something like SyncThing or even just plain copying of files / folders (although there are quite some advantages to the former solutions).
Cheers,
TRS-80

What is Free Software and why is it so important for society?

Protocols, not Platforms

For the most Linux-y experience on your Linux phone, try SXMO!

I am (nominally) the Armbian Maintainer for PineBook Pro (although severely lacking in time these days).
WHOOP'S   *   Well that is Beta testing for you.

I have been running a Mobian nightly release on sd card from sometime in July on a PMOS Convergent phone just 'out of the box' with updates,  for my daily driver.

Yesterday I exchanged texts with an AT&T help rep, for well over 100 texts, and hours,   and I finally got my data issues resolved with them.

Then I spent 2 hours on hold,  before finally talking to a rep at Pure Talk,   when I did get through,  it only took a few minutes to get my "Hot Spot" up and running
on my Pine "Test" phones.
> It turns out you just have to "ask" them to turn it on,  as Hot Spot is off by default.

So I was 'on the phone'  much more than usual yesterday.  Then I put the phone on the charger and left it for a while.

> Later when going out to a family birthday party, I picked up the phone and it would not open when I bumped the power button,  I tried several times,  nothing....
After trying to do a "Hard shutdown"  it still did nothing.  Holding the power button for 22+ seconds it appeared to do a 'restart'  but after a long wait,
      The Mobian logo flashed for about a second, then it went to a dark blue screen and stayed there.

I did try many times again, but all I could get was a quick glimpse of the Mobian logo  ...  occasionally.

SO...

Later I installed the latest Mobian Nightly,  the phone is fine again, everything I tried is working as normal.

There were a few "Links"  in some of the lost texts that I wish I had not lost,  but other than that no big loss....

I keep a paper copy of my "Contacts"  so nothing was actually lost there.  Just a little effort to type them into the New OS.

>>> The Point Being :  This is a "Beta Testing" operating  system !   Remember the disclaimer in the store, this is NOT an end user device.

I am NOT disappointed, ...  Rather the opposite,     The Pine phone,  and "This" Operating system -  have both exceeded any promises ever made.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(08-29-2021, 11:46 PM)bcnaz Wrote: WHOOP'S   *   Well that is Beta testing for you.

I have been running a Mobian nightly release on sd card from sometime in July on a PMOS Convergent phone just 'out of the box' with updates,  for my daily driver.

Yesterday I exchanged texts with an AT&T help rep, for well over 100 texts, and hours,   and I finally got my data issues resolved with them.

Then I spent 2 hours on hold,  before finally talking to a rep at Pure Talk,   when I did get through,  it only took a few minutes to get my "Hot Spot" up and running
on my Pine "Test" phones.
> It turns out you just have to "ask" them to turn it on,  as Hot Spot is off by default.

So I was 'on the phone'  much more than usual  yesterday.  Then I put the phone on the charger and left it for a while.

> Later when going out to a family birthday party, I picked up the phone and it would not open when I bumped the power button,  I tried several times,  nothing....
After trying to do a "Hard shutdown"  it still did nothing.  Holding the power button for 22+ seconds it appeared to do a 'restart'  but after a long wait,
      The Mobian logo flashed for about a second, then it went to a dark blue screen and stayed there.

I did try many times again, but all I could get was a quick glimpse of the Mobian logo  ...  occasionally.

SO...

Later I installed the latest Mobian Nightly,  the phone is fine again, everything I tried is working as normal.

There were a few "Links"  in some of the lost texts that I wish I had not lost,  but other than that no big loss....

I keep a paper copy of my "Contacts"  so nothing was actually lost there.  Just a little effort to type them into the New OS.

>>> The Point Being :  This is a "Beta Testing" operating  system !   Remember the disclaimer in the store, this is NOT an end user device.

I am NOT disappointed, ...  Rather the opposite,     The Pine phone,  and "This" Operating system -  have both exceeded any promises ever made.

That sounds like a dead battery to me. If the battery gets low enough it has a hard time booting so it can charge. The last time it happened to me I the phone on a charger for a few days (I have VOIP so it's not critical) and eventually it worked itself out. If you have one of the standalone battery chargers that probably works better.
NOPE, Battery was charged AND it was plugged in

using the stand alone battery charger can be handy, and I do have spare batteries.
> But Note, I have found that swapping batteries causes the time to change on the phone.
So you must re-set the time everytime you swap the battery.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
After changing the software list files for bookworm and update and upgrade, the Software app cannot do OS Updates. See the attached picture. Is there a known fix for this? There's a lot of stuff in dmesg output, but I don't immediately see an explanation. Thanks for your help.

Also, does anyone know if this upgrade addresses MMS and group texts?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(09-02-2021, 12:55 PM)lsitongia Wrote: After changing the software list files for bookworm and update and upgrade, the Software app cannot do OS Updates. See the attached picture. Is there a known fix for this? There's a lot of stuff in dmesg output, but I don't immediately see an explanation. Thanks for your help.

Also, does anyone know if this upgrade addresses MMS and group texts?

I'm not sure about updating through the Software app but can you update via the command line? Maybe check the Mobian gitlab page and make an issue there.

This update has nothing to do with Chatty right now. But if you look at the Chatty merge requests you will see there is one there for MMS. So hopefully that will get merged soon enough. If you want to use the MMS version of Chatty there is information on the Wiki on how to do that. It works well enough for receiving MMS but still no way to send from within Chatty.
On my Test phone that I reinstall the nightly almost every night:

There were recently 2 nightly's in a row with a problem when trying to update from the onboard 'Software Store'
  but that appears to be fixed since,  and it works fine now.  (for me)

I am Curious about the first boot start up routine,  it still does the 'resizing' but the start-up helper pop-up has disappeared.?
  That in itself is Not a problem,
    but there was the one item where you had the choice to anonymously,  and automatically report errors,  under the privacy choices.

"That choice"   is not listed in the normal  "Settings"  ?
While  I always turn off  'Location Services'      but I did leave the error reporting service turned on.
 <( I have not noticed that on the other operating systems that I have tried... )>

* I have no problem automatically reporting that data to the Developers.

>>>  I Wonder why they dropped that ?
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  bookworm vs trixie discussion for mobian in pinephone regular. zetabeta 15 2,000 03-25-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: anonymous
  Problem with updates: Repository 'Debian bookworm' changed its 'non-free component' Anna 7 2,364 08-31-2023, 12:38 PM
Last Post: vusra
  Debian bookworm security repo user641 2 1,570 02-17-2023, 01:12 AM
Last Post: user641
  Bookworm Satellite Navigation biketool 7 3,223 09-02-2022, 01:42 PM
Last Post: vortex
  GPS/location services don't work with Maps after Bookworm upgrade Anna 16 10,171 06-13-2022, 02:37 PM
Last Post: wibble
  Bookworm Navigation Enabler Script biketool 2 1,532 06-02-2022, 04:12 AM
Last Post: biketool
  Flatpak on Bookworm biketool 0 907 05-25-2022, 03:47 PM
Last Post: biketool
  chatty v0.6 in Bookworm at last! treebeard 13 7,686 02-13-2022, 05:21 PM
Last Post: treebeard
  Waydroid Intallation on Bookworm Dinosaur1946 6 4,475 01-30-2022, 12:03 AM
Last Post: Dinosaur1946
  Safe to upgrade Bookworm again? nelstomlinson 2 2,481 10-12-2021, 03:45 AM
Last Post: bcnaz