Is there a better calendar app?
I don't mind the default one with Phosh but I feel like it isn't super mobile friendly with the really small buttons and whatnot. Anyone know of a better calendar app?
(08-16-2021, 02:37 PM)ragreenburg Wrote: I don't mind the default one with Phosh but I feel like it isn't super mobile friendly with the really small buttons and whatnot. Anyone know of a better calendar app?

Agree, that the one included in Phosh is not (yet) mobile screen friendly. Better options are Calindori in PlaMo or probably the best one - Calendar app in SailfishOS, but both require the change of "ecosystem" Big Grin
(08-17-2021, 02:32 AM)acrux Wrote:
(08-16-2021, 02:37 PM)ragreenburg Wrote: I don't mind the default one with Phosh but I feel like it isn't super mobile friendly with the really small buttons and whatnot. Anyone know of a better calendar app?

Agree, that the one included in Phosh is not (yet) mobile screen friendly. Better options are Calindori in PlaMo or probably the best one - Calendar app in SailfishOS, but both require the change of "ecosystem" Big Grin

Yeah, I tried buidling Calindori from source and that certainly didn't work unfortunately. I like the look and feel of Sailfish but it is so far away from being a usable OS on the Pine Phone that it is unfortunately a hard pass from me. Also, is Plasma Mobile any good yet? I tried to use it on probably 5-6 different occasions and could never get it to last more than an hour (or an update) without it breaking entirely.
The best Linux calendar I've found is the Emacs Diary. It uses a superset of the classic "calendar" syntax and integrates with appointments for notifications. Since it's a human written file it's easy to keep in git with all your other stuff.
(08-17-2021, 10:09 AM)swiley Wrote: The best Linux calendar I've found is the Emacs Diary. It uses a superset of the classic "calendar" syntax and integrates with appointments for notifications. Since it's a human written file it's easy to keep in git with all your other stuff.

Can that give notifications though? I tried using Org Mode to make a bunch of to-do's and put them on deadlines but I couldn't get notifications to work in the background. Basically to me a calendar just needs to be able to say "Hey, it is 8:00am, don't forget to do blank".
(08-17-2021, 10:33 AM)ragreenburg Wrote:
(08-17-2021, 10:09 AM)swiley Wrote: The best Linux calendar I've found is the Emacs Diary. It uses a superset of the classic "calendar" syntax and integrates with appointments for notifications. Since it's a human written file it's easy to keep in git with all your other stuff.

Can that give notifications though? I tried using Org Mode to make a bunch of to-do's and put them on deadlines but I couldn't get notifications to work in the background. Basically to me a calendar just needs to be able to say "Hey, it is 8:00am, don't forget to do blank".

I've never had it generate desktop notifications as I use an overlapping window manager on my phone so I can usually see the emacs window. This SE post shows someone calling notify-send from a hook though: https://emacs.stackexchange.com/question...eea37d80fe
(08-17-2021, 10:39 AM)swiley Wrote:
(08-17-2021, 10:33 AM)ragreenburg Wrote:

I've never had it generate desktop notifications as I use an overlapping window manager on my phone so I can usually see the emacs window. This SE post shows someone calling notify-send from a hook though: https://emacs.stackexchange.com/question...eea37d80fe
I want to keep Emacs closed when I can because I want to preserve RAM and try and keep the battery lasting as long as I can. I have unfortunately tried notify-send a few times and have found it to be much more work than it seems. I've followed a few tutorials on it and every times they're like "Now you should be receiving notifications" but mine never work.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nextcloud Calendar and Contacts mark1250 3 1,402 12-29-2022, 07:27 PM
Last Post: mark1250
  Synchronizing: How do you sync / synchronize Calendar and Contacts with your desktop? Anna 15 14,259 11-04-2021, 03:54 AM
Last Post: Maus
  Thunderbird for Calendar and Email rp3 2 3,958 01-12-2021, 06:02 AM
Last Post: rp3
Lightbulb Calendar and syncthing cybercow 1 2,468 11-17-2020, 10:43 AM
Last Post: Lousy Fisherman