Bookworm
(08-20-2021, 02:58 AM)battlegarden Wrote:
(08-18-2021, 09:24 AM)ragreenburg Wrote:
(08-18-2021, 06:21 AM)battlegarden Wrote: For now it works fine. Good imprevement on the calls reception when locked.

Do you mean that calls are coming in earlier when the phone is locked?

Yes, there's a new interface on the lock screen that allows you to receive calls without unlocking. You can't use the dial pad though, you just need to unlock after receiving the call. For me it works much better than before.

I could be wrong but I think that came in with `Phosh 0.13` which happens to be the last update I got on Mobian since I haven't switch to Bookworm yet. I do agree though, that is way better. Same with lock screen notifications which are a huge step to making this feel like an actual phone.

(08-20-2021, 06:14 AM)Zebulon Walton Wrote: Yes, huge improvement on receiving calls when the phone is sleeping. The phone wakes up noticeably faster and can be answered direct from the lock screen.

There are minor nits, I have not been able to get my custom sound profile for ringtone working, though it's possible I missed something setting it up, will have to double-check. The totem video player is not working and others the video is choppy. As noted before, still no bluetooth audio for calls, still have to plug wired headset in after the call is connected for the mic to work, plus minor GUI glitches (poor sizing of apps) and other minor issues. Overall though a big improvement for basic call functionality.

For now I'm running off an SD card without encryption. (I don't keep any sensitive info on the phone anyway.) When ready to update my eMMC installation to bookworm, is it a matter of just updating the repositories and running apt-get dist-upgrade? Or is it necessary to do a fresh installation?

My understanding from their blog post is that you don't need a fresh install, just update the repos and upgrade.
(08-20-2021, 01:37 PM)ragreenburg Wrote: [quote="battlegarden" pid="99033" dateline="1629449901"]
My understanding from their blog post is that you don't need a fresh install, just update the repos and upgrade.

I'll have to give that a try when I get the chance. (I have a current image backup of the eMMC if things go horribly wrong.)
I downloaded the August 20 nightly from the Mobian website and flashed that to an sd card.

That shows the Bookworm repositories "pre-installed".

The installed  "Software Store"  only shows what is currently 'installed'  ...  So no 'shopping' from the onboard store.  :-(

Otherwise Bookworm seems to be running pretty well.  :-)

This is on a PMOS convergent phone,   Running from an sd card,  It is using Pure Talk cell service,  Onboard data works, but Hot Spot does Not.  :-(
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
With an image backup on hand, I decided to take the plunge and set up bookworm on my eMMC. Changed the repositories, ran "apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade", rebooted and it seems to be fine. As with bookworm on the SD card calling works reliably now and calls can be answered on the login screen when the phone is woken up from sleep, and that wakeup takes place almost imeediately. (If something breaks later as development proceeds I can always revert back to my image backup or just boot off my working SD card.)

The only thing I notice is that my custom ringtone no longer plays, so either custom ringtones just do not work any more or the method for setting it has changed. (I could not get that to work on the SD card either.) A small price to pay for the improvements though and I'm sure at some point it will work again.

Kernel version is 5.10. I've seen mention in other threads of upgrading to kernel 5.13. What are the advantages of doing that, and how do you install it? (Does it need to be built from source?)
(08-21-2021, 12:37 PM)Zebulon Walton Wrote: Kernel version is 5.10. I've seen mention in other threads of upgrading to kernel 5.13. What are the advantages of doing that, and how do you install it? (Does it need to be built from source?)

apt search linux-image | grep sunxi, will give you an idea of what is available.
apt install linux-image-5.13-sunxi64 should install the kernel.
I am not sure if it's better. Audio quality seems better, battery life not sure..
As I already said, set the backlight brightness to the maximum on the ui before rebooting, or set it in /etc/rc.local after having enabled rc.local
Thanks, maybe will give 5.13 a try booting from an SD card and see how it works out. The screen brightness thing sounds a bit odd, do you need to crank it up full for just the first boot on the new kernel or does it need to be left that way?
(08-22-2021, 03:09 PM)Zebulon Walton Wrote: The screen brightness thing sounds a bit odd, do you need to crank it up full for just the first boot on the new kernel or does it need to be left that way?

Phosh ui minimum setting in 5.10 gives you some brightness. No brightness at all with 5.13. That's why it is advisible to set the backlight brightness in rc.local. Just a hard reset if you manage to set the backlight brightness to minimum in Phosh
..running 2 PMOS conv. phones side by side, one with July nightly updated. One with August 22 nightly.
  at idle with just the modem on,  the July phone is discharging at 3.1 - 3.2 watts,  while the August 22 phone is showing a discharge of 2.4 - 2.5 watts.
So a bit of progress under the hood.
  Also I was able to do a GUI Store software update using cellular data...

Sent from my PMOS phone, using PureTalk data.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(08-22-2021, 11:28 PM)fernando_c_m Wrote: Phosh ui minimum setting in 5.10 gives you some brightness. No brightness at all with 5.13. That's why it is advisible to set the backlight brightness in rc.local. Just a hard reset if you manage to set the backlight brightness to minimum in Phosh

Ah, interesting. I already have rc.local set up. What is the command for setting brightness in Phosh?
(08-23-2021, 08:06 AM)Zebulon Walton Wrote:
(08-22-2021, 11:28 PM)fernando_c_m Wrote: Phosh ui minimum setting in 5.10 gives you some brightness. No brightness at all with 5.13. That's why it is advisible to set the backlight brightness in rc.local. Just a hard reset if you manage to set the backlight brightness to minimum in Phosh

Ah, interesting. I already have rc.local set up. What is the command for setting brightness in Phosh?

I would also like to know the command for brightness and how does one "set up" an rc.local? What is inside that file?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  bookworm vs trixie discussion for mobian in pinephone regular. zetabeta 15 1,965 03-25-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: anonymous
  Problem with updates: Repository 'Debian bookworm' changed its 'non-free component' Anna 7 2,315 08-31-2023, 12:38 PM
Last Post: vusra
  Debian bookworm security repo user641 2 1,549 02-17-2023, 01:12 AM
Last Post: user641
  Bookworm Satellite Navigation biketool 7 3,199 09-02-2022, 01:42 PM
Last Post: vortex
  GPS/location services don't work with Maps after Bookworm upgrade Anna 16 10,160 06-13-2022, 02:37 PM
Last Post: wibble
  Bookworm Navigation Enabler Script biketool 2 1,521 06-02-2022, 04:12 AM
Last Post: biketool
  Flatpak on Bookworm biketool 0 899 05-25-2022, 03:47 PM
Last Post: biketool
  chatty v0.6 in Bookworm at last! treebeard 13 7,674 02-13-2022, 05:21 PM
Last Post: treebeard
  Waydroid Intallation on Bookworm Dinosaur1946 6 4,469 01-30-2022, 12:03 AM
Last Post: Dinosaur1946
  Safe to upgrade Bookworm again? nelstomlinson 2 2,480 10-12-2021, 03:45 AM
Last Post: bcnaz