maps and navigation
recently I found Pure Maps does not work in Postmarket Plasma or in Postmarket sxmo. Are there any well working map / nav apps to be used in PostmarketOS?
I haven't tried the navigation except having it connect to a routing service but Marble (the kde map app) is pretty good. I've only tested it on FVWM.
I have been on Ubuntu Touch; PostmarketOS; Mobian; Manjaro ARM; /e/ OS and have yet to find an open source navigation option that comes anywhere close to Google Maps. I have tried Pure Maps; uNav; and Marble. In many case I can't even get my current location to be correct via GPS on any of the apps. The best alternative I can find is Magic Earth on /e/ and that is closed source as well as not always that great anyway.
PinePhone BraveHeart Edition

Pinephone Convergence

PineTab

RockPro64
(08-20-2021, 09:52 AM)publiclewdness Wrote: I have been on Ubuntu Touch; PostmarketOS; Mobian; Manjaro ARM; /e/ OS and have yet to find an open source navigation option that comes anywhere close to Google Maps.  I have tried Pure Maps; uNav; and Marble. In many case I can't even get my current location to be correct via GPS on any of the apps. The best alternative I can find is Magic Earth on /e/ and that is closed source as well as not always that great anyway.

I like PureMaps quite well and of course open software is having a hard time against Google. But the navigation, also offline navigation, different available maps is very ok and precise. In Manjaro Plasma Mobile it works perfectly but not in PostMarket sxmo. Which is a pity, as I like the lean concept of postmarket and sxmo.
Other distros I am not hopping currently.
I have found gnome maps works somewhat good on Manjaro out of the box. You can get a set of directions to use with the map when you are on wifi. However under cell coverage it don't work.

Nothing works out of the box (regarding maps-gps) with postmarketos. It might be theoretically possible to set up Pure Maps and OSM Scout Server, but I tried and it was very painful. That client-server setup is just too complicated.

Gnome maps does NOT work out of the box on PostmarketOS. I would like to know how to get it working, because the UI provided by PostmarketOS is much nicer than Manjaro Plasma.
I'm working on Mepo: https://sr.ht/~mil/mepo/

Currently Sxmo is supported the best; for the next release it'll have Phosh support. It's a minimalist/hackable take on OSM maps - aiming to be fast and effective.

It's available on postmarketOS (alpine edge): `apk add mepo`

We just had the 0.3 release and there's an in-progress userguide at: https://git.sr.ht/~mil/mepo/tree/HEAD/doc/userguide.md

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Installing pure-maps from repository sokolgeo 3 3,971 12-23-2020, 11:52 AM
Last Post: sokolgeo