4G disconnect requires reboot
I've running Manjaro Linux Mobile Plasma, and 4G connectivity is unreliable.
Sometimes it will just show "modem busy" or "the modem shows no carrier" messages, while other times it will connect properly. But next time it disconnects from the 4G network which could be 30 minutes to over 24 hours, it will not recover. The only option I have found so far is to reboot the phone. Sometimes, I have to do this 5 to 10 times to get a connection. Is there anything I could do to prevent this issue, or at least force reconnect without a reboot each time the connection is lost? Thank you.
Have you tried using a different OS via an sd card ?
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
Yes. My main goal is to use PinePhone as a hotspot. I received the phone with PostMarketOS beta, and it worked OK the few minutes I tried. But since it was an older beta without a possibility for OTA upgrade, I switched to Manjaro Linux Plasma Mobile since I understand it's the default OS for PinePhone going forward.

I've also tried the latest version of PostMarketOS, and I can connect to 4G without problem, and setup a hotspot, but while 4G data is working from the PinePhone, and I can connect from my other phone or laptop to the hotspot, there's no internet connectivity. It looks like the kernel needs to be recompiled with a different .config file to make that work https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?...t+internet for this to work.

I still think it might be good to make 4G work reliably on Manjaro Linux, especially if future PinePhone will ship with it by default.
I'm having the same issue. Rebooting does not always correct the problem. Are there any commands I can type into Terminal which can reset the modem so it will try to reconnect to my mobile network?
(10-01-2021, 09:40 AM)Katsujinken Wrote: Are there any commands I can type into Terminal which can reset the modem so it will try to reconnect to my mobile network?
I have used "sudo systemctl restart ofonoctl.service"
In this topic, I see the following which sounds like what to do:

https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=14342

> I switched from --test-quick-suspend-resume to --test-no-suspend-resume a couple days ago and the modem has not disconnected at all. I don't know why we have broken things as the default.

HOWEVER: I have my pinephone and it came with manjaro out of the box. But not Phosh, just with Plasma mobile I think. I am fine with that but no idea how to make these changes on there.

Also is plasma mobile still developed in the same way as phosh + manjaro or is it being phased out or something?
I mean I update the phone and uname -a says it is some may 8th date and 5.12

I use the phone as daily driver but one friend of mine complains sometimes he cannot call me... and this might fix it, but I have no idea about the ecosystem so it is likely annoying for those who want to call me. I use a customized arch on my daily driver laptop as its only OS for year, have it configured on various sbc computers, had it on servers previously (while I still had those) and generally have linux knowledge, but not sure at all how the ecosystem evolves in case of the pinephone software side and manjaro so likely my question sounds noob, but please anyone who knows answers let me know them too. ;-)
Think this way - if the fix is so easy then why all PinePhone OS communities have already not adapted it? Smile
PinePhone in its current state is not meant for use as a daily driver. However - it can be used so if your expectations match it's state Tongue
If you are familiar with Arch - Manjaro is very similar. I think Plasma Mobile has been chosen because Phosh is designed for Purism phone - diversity is important Wink
I tried a recent release of Plasma/Manjaro on one of my test phones... (October 7 or 8 )

I was quite disappointed, half the apps do not even open, the ones that do open are very rough to operate.

I did manage to make test calls both in and out, also text both in and out, just after the installation.
(Data did not work as the APN information I entered kept disappearing)

I left the phone turned on, on the charger overnight. The next morning it had multiple pages of 'notifications' of :
"Modem disconnected", "modem connected", over and over and over......

I have not seen that on Phosh/Manjaro, ... or any of the other Distro's I have tried out. ... (so far)
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(10-09-2021, 07:56 PM)bcnaz Wrote: I tried a recent release of Plasma/Manjaro on one of my test phones...  (October 7 or 8 )
Recent beta release is beta 7.
Running it here (+ updates using "sudo pacman -Syu").
Mobile data connection startup takes here some time (could be several minutes), after that it works ok. Default APN works here.
It sounds like my best bet to find some unused SD card and install other images to it.

As an overall look I like sxmo best so far, but in the long run I will buy the keyboard when finally available and it will be always on the phone so maybe should try having a regular dwm alone somehow from that on. But I did not know before that distros differ this much on the pinephone as one is using Modem-manager already and other uses ofono and such things. Likely best to try around.

On regular machines I am pretty familiar with linux and I am a developer (even touch kernel source for bugfix once) just so far I tried to play safe by using the "official" distro for the phone because it is daily driver. Must say though that modem disconnet happens rarely for me however I am not using 4g all the time neither, just modem for calls sometimes still disconnect. Maybe if I would be online all the time, the issue would manifest itself more regularly.

The issue also looks to be a little-bit power related because it manifests itself more rarely in my experience if the phone is always at least above 70%. Had it happen even then, but this is what I feel.

Thanks for all who messaged, now acctually after researching more around the ecosystem I see more clearly what is what. Just I did not expect so many things going on in parallel with different approaches of distros already. I mean  I see that on regular PC distros too of course just kind of thought there is no manpower for that to happen this early but open source do have it already growing in many directions even on the pinephone ;-)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New phone, KDE desktop settings reset on reboot zzb0 2 1,741 10-15-2023, 10:19 PM
Last Post: Kevin Kofler
  Setup/settings lost on reset/reboot GrapeJuice 0 1,002 02-10-2022, 05:40 AM
Last Post: GrapeJuice
  Can't login after reboot dpli 2 2,484 05-12-2021, 03:51 AM
Last Post: dpli
  Mobile Data toggle not retained after reboot Shane 0 1,438 12-23-2020, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Shane