Bookworm
(08-23-2021, 02:26 PM)ragreenburg Wrote: I would also like to know the command for brightness and how does one "set up" an rc.local? What is inside that file?

The /etc/rc.local file hails from ancient BSD Unix systems and is a simple and convenient place to put commands to be executed at boot time without having to go through the trouble of creating specific init scripts for each command. It runs last in the init sequence. However rc.local was discontinued with the advent of systemd being used for initialization in many Linux distributions (including Debian). However it is not difficult to create a systemd unit file to provide rc.local functionality:

https://www.troublenow.org/752/debian-10-add-rc-local/
(08-23-2021, 08:06 AM)Zebulon Walton Wrote:
(08-22-2021, 11:28 PM)fernando_c_m Wrote: Phosh ui minimum setting in 5.10 gives you some brightness. No brightness at all with 5.13. That's why it is advisible to set the backlight brightness in rc.local. Just a hard reset if you manage to set the backlight brightness to minimum in Phosh

Ah, interesting. I already have rc.local set up. What is the command for setting brightness in Phosh?

I don't know about Phosh. The command needed to set the backlight brightness can be seen in the link of post #7 of this thread. ; )
(08-23-2021, 11:32 PM)fernando_c_m Wrote: I don't know about Phosh. The command needed to set the backlight brightness can be seen in the link of post #7 of this thread. ; )

Thanks, I missed that! The command in that link is "echo 400 > /sys/class/backlight/backlight/brightness" run as root. Simple enough to put into rc.local.
August 25 nightly release, seems most items are working ok,

onboard data works decent, but no working hot spot atm...
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
Using a PP 2.1 and Mobian Bookworm nightly from 2021-08-21. Last updated on 2021-08-25.

I can't  say for sure that this is a result of running Bookworm, but I can say that I've not had this happen when running Bullseye.

I used it to do some FF searches early this morning. At some point later this morning I attempted to turn on the screen and got no response. This has happened before when running Bullseye but not while running Bookworm. With Bullseye I've bee able to use the power button to shutdown and restart.

This time:

1) green light came on.

2) the mobian logo appears, center screen.

3) the 'busy' icon appears below the logo

4) nothing ever happens after that

I can still shutdown using the power button, and I can restart, only to get back to where I was with the forever 'busy' icon.

A normal boot:

1) green light comes on.
2 the mobian logo flashes on and disappears
3) screen goes black for a few seconds
4 the mobian logo comes back for a few seconds
5) screen goes black for a few secondsnot
6) lock screen appears.

Is anyone else having a similar issue? Does anyone know of any way to fix this without a new install? 

I don't have ssh access setup, although tinysshd is installed.

** Update to this post

It turned out that the microsd card was bad. I could not format it or write anything to it.  I have since replaced it and am now running bookworm without any trouble.

Thanks for your suggestions, they were very much appreciated.
(08-26-2021, 01:36 PM)henrythemouse Wrote: Using a PP 2.1 and Mobian Bookworm nightly from 2021-08-21. Last updated on 2021-08-25.

I can't  say for sure that this is a result of running Bookworm, but I can say that I've not had this happen when running Bullseye.

I used it to do some FF searches early this morning. At some point later this morning I attempted to turn on the screen and got no response. This has happened before when running Bullseye but not while running Bookworm. With Bullseye I've bee able to use the power button to shutdown and restart.

This time:

1) green light came on.

2) the mobian logo appears, center screen.

3) the 'busy' icon appears below the logo

4) nothing ever happens after that

I can still shutdown using the power button, and I can restart, only to get back to where I was with the forever 'busy' icon.

A normal boot:

1) green light comes on.
2 the mobian logo flashes on and disappears
3) screen goes black for a few seconds
4 the mobian logo comes back for a few seconds
5) screen goes black for a few seconds
6) lock screen appears.

Is anyone else having a similar issue? Does anyone know of any way to fix this without a new install? 

I don't have ssh access setup, although tinysshd is installed.
I can't say I've had a similar issue but I have noticed times where for some reason disconnecting the battery before restarting fixes an issue that a regular restart doesn't, so maybe give that a go.
August 27, 2021
I just downloaded the Aug. 27 nightly, and flashed it to an Adata micro sd card using Etcher, running on a PMOS convergent phone.

Don't forget to fill-in ALL the items in settings, including 'Region & Language' ! ( that solved a problem I had last year, texting I think it was. )

> First I watched a video from a link on Pine64's Pine phone intro page, using the onboard cellular data.

> Next I did a software update using the onboard 'Software Store' ( I did the update using wifi ) that seemed to go well.

> Did a couple of calls and texts, also ok...

So that was just a short test, I did not test everything that quickly, but for a quick test this nightly release looks pretty good "Out of the Box"

NOTE : Not a huge deal, but I do wish they would update the title page, it still says "OS NAME : Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(08-27-2021, 03:00 AM)bcnaz Wrote: August 27, 2021
I just downloaded the Aug. 27 nightly,  and flashed it to an Adata micro sd card using Etcher,  running on a PMOS convergent phone.

Don't forget to fill-in ALL the items in settings,  including 'Region & Language'  !    ( that solved a problem I had last year, texting I think it was. )

>  First I watched a video from a link on Pine64's  Pine phone intro page,  using the onboard cellular data.

> Next I did a software update using the onboard 'Software Store'  ( I did the update using wifi )  that seemed to go well.

>  Did a couple of calls and texts,  also ok...

So that was just a short test,  I did not test everything that quickly,  but for a quick test this nightly release looks pretty good  "Out of the Box"

NOTE :  Not a huge deal, but I do wish they would update the title page,  it still says    "OS NAME : Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)

The OS name has yet to trickle down from upstream but it should be there soon enough. For what it's worth, I've never had any real success updating from the software store so congrats on that. As far as I'm concerned it just doesn't exist.
I just installed the latest bookworm updates and also updated to the 5.13 kernel. (I did set screen brightness in rc.local before installing 5.13.)

Doing some quick tests things seem to be working well. The GUI seems to be a bit more responsive and less glitchy.  (Also noticed a change in the "Web" icon across the top.) The phone wakes out of sleep for an incoming call very quickly and there is an improved screen for picking up the call without having to log back in. I did not test SMS reception because that's something I don't use.

Video playback is much improved. The "Videos" (Totem) player now works. Video playback quality between that, mpv, and VLC seems to be about the same now. (Previously VLC would hardly work for videos at all, would just display still images while audio played, and Totem would just display an error message.) I've found the VLC interface work the best for controlling playback (nice big buttons for fumbly fingers) so I've set that as my default player for now.

Also interesting is that screen orientation is working in 360 degree rotation.  That's a feature I usually keep turned off but I tried it to go widescreen on testing video playback. I could have sworn that the last time I used it the screen would only rotate 90 degrees between portrait and landscape view.

As far as power consumption I have no idea if that's improved or not in the new kernel. I keep the phone turned off most of the time anyway.

So there seems to have been some real improvements made in the last week since I last updated. Kudos to the developers! (Time to make another image backup...)
Thanks to all the brave souls testing and (importantly!) providing feedback!  The more I keep reading this thread, the more confidence I gain about maybe giving it a try.  Smile

The mere fact we can boot from either internal eMMC or sd card (while leaving the former untouched) is such an awesome advantage over Android for instance.  I think a lot is said about the "deficiencies" of GNU/Linux phones, but not enough about these sort of advantages.  Personally, even though it's still "early days", I find myself very often "tickled to death" (very happy) with certain aspects of this phone.  Heart
Cheers,
TRS-80

What is Free Software and why is it so important for society?

Protocols, not Platforms

For the most Linux-y experience on your Linux phone, try SXMO!

I am (nominally) the Armbian Maintainer for PineBook Pro (although severely lacking in time these days).

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  bookworm vs trixie discussion for mobian in pinephone regular. zetabeta 15 2,000 03-25-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: anonymous
  Problem with updates: Repository 'Debian bookworm' changed its 'non-free component' Anna 7 2,364 08-31-2023, 12:38 PM
Last Post: vusra
  Debian bookworm security repo user641 2 1,570 02-17-2023, 01:12 AM
Last Post: user641
  Bookworm Satellite Navigation biketool 7 3,224 09-02-2022, 01:42 PM
Last Post: vortex
  GPS/location services don't work with Maps after Bookworm upgrade Anna 16 10,172 06-13-2022, 02:37 PM
Last Post: wibble
  Bookworm Navigation Enabler Script biketool 2 1,532 06-02-2022, 04:12 AM
Last Post: biketool
  Flatpak on Bookworm biketool 0 907 05-25-2022, 03:47 PM
Last Post: biketool
  chatty v0.6 in Bookworm at last! treebeard 13 7,687 02-13-2022, 05:21 PM
Last Post: treebeard
  Waydroid Intallation on Bookworm Dinosaur1946 6 4,475 01-30-2022, 12:03 AM
Last Post: Dinosaur1946
  Safe to upgrade Bookworm again? nelstomlinson 2 2,481 10-12-2021, 03:45 AM
Last Post: bcnaz