Bookworm
(01-26-2022, 02:45 AM)bcnaz Wrote: *****
Newegg has 16gb class 10 Verbatim micro sd cards for $3.99 USD  Free shipping

What good is a mirco sd card if you can't use it? Smile
Sure you can use it, --> it is just not the same Procedure that we are used to using.

But if you simply block the eMMC from booting, -- then it will boot from the next bootable drive, --- such as your micro-sd card.

Above I assumed you were referring to the new Pro phone.

Then I noticed your 'link', and read what was posted there.

That bug did not affect everyone, ---> and of the ten sd cards that poster tested only the SanDisk sd card seemed to cause this.
> A second poster said he had the same problem, also using a SanDisk sd card.

----> it appears a few sd cards have a "Power off Indicator" built into the card and this is what is causing the problem per your linked article.

I do use a variety of brands that includes SanDisk and I have not noticed this problem in the recent past.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(01-26-2022, 05:29 AM)beta-user Wrote:
(01-26-2022, 02:45 AM)bcnaz Wrote: *****
Newegg has 16gb class 10 Verbatim micro sd cards for $3.99 USD  Free shipping

What good is a mirco sd card if you can't use it? Smile

CORRECTION :  NEWEGG contacted me that they canceled my order --> because they "Over-sold"   (aw !)

I just got my new Pine phone Pro  WHoopie

ah ... ? ..  this thread is Bookworm, my new Pro is running Bookworm,  is it ok to discuss both phones on this thread as long as we are talking Mobian.. Huh

Just include which phone you are referring to in our discussions ?

OR should the original phones discuss mobian on a thread and the Pro phones start a new thread... ?

Which way will make it easier to find the help you seek ?

Anyhow  I tried out the "factory installed OS"  of course first.  It takes a while to start, in settings lots of stuf is grayed out.
It wanted to update, clicked that --> failed.   Not to diss that system  -- but it just ain't me.

I put in the Mobian sd card, booted up into familiar scenery...  not quite as functional as Mobian on the original Pine phone YET.

COOL they show the keyboard battery and the phone battery in settings on the 'Pro release' of Mobian...  

There do seem to be charging issues,  My org Pine phone feels cold these days,  but the new Pro is super HOT.

--> calls and text work  did some wifi surfing have not tried cell data yet.

My keyboard is on an original Pine phone for now,   try the two new devices on their own first,  together later.

I used Disks to wipe the eMMC while using the sd card, --> now it boots straight to my sd card
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(02-01-2022, 01:50 AM)bcnaz Wrote: I just got my new Pine phone Pro  WHoopie

ah ... ? ..  this thread is Bookworm, my new Pro is running Bookworm,  is it ok to discuss both phones on this thread as long as we are talking Mobian.. Huh

OR should the original phones discuss mobian on a thread and the Pro phones start a new thread... ?

Congrats! I don't think a new thread is necessary, but it might make sense to separate them. Maybe wait until moderators create a Mobian category for PinePhone Pro Big Grin.

(02-01-2022, 01:50 AM)bcnaz Wrote: There do seem to be charging issues,  My org Pine phone feels cold these days,  but the new Pro is super HOT.

Is it hot only during charging or during normal use? I'm curious what the actual temperatures are. My regular PinePhone reaches 50°C without doing any heavy tasks.
(02-01-2022, 04:18 AM)beta-user Wrote:
(02-01-2022, 01:50 AM)bcnaz Wrote: I just got my new Pine phone Pro  WHoopie

Congrats! I don't think a new thread is necessary, but it might make sense to separate them. Maybe wait until moderators create a Mobian category for PinePhone Pro Big Grin.

(02-01-2022, 01:50 AM)bcnaz Wrote: There do seem to be charging issues,  My org Pine phone feels cold these days,  but the new Pro is super HOT.

Is it hot only during charging or during normal use? I'm curious what the actual temperatures are. My regular PinePhone reaches 50°C without doing any heavy tasks.
My Pro got quite warm while charging but not terribly so during usage. That being said, I also didn't do to many things aside from playing around with the settings and installing a few packages.
.... same here.
It got very warm charging, but I am posting with my new Pro
Now and it is just a little warm.

So the Pure Talk sim card is working for data. Wifi is turned off for now.
I expected problems with starting my new Pro ----

... >> I have seen so many posts with people having problems starting
their new Explorer Edition phones.

Ant-climatic ---> mine just started and ran...?
and
'Course I just had to have Mobian on it.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
I haven't try this but now thinking to do so ....
Warning :  Explorer Edition

On the Explorer Edition  running bookworm,  ---> the boot indicator light is not showing, ---> but the phone does boot,
but you  do have to wait a while  --->  while looking at a black screen....

Did a GUI update

... I had to do a 12 second power button press after the  'restart screen',  -->  then a 2 second (start) press  when starting the update...

The same when it rebooted after the update  ---> 12 second press  followed by a 2 second press.

Kinda flying in the dark without the boot indicator light...

A little bit of PATIENCE is needed  ! ---> (OK ! maybe a lot of patience, -- but it is worth the wait)

Meanwhile the phone is usable,  just a few quirks.  ---> AND  I  AM GLAD TO HAVE MY PINE PHONES !

YEAH  that dark screen can be scary,  but just wait a little while,  ---> We are on the cutting edge, 

--->  The boot light is working fine on the original Pinephone,  this problem is only on the Explorer.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
There was a forum member from Utah, USA who
did a fine job of comparing :
"Out of the Box Distro's" ( @plainenough )

some time back and did a real fine job.

That's Best done by someone who is impartial.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(02-02-2022, 10:51 PM)bcnaz Wrote: There was a forum member from Utah, USA  who
did a fine job of comparing :
"Out of the Box  Distro's"    ( @plainenough )

some time back and did a real fine job.

That's Best done by someone who is impartial.

Why compare after Bookworm? Big Grin

I just switched to bookworm.  Yea I waited but I was letting the dust settle, as the Mobian blog suggested, and then saw your suggestions in forum to upgrade.

And wow! 

Wayland is snappier!  The UI just seems to be more responsive / less latent, and switches app context much quicker.

All top menu toggle icons work now (under Bullseye some toggles just did nothing, like Torch).

Calendar size/scale is fixed.  Megapixels UI has more settings.

Occasionally apps crash, like Megapixels after taking many back-2-back pics.

+1 to Bookworm.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  bookworm vs trixie discussion for mobian in pinephone regular. zetabeta 15 1,865 03-25-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: anonymous
  Problem with updates: Repository 'Debian bookworm' changed its 'non-free component' Anna 7 2,280 08-31-2023, 12:38 PM
Last Post: vusra
  Debian bookworm security repo user641 2 1,546 02-17-2023, 01:12 AM
Last Post: user641
  Bookworm Satellite Navigation biketool 7 3,169 09-02-2022, 01:42 PM
Last Post: vortex
  GPS/location services don't work with Maps after Bookworm upgrade Anna 16 10,090 06-13-2022, 02:37 PM
Last Post: wibble
  Bookworm Navigation Enabler Script biketool 2 1,512 06-02-2022, 04:12 AM
Last Post: biketool
  Flatpak on Bookworm biketool 0 894 05-25-2022, 03:47 PM
Last Post: biketool
  chatty v0.6 in Bookworm at last! treebeard 13 7,627 02-13-2022, 05:21 PM
Last Post: treebeard
  Waydroid Intallation on Bookworm Dinosaur1946 6 4,455 01-30-2022, 12:03 AM
Last Post: Dinosaur1946
  Safe to upgrade Bookworm again? nelstomlinson 2 2,471 10-12-2021, 03:45 AM
Last Post: bcnaz